Author Topic: Rims for Winter Tires or Winter Tires on Mags  (Read 4611 times)

Raymond

Rims for Winter Tires or Winter Tires on Mags
« on: October 12, 2005, 09:14:02 am »
Just purchased a brand new 2005 Honda Accord EX-L about a month ago.  Winter's coming on and after 30 years or so of switching all-season for winter tires on existing rims on the cars I have owned, I'm being told by one and all to buy winter rims so as not to damage the mags.  As well, the cost of winter rims will be less expensive than swithcing tires twice a year after x number of years

Over the years, I've seen these ugly winter rims on so many beautiful cars and understand the owner's rationale in preserving the looks of the mags.  However, I've had mags on the last two vehicles cars I've owned - Pontiac Bonneville (kept for 8 years) and Transport Van (11 Years) - and did not see the mags damaged after all these tire changes. 

I love the looks of my new Accord WITH the mags ... however, maybe I'm missing something (it's happened before  :-\ ) and would greatly appreciate your thoughts.

Offline Craig

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-1
    • View Profile
Re: Rims for Winter Tires or Winter Tires on Mags
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 09:18:57 am »
I just find it's easier to change the tires yourself when they're already mounted on rims.  I fully accept the steel rim "look" in the winter.

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2005, 09:23:54 am »
The wheel may not necessarily get damaged, but the tire sure can!  Buck up cowboy, and get some steelies.   ;)

morningla

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 10:28:40 am »
which city are you from?  and steelies don't look too bad on an 05 Accord.  If you had a Bentley, bemmer or benz, then it might look weird.

if you want, there are decent looking rims for $100 or so, but they'll be small since it'll be for winter tire.  might even look better with steelies?  Have you considered any older Honda rims?  I'm not sure of the fitment, but this page will help ya.

http://www.custom-spinning-car-truck-rims-wheels.com/bolt_patterns.htm

ps: it's too freaking bad they dispise Hyundai coz my cars are not on there.  but i know all my stuff already.

Raymond

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2005, 03:04:34 pm »
Thanks all for your info, much appreciated and all being considered.

morningla: you're right about having a Bentley, Benz or beamer with steelies, however, I suppose that my Accord is the only wannbe-Bentley that I can afford  ;) and so would like to enjoy the mags 12 months of the year.  And by the way, I live in Montreal.

Thinking about it  ::)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2005, 04:32:45 pm »
Check out some Honda forum and see what people are selling
I got some 17"mags for winter rims for our 323CI for $400, new steelies for a 323CI was like $80 pus taxes
You may be able to find some out there

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2005, 08:30:38 pm »
Canadian Tire can sell you 16" alloys for $400.  Not too bad looking, imo, but cheap (quality).  If you REALLY want alloys for winter use, I would suggest you try that, or buy used (ebay has plenty of stuff for sale).

morty

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2005, 12:07:05 am »
Another suggestion is use your stock alloys for winter and then buy some nice alloys to run in the summer months. We have many customers who go for this option. They figure why waste money on winter wheels when they would rather put their money towards a cool aftermarket wheel for summer. Both options work.