Author Topic: Mixing Studded and Studless Winter Tires  (Read 4169 times)

steverino

Mixing Studded and Studless Winter Tires
« on: October 24, 2005, 05:17:11 pm »
I recently purchased a set of used steel rims, that included two almost new studded winter tires.
However, nobody around here seems to sell studded tires.  Also, I have been warned that studded tires can be hard on the transmission - if some of the studs fall out, then one wheel could slip while the other has grip, thereby stressing the transmission.

Am I correct to think that since I have a front-wheel drive vehicle, I could put the two studded tires on the rear wheels (thereby avoiding the rist of stressing the transmission), and two non-studded winter tires on the front?

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
Re: Mixing Studded and Studless Winter Tires
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 05:25:57 pm »
Smarter ppl than I will respond, but I don't think it's a good idea to mix studded with non-studded tires. I'm sure someone can explain this to better than I can.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline footlong58

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2007 Toyota Yaris, 2014 Chevrolet Trax, 2008 Buell, 2005 Yamaha V Star
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 05:41:25 pm »
I would say it's fine, as long as the studded tires are on the rear (you want the tires with the most traction on the back of any vehicle)...

At minimum, two of any of the same tire should be a least mounted on the same axle...

morty

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2005, 01:39:29 am »
Studded tires should be on all four. Spins....you dont want the spins :o

JD

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2005, 11:30:12 am »
In many provinces and cities studded tires are illegal and you'll get a nice fat ticket,...  Maybe the reason you got rims with almost new studded tyres was that the previous owner found out the hard way that studded tyres are illegal in your area...  :P

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2005, 01:29:22 pm »
.."A nice fat ticket!!" so you've met C_P...?......... 8) :cp2:
Time is to stop everything happening at once