Author Topic: Better tread tires on the front OR back?  (Read 2865 times)

canadianexpress

Better tread tires on the front OR back?
« on: October 11, 2005, 11:20:03 am »
I have always been told to  put the better tread tires ( all 4 of the same brand ) on the front.  However there have been an instance where the tire dealer said to put them in the back.  Does any one have any expereince as to why that should be?

Thanks

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Re: Better tread tires on the front OR back?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005, 11:26:46 am »
Back please.  If you put them in the front your car will grip in the front on turns and could potentially swap ends with less grip in the rear.

barrie1

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 11:41:45 am »
I always prefer the best tires to be on the rear of the vehicle as the reason is, A blowout on the front end is easier to control because of the steering being on the front end. If you blow a rear tire its much harder to control the car as the rear end will start to waggle around until you can stopped safely. You can at least steer much easier with a blown front tire.  :)

03_ap1

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005, 07:10:23 pm »
I've always been told that better tires go on the back - those are your STABILITY tires which will prevent your back end from stepping out during turns or braking.

morty

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2005, 11:51:01 pm »
Better tires should go on the back...as stated. Just dont want the back end breaking loose and getting the spins. That being sdaid should have all 4 in good condition. Just as important to be able to steer.