Author Topic: wheel alignment after switching over to winter tires.  (Read 2778 times)

bigfoot

wheel alignment after switching over to winter tires.
« on: October 25, 2005, 10:13:42 am »
I switched over to my winter tires (mounted on different rims from my summers) and
noticed a slight bit of vibration in the steering wheel at highway speeds.  I don't believe
I noticed the vibration with my summer tires - furthermore, i inspected them for mis-alignment before
storing them - and didn't find any.

My summer tires are 205/50R15 and the winters are 195/60R14 - I am not sure if the
difference in width warrants an alignment.

Given that winter tires do tend to run a bit rough, how can i be sure that the vibration isn't
an alignment issue.  The last time i took the car into the garage over a similar issue - they performed an alignment before discovering that one of the lower control arms was the actually problem - and I had the joy of paying for both!

Thanks in advance for your advice!

msian

Re: wheel alignment after switching over to winter tires.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 10:20:54 am »
Do you mean a "wheel balance"?

Vibrations at highway speeds could very likely be due to a not-perfectly-balanced wheel/tire.

A bad alignment would usually cause abnormal tire wear that could be quite noticeable if the alignment is off by a lot. Does your car, say, pull to one side at highway speeds? Do you have to constantly correct steering?

bigfoot

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 10:46:40 am »
Do you mean a "wheel balance"?

Vibrations at highway speeds could very likely be due to a not-perfectly-balanced wheel/tire.

A bad alignment would usually cause abnormal tire wear that could be quite noticeable if the alignment is off by a lot. Does your car, say, pull to one side at highway speeds? Do you have to constantly correct steering?

I was referring to wheel alignment - but perhaps balancing could be a source as well.
I haven't noticed the car pulling to one side - but i haven't being looking out for it.  I will
looking for signs of pulling during my lunch time drive.

msian

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 10:54:40 am »
I could be wrong...but I don't believe a bad alignment would cause vibrations at highway speed unless the alignment had caused significant wear on your tires already.

Also, I don't believe a difference in negligible width in your case would warrant a wheel alignment either...

canadianexpress

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2005, 11:46:26 am »
is it possible if the Rims are not hub centric and causing the vibration?

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2005, 08:59:02 pm »
The vibration is not due to wheel alignment.  The "wheels" are still out of balance.  I broke down and bought my own static balancer.  Thing works fantastic.  Getting various wheel weights is a problem for many.

morty

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2005, 01:50:12 am »
Alignment and balance are 2 seperate entities. Bad alignment will not cause vibration, but a worn suspension part will. Sounds like it was a wheel balance problem and you have figured it out with an industrious solution.

bigfoot

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2005, 10:56:13 am »
Thanks for the advice everyone...i am going to monitor (as much as i can) the
tire wear and vibration through to the next oil change - hopefully, i will get a better indication
by then.

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2005, 12:13:57 pm »
Why not spend the $40 + tax to get them balanced?   :bang: