Author Topic: Tire/wheel size/made for smooth/comfortable/quiet ride?  (Read 1991 times)

tigerb

Tire/wheel size/made for smooth/comfortable/quiet ride?
« on: October 03, 2005, 03:12:18 am »
Please educate me, if I ONLY care about smooth/comfortable/quiet ride and using the same EXACT car, does the tire size (15" or 16") and type of wheel (steel or alloy) make any difference? if they do, please tell me what should I be looking for when buying a new car as far as tires and wheels are concerned.

Thanks.

Traum

Re: Tire/wheel size/made for smooth/comfortable/quiet ride?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 03:24:30 am »
You see, regardless of which wheel size you choose, the overall circumference of the wheel/tire combo must remain within 2% to 3% of the manufacturer's specifications. Otherwise, your speedometer, total milage, acceleration, etc. will be thrown completely out of whack. If you use a bigger wheel, the sidewall of the tire has to be shorter to compensate. A shorter sidewall will be less capable of soaking up all the bumps and road irregularities.

So stick with the 15" if all you care about is smoothness, comfort, and quietness.

-Rick

morty

Re: Tire/wheel size/made for smooth/comfortable/quiet ride?
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 01:17:01 pm »
When buying a new car I would be inclined to base my decision more on the vehicle than the wheels and tires. Ride also has a lot to do with suspension. One thing that would help is going with a lower diameter option. So, if the vehicle is offered with 15, 16 and 17" packages, go with the 15" for a more supple ride.