Author Topic: Need buying advice, automallnetwork, etc  (Read 1790 times)

Gollumn

Need buying advice, automallnetwork, etc
« on: March 09, 2005, 10:52:47 am »
Has anyone used AutoMallNetwork? If so, how was it?

I want to buy a Mazda protege ES GT, either 2001 or 2002 and am just looking for advice, in general.  

1. Public or private?
2. either public or private way, how can one get the car inspected while out for a 'test drive'?  
3. I live 1.5 hrs outside Toronto. If I can't find what I want close to home, I'll have to buy in the GTA. Any suggestions on what to ask over the phone to save wasting time?
4. If it's a smaller used car lot, would you suggest using their financing, or getting a loan on my own?

any tips appreciated

G

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005, 05:13:40 pm »
I think that service is BS.  Meant for stupid people.  As for their used car service; basically they are locating auction cars and marking them up.  Actual condition would be unknown.

1. Always private buy unless model really rare or you have a vehicle with a very large sales tax credit to trade or a trade vehicle with a major hidden fault.

2. Inspections difficult with private sellers because of logistics.

3. Patience.  See autotrader online

4. Financing is all about rate and terms.

Here is a 2002 loaded Protege with 32K on it in auto.  Ask is $12,500.  Basically, the only thing to determine is oil changes and possible accidents

Be prepared to spend some money on it at 50K. Brake service, tranny service, air cleaner, fuel filter, plugs, pcv, etc; minor stuff.

http://www.trader.ca/Search/Details.asp?mknm=739&Region=&subcategory=&CAT=1

Ericthejet

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 08:24:57 pm »
I agree with AS.  Find a car you like, learn as much as you can about it before you buy as you can then make an informed choice.  Money etc. is the least of your worries.