Author Topic: Kumho KW19  (Read 4689 times)

cccsir

Kumho KW19
« on: September 29, 2005, 03:59:21 pm »
Has anyone had tried these tires out? I need winter tires for my civic. I do not do much driving with it in the winter time. Less than 3000KM. So I am not looking for expensive tires. The other tires I was looking at are the Toyo GO-2 plus, and the Perelli Winter Carving. I was going to down size and go to the 185/65/14.

Thanks for the help

morty

Re: Kumho KW19
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 04:19:09 pm »
Great tire regardless of price. You save and are safe.

cccsir

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 10:54:43 am »
Should I get studs put in ?

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 01:29:22 pm »
Just curious, cccsir - are you driving a '99 or '00 SiR?

I don't know where or how you drive, but thought I'd mention that putting Q-rated 185/65R14s on my '99 SiR was about the worst thing I've ever done, automotive-wise. Expect a very huge loss in handling and stability at highway speeds.

Sounds like your mind is made up, though, so I'd be curious to hear your thoughts once you get them put on.

As for studs, I think most folks would agree that they're not worth it nowadays, unless you are driving almost exclusively on unmaintained roads. I certainly wouldn't bother, unless perhaps I was living in Norman Wells and commuting to Fort Simpson on the ice highway, but then I probably wouldn't be driving an SiR either...

cccsir

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2005, 05:04:30 pm »
My SiR is a 2000 model. I think the kw19 are T rated tires(Q to T Much difference?). I do not to much highway driving in this car in the winter. Most of the winter travel is done at speeds of 80KM or less. If we get as much snow on the city streets here in Winterpeg as we did last year, studs might be a good idea. LOL

morty

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2005, 11:52:07 am »
Not a big proponent for studs. If you are in conditions where you drive on compact snow and ice through the whole winter. Yes, studs are a good idea. If you drive mostly on pavement with intermittent snow storms, then I will say bad idea. Studs actually decrease braking capability on wet pavement. They also get worn down and destroy roads in wet and dry driving.

As for the Q and T...if you are mostly worried about heavy snow conditions and dont do any high-speed driving then the Q/T are a better choice. If you live in a major urban area where you do a lot of high-speed commuting or there isnt snow all of the time; the H-rated winters are a better choice. SirCivic probably has different requirements from differing driving conditions. This shows how important it is to pick the appropriate tire.