Author Topic: Best All Season  (Read 2915 times)

canadianexpress

Best All Season
« on: September 30, 2005, 10:04:10 am »
I have an Acura 1.6EL (1998) and my tire size is 195-55-15.  I am wondering if anyone have a suggetion on the best all season (good in snow and reasonable good tread wear).  Someone suggested the Yokohama Avid T4.

thanks

gta_driver

Re: Best All Season
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 10:42:26 am »
Take a look at the Dunlop Sport A2 all-seasons as well. I have them on my Acura EL. I replaced the craptacular Firestone's that they came with. I've been very impressed with it handling and ride capabilities. The tire shines in heavy rain, slush and snow.

Offline Craig

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +2/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 08:42:52 pm »
I have the Yokohama Avid T4's on a '99 EL.  Purchased by previous owner.  Previous owner bought them because he went through two (maybe three) sets of tires in the 120K before them, and wanted better tread life.

I've put 12K on them.  They're good in the rain, but the sidewalls are a little soft for my liking.  As the OEM tires were V-rated, I intend to replace them with H-rated or better - treadwear rating be damned.  It can still be done cost-effectively with a lesser-known but reportedly quality tire like the Falken ZE-512 or similar.

I've already bought dedicated H-rated winter tires.  If they handle better than the Yokohamas, maybe I won't even take them off.  :P
« Last Edit: September 30, 2005, 08:47:35 pm by cphansen »

morty

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2005, 02:07:17 pm »
The car did come with V-rated tires and the T's that are on there will be soft sidewalled. As for best in the snow...they are all the same. If you are worried about snow you should be considering a dedicated winter. Rule is "if you can park it when there is snow then all-season tires are great. If you cant snow is the way to go!"

If you want good tread wear combined with wet ability without spending too much money here are some good suggestions:

Falken ZE512
Kumho Ecsta ASX
BFG Traction T/A

Traum

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2005, 07:43:41 pm »
My personal experience tells me that the Falken ZE512 doesn't have very good tread wear. Falken only guarantees them for 50,000km, I believe, and I honestly don't think mine are going to last that long. (I've driven around 8000km in them.) They do hang on to the road like leeches though.

-Rick

morty

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2005, 09:57:52 pm »
I agree that they are not as long lasting as the ASX or Traction T/A. However, for the price they offer exceptional wet traction and are a very good all around tire. Will not last as long, but if you want an inexpensive tire it is a good option.