Author Topic: winter tires for camry se  (Read 1858 times)

thomson

winter tires for camry se
« on: October 22, 2005, 11:38:19 pm »
I have a 2005 camry se i4
The original tires are the crappy Bridgestone RE92 215/60R16 94V which did extemely poor in snow last year(I have~13000 km on it now)

I will be driving between toronto & waterloo in the coming winter
so I wonder what tires I should choose?
My current lists are:
-Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2
-Goodyear UltraGrip GW3
-Goodyear Assurance Tripletred

I has been thinking about tripletred because my RE92 seem to become so bad that even on heavy rains, it spins when I accelerate from dead stop. >:( Thus I think I may just get an excellent all-season tires to save cost with acceptable winter peroformance.

I think I need  H or T speed-rated tires because I will drive mostly highway during the winter, is that right?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2005, 07:54:23 pm by thomson »

Offline davidy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-3
    • View Profile
Re: winter tires for camry se
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 12:48:09 pm »
As others here will recommend, get yourself a set of four winter tires...preferably on it's own set of wheels. All season tires are incorrectly named, they should be referred to as three season tires or anything but winter.

A set of winter tires/wheels (rated for severe snow condition....mountain with a snow flake symbol) will extend the life of your stock tires and allow you to get excellent performance in snow and ice conditions.

Dave
2010 Ford Ranger FX4
Armaguard spray on liner
Truxedo Low Pro QT tonneau cover
Studded General Altimax Arctic P245/75-16 winter tires on black steelies

Offline Craig

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 06:10:53 pm »
The Pilot Alpins are pretty crappy by modern snow tire standards, and the TripleTreds are not snow tires.  The UltraGrips are probably the best bet among those listed, though there are lots of others out there, and on a Camry, an H or V-rating probably ain't a necessity.  Talk to your tire dealer, but not the one that suggested a TrupleTred for winter.

morty

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2005, 12:39:30 am »
Pilot Alpin has been replaced by the PA2, which is a very good tire. Application...application....application. If you pick a good tire for the wrong job you will be disappointed. If you are going to run all-seasons (bad idea) then you need to stay with the same speed rating as came with the car originally. If you are communting long distance through winter conditions....winter tires would be a wise investment. No matter how good an all-season is they are all the same in the snow...no good! Even the cheapest non-name winter tire will out perform the best A/S tire.