Author Topic: Winter tire selection question  (Read 3474 times)

zeeboy47

Winter tire selection question
« on: September 27, 2005, 10:14:54 am »
Getting ready to drop a few more dollars on the new Highlander. I am looking for winter tires to load on the steel rims.
I'm in Montreal, and the local shops are all over the place touting their favorites.

The tires will be used for about 5000kms a year with 75% of it being city driving (may be forced to take a trip to Toronto in Feb). Choices are all the way from Michelin Latitude, to Herculese. I don't want to spend a fortune on them given the usage planned, but want to get something suitable. Given that they will probably last 4-5 years, spreading the cost difference over that time will lessen the blow.

The highest vote getters (my unofficial poll from vendor recommendations) are:
Toyo G02+ @$170+tax
Pirelli Scorpion Ice @$140+tax
Dean Wintercat SST @$125+tax
Bridgstone Winterforce @$105+tax

As you can see, some dealers will give me anything I want, but they all tell me that I should put the most expensive tires that they sell on the HL. Probably because it is where they make the most profit! :P

Anyone out there have the same profile that can offer coments on these choices, or alternatives.

Thanks in advance.

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
Re: Winter tire selection question
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 10:20:11 am »
I've been running Winterforce tires on the wife's car for 2 winters.  For the price, I think they are a good all around winter tire.  They are obviously softer than all season tires, and a bit noisier at highway speeds but it's not annoying.  I'd rather live with a bit of noise for the peace of mind they offer at a fair price.  The Winterforce will probably feel 'less sporty' than the Toyo or Pirelli.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 10:27:51 am »
Zee - I have already bot and they are sitting at the tire store for me, Continental 4x4 WinterContacts in the same size as the OEM tire, mounted on the base HL wheels. I looked also at Hancooks but opted for the Contis - I had them on the RAV and liked them (good grip and quiet at speed).  They are H rated. Price was between than the Pirelli and the Toyos on your list. I think the Pirellis are fine also. I wouldn't go too inexpensive on the HL.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

zeeboy47

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 11:01:29 am »
Thanks MrT. I already have a set of the winterforce on my ancient Cherokee, and as you said...they can't be called sporty!. In my case I was thinking that it was due to the 75/15 size. The HL takes 225/70/16, and with a bit less width they should reduce the float-factor. BTW, given the little mileage the GC gets, I have kept the winters on all year, and they still look new. On the other hand, the jeep did feel like it was all over the road in certain cases this summer.

Ovr. Not many vendors suggested the Conti's, even when I prodded them (I remembered you had these). Might be that they just don't carry them, or that they are not too popular in the area. I agree to not go too far down the line in winter tires for the HL, and that is why I eliminated 5 or 6 types to keep it at over $100 installed.

Right now I am leaning towards the Deans since I have already tried a different type of Scorpions (Unidirectional with deep tread on the inside, and finer tread on the outside), on the jeep, and got really poor mileage on them (Year round use). I am hoping that someone out there may have already tried them.....I was told that Cooper makes them for Dean, but Dean seems to have their own site on the web, so....

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 11:07:35 am »
Kuhmos, Nokians and Hankooks get high marks from others on the forum.  Have you considered these, or are they even available locally?

zeeboy47

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 12:21:05 pm »
Only 1 dealer offered Nokians, after I pressed him. Price was in the $175 plus tax range (installed and balanced)

Seems like only the big advertizers get any attention here, so the Goodyear, michelin, guys are being pushed heavily. The other push comes from what sold well the previous year for the dealer.

One dealer actually told me that he would get me whatever I wanted. All I had to do was research my needs, and he would order and install. ::) . He actually had the nerve to deem it to be his superior customer service method of selling tires.

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2005, 01:15:07 pm »
Have you ever considered ordering from TireTrends?  I haven't personally had any business with them, but a number of forum members have.  Just a thought....(Hi Morty   :hello:)

zeeboy47

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2005, 01:33:09 pm »
MrT,
Have looked into it, and find that once I add the installation and balancing, they are more expensive than locally. I guess if I was looking for a very specific tire, and it was not available locally, it might be worth it, but in my case there are more tire stores in a 20KM radius that you can shake a stick at! ;D There has got ot be something here that fits just right

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2005, 01:44:55 pm »
Zee - agree that the Contis are not as well known in Canada as other brands; but my tire shop (a friend) is keen on them and I've had good results with them already.

You have some good choices to pick from so I'm sure you'll end up with a tire that suits your needs.

morty

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2005, 04:36:41 pm »
FYI...we include mounting and RoadForce balancing for no charge. We'll also throw in free lug nuts. Oh and no PST because we ship from BC. Here are a few options:

http://www.tiretrends.com/wheel2/iuc_pview/winter_pview3.php?model=3875&year=2005

zeeboy47

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2005, 08:34:17 am »
Thanks Morty,
I was already aware of your added benefits, but I think it will be a challenge for you to install and balance the tires on my OEM steel rims here in Montreal ;D

BTW, the prices I showed were for the tires installed and balanced, minus the GST/Prov tax.

morty

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2005, 12:14:07 am »
I was referring to tire and wheel packages. We do have a problem installing just tires in Montreal...I guess we cant be everywhere :-[