Author Topic: Tires for a Quad-Cab 4*4 Dakota.?? Suggestions?  (Read 6147 times)

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
Tires for a Quad-Cab 4*4 Dakota.?? Suggestions?
« on: September 14, 2005, 02:07:46 pm »
Getting close to pulling the trigger on a set of new boots for the Dakota. The current Goodyear RTS still have about 30% tread at 80 000kms but they were snakey in the snow last year. The tread has cracking around all the little tread blocks. I could try to milk another year out of them but I am only delaying the inevitable. Size is 265/70-16.

Anyhow I have two favorites so far:

1)Michelin LTX M/S. Good rolling resistance, quiet, good snow performance. A little pricey but Costco quoted me $928 installed all taxes in.

2)Firestone Destination LE. Good reports from various sources. Price?

Two other brands I am also considering: 1)Nokiam Vatiiva and 2)Pirelli Scorpion A/T

Any other ideas?.\

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
Re: Tires for a Quad-Cab 4*4 Dakota.?? Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 02:16:00 pm »
The Michelin is a good all around tire from what I've read/heard. I don't have anything to say about the Destination LE.  What about the BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A?  A relative who farms has these on his 3/4 ton Dodge Diesel.  He has nothing but good things to say about them.  Their only weakness seems to be really deep snow and deep mud (down the 'back 40').

I ran Uniroyal AWT's on my Cherokee.  I had 80k on them, and they still had good tread depth on them.  They were fairly quiet, and did quite well during the 4 winters I experienced with them.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 03:09:27 pm »
I guess I should add my intended use: Running errands in the city, driving the highway and some gravel roads to go dirt biking as well as the  odd little foray onto dirt tracks. I value winter traction so Ice/snow performance is important.Although I swap tires for my car I don't have the inclination to swap tires for this thing. The tires are too big to stack up in the garage, sucking up valuable space.

morty

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 07:31:48 pm »
If you do go off-road a bit and want some snow capability I would recommend the BFG AT KO. Offers a good some what aggressive pattern that gets great reviews. Also carries the Severe Winter Conditions rating (Snow Flake inside Mountain) symbol. LTX M/S is a great tire, but recommended for city/highway only and not rated for snow.

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 08:14:59 am »
So 'M/S' doesn't mean 'Mud/Snow'????   :o

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 02:15:12 pm »
Thanks for the replies. I bought some 265/70-16 Michelin LTX M/S this morning. Wow they ride very nice compared to my old sacked-out Goodyear RT/S's.

Offline davidy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2005, 03:11:52 pm »
So 'M/S' doesn't mean 'Mud/Snow'????   :o

M/S is a designation by the tire manufacturer. IMO, that doesn't mean much if anything. Gotta go with the RMA's severe snow rated tires....those that are symbolized with a snowflake inside a mountain.

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techarticles/131_0212_CAMP_TIRE/index2.html

Dave
2010 Ford Ranger FX4
Armaguard spray on liner
Truxedo Low Pro QT tonneau cover
Studded General Altimax Arctic P245/75-16 winter tires on black steelies

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2005, 03:44:26 pm »
Michelin says the M/S work good in the snow. Surely that funny looking pudgy Michelin Man wouldn't lie! ;D

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2005, 03:59:26 pm »
I think you'll find the Michelins will serve you well, especially when compared to the awful RT/S's that were previously on your Dakota.  Enjoy that smoooooth ride.   8)

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2005, 09:56:30 am »
Good choice on the LTX's.  I had them on my mazda and really enjoyed them.  Plus, they sould last you along while.

As for the M+S rating, my toyo Proxes4 (below) have an M+S rating, and there is no way i'll be taking them on any logging roads..

Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

oversteer

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2005, 10:56:14 pm »
AFAIK M+S only means that a certain tread/void ratio exists. Nothing to do with rubber compounds, tread design, or siping, which actually mean something in winter.  This lack of useful meaning was the basis for the new RMA rating and the snowflake symbol.  Almost all of the true winter tires now have the symbol.  The only exeption I can think of is Continental.  They have a couple of winter models that may or may not have it.