Author Topic: New - Old Tires  (Read 2237 times)

Offline hoss

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-1
    • View Profile
New - Old Tires
« on: September 20, 2005, 10:31:19 am »
I just purchased a set of Goodyear Eagle GPS tires for my Integra, I got a discount on them, however when I went to install them I noticed they were shipped in July of 1999! I guess the tire were sitting a warehouse somewhere.  I have noticed that a lot of discussion has been about having a "best before date" on tires.  Should I return these tires and get something else, ( I have not installed them). Do I worry about them being so old?  Thanks for the help.

crolly

Re: New - Old Tires
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 11:20:01 am »
Hoss, that's more than 6 years old!  :o

That's not good.  Over time tires oxidize just like any organic compound.  Oxidation alters the property of the rubber making it less flexible and brittle.

I recommend you give it back to them and get a new set shipped within this year.

Resident expert Mort will be along to give take on this matter.  Hang in there man.

morty

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 01:45:35 pm »
A bit old. Tires continue to cure from the day they are manufactured til the day they die. Basically the compound gets harder and harder and the grip capability diminishes over time. If you run those tires for 3 years they will be over 9 years old. Hope you got a good deal.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2005, 05:57:50 pm »
TAKE THEM BACK     

the US gov is shortly going to make the sale of tires >6 years old illegal and yours are 6 years old now.  why take the (slightly) higher risk of them failing from old age
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

avtoller

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2005, 06:14:36 pm »
I too would try to return them if possible. Tires are, in my humble opinion, the single most important piece of safety equipment you will ever have on a car. Don't do anything that may compromise the only contact between your car and the road.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2005, 07:27:20 pm »
Yes this explains why I have no grip on my car, my tires are '01's :(

froggy