Author Topic: Winter tires for 2003 Corolla LE  (Read 3954 times)

DjaliPumpkin

Winter tires for 2003 Corolla LE
« on: September 30, 2005, 11:55:31 pm »
Hello everyone,

I need some help in selecting a set of winter tires (i'll need a set of wheels also) for my 03 Corolla LE.  I have driven the past three winters with stock all-season tires, and they just don't provide much traction (got stuck in the alleyway behind my garage a few times).

The size of the present stock tires are P195/65R15.  However, on the CE model, the tires are P185/65R15.  Should I go with the narrower tires? Or should I keep the same size as my present tires?

I live in downtown Toronto, our family doesn't do much driving.  There is about 25K on the odometer after 3.5 years, and most of the driving is done in the city.

Which brand/model of winter tires do you guys suggest I get?  And from where? (I heard Steelcase tires'n'mags is good)  In todays crappy tire, they have a Nordic Icetrac Package for $568 and a Michelin X-Ice Package (both 195/65/R15) for $784.  How would these be for the Corolla?  I don't have a set budget, but is the extra $220+tax worth it for the Michelins?

Thanks for reading the long post, I haven't purchased winter tires before.

Offline Craig

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-1
    • View Profile
Re: Winter tires for 2003 Corolla LE
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2005, 02:10:29 am »
Head up the 404 to Steelcase.  If you don't do much highway driving, the Nokian RSi would work very well on the Corolla.  The Hakka 2 is probably a little better in deep snow.  They also have a few other lines, like Gislaved (Swedish) and little-known "Champiro" by GT-Radial - an Indonesian brand at very attractive prices if that is a major concern.  Just try to avoid the place mid-day on a Saturday in snow tire season - it's a zoo.

morty

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2005, 02:27:15 pm »
I recommend staying with the OE size. Speedo will match up properly and there is good selection of winter tires in that size. Make sure you get hub-centric steel wheels. CT tends to sell what is known as Universal Steels, which are a multi-fit wheel. Difference is that the hub-centric wheel centres on the hub and the universals centre on studs. Centring on the studs often means the wheel does not bolt on properly and you end up with a vibration. Little more expensive, but well worth the headaches avoided.

Here are some options:

<A Href="http://www.tiretrends.com/Cart/view_cart.php3?invTable=TireDetail&add=11709">Winter Packages - 2003 Corolla CE</A>

Offline keithb

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2005, 06:39:19 pm »
Given that you are going from all season to snow tires then almost any snow tire will be a major improvement. I've used the Ice Trac on a Protege and currently use a Pirelli 160 (studded) on my 2003 Corolla. The Ice Trac and several similar tires from other manufactuers are focused towards what most people will come up against -plowed roads with hard icy surfaces or ice on pavement and no studs. They do a reasonable job but from my view, they
are a compromise (as is any tire) and suffer a bit for deep snow traction. I did find the Ice Trac tends to pull the car to the side when scrambling for traction in deep snow. The Pirelli is very noisy due to the studs but deep snow traction is super. From your description it sounds that the Ice Trac or the X-Ice will do the job but if you are looking for deep snow traction I would suggest you look at something else.

Offline hightech

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 02:54:54 pm »
Head up the 404 to Steelcase.  If you don't do much highway driving, the Nokian RSi would work very well on the Corolla.  The Hakka 2 is probably a little better in deep snow.  They also have a few other lines, like Gislaved (Swedish) and little-known "Champiro" by GT-Radial - an Indonesian brand at very attractive prices if that is a major concern.  Just try to avoid the place mid-day on a Saturday in snow tire season - it's a zoo.

Anyone seen any reviews on the Champiro GT Radial tires?  I was at Steelcase and they too recommended the same thing. Maybe Jim is saying the same thing to everyone.  I bought my existing Nokians from Steelcase and they have been good.  Prices are mid to high price at Steelcase I find though.

Offline Craig

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2005, 04:10:18 pm »
I'll let you know this winter - I bought a set for the EL.  I fully intended to buy Hakka 2s, but the Champiro is H-rated (OEM for the EL is V-rated), designed to be studless, is significantly less-expensive, and what little feedback I've found has been positive.  Comparitively, the Hakka 2 is T-rated and designed for studs, and the Hakka RSi is R-Rated (for speed, not nudity).  I really liked my previous Nokians, but the EL commutes mostly on major highways, and I appreciate a better-handling tire.

And while I don't mean to promote Morty's competition, Steelcase have always been good to me.  After three sets snows in three years, you start to recognize one-another.  They mentioned last time that tire prices are going up a little this year, and the premium for Nokians will be higher still.  The Nokian package I bought for the Matrix two years ago would cost me $100 more today.

Especially in an area without a lot of competition, I think TT would be a no-brainer.