Author Topic: Thinking of buying a Mazda6 GT 4-door Hatchback  (Read 3979 times)

Tstrong

Thinking of buying a Mazda6 GT 4-door Hatchback
« on: September 29, 2004, 01:03:04 am »
A dealer let me take home a 2004 Mazda6 GT 4-door hatchback for an overnight test drive. It's a very nice. I would say the nicest feature is the responsive steering.  

It has a 4-cylinder engine, air conditioning, automatic transmission, leather seats (power seat for the driver), power left-and-right rear windows. Stereo and cruise control on the steering wheel. I'm sure there's other stuff I am forgetting about.

Quite frankly, the car has more options than we need or want. While the sticker says it is the GT model, I think it looks more like a hybrid between the GS and the GT.

The brochure says that a powered moonroof is standard with the GT. This car doesn't have one. Also, if I understood the salesperson correctly, he said the leather seats were added by the dealer.

I't's also in silver, which is a color I and my wife would like.

I suspect there are not too many of these cars left. The 2005 models will be arriving soon.

What is a fair price to expect for for this car? TIA

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2004, 01:07:40 am »
Check the thread "Hello, bought a Mazda 6 Hatch" under General Auto for someone (bhatch6) who just did just that and is very pleased.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 CX-5GT w/Tech
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2004, 10:43:01 am »
I bought the GS-I4 sport; I dont know the pricing for a GT.

Invoice cost is around 27k for the GS-I4 sport
23.8k base
1.1k sport/GFX  
1.1k AT
1k Freight/PDI/Air tax

GT hatch version also adds  
-side airbags
-auto climate controls (probably the easiest distinctive thing to look for)
-heated front seats
-HOMELINK rear-view mirror
-anti-theft alarm
in addition to the moonroof and leather
see if the car you described has those.

If you said the dealer added leather, I am inclined to think that its a GS version with bonus stuff.

Make sure that you can live with the somewhat large turning radius. My favourite feature so far is the audio controls on the steering wheel.

Hoped that helped.

(Message edited by bhatch6 on September 29, 2004)

Tstrong

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2004, 11:17:33 am »
Thanks for the information.

While the sticker on the window lists this car as being a GT, a different sticker in glove compartment (found it this morning) lists it as a GS. The VIN is the same for both stickers.

I assume this means that the dealer has upgraded a GS enough so s/he thinks it is OK to sell it as a GT. Clearly not all of the items in a GT are included (moonroof being the most obvious). Looks like it also doens't have the upgraded Bose stereo system. Don't think the seats are heated.

None of these are deal breakers. It does make it more confusing to figure out what a fair price is.

Thanks again.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2004, 12:30:22 pm »
Tstrong, you state, "None of these are deal breakers", but the dealer's underhanded switcheroo in calling what appears to be a GS a GT (even if the equipment level has been bumped up) is dishonest and a poor business practice in my opinion.  When you try to sell the car later on, you would have to charge GS prices, not GT, I'd think.

While I agree with the kudos stated above on selecting a really great car (my mother-in-law just picked up a new Mazda6 V6 GT and it's a stellar value too), I'd perhaps consider dealing with a new dealership if I were you.
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Tstrong

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2004, 12:58:01 pm »
Jeff1, I agree with you. It is certainly a strange way to do business.

I haven't yet returned the car, nor spoken with the salesperson. I will definitely ask about the hybrid GS/GT issue. The way that he answers will strongly influence the next course of action.

I agree that the car would have to be re-sold as a GS model, with upgrades.

Eax

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2004, 01:36:29 pm »
dealers sometimes make they're own special editions for whatever reason.  Manager wanted leather, perhaps to try out a new aftermarket leather supplier or such.  Thus said, it seems like you have a GS with an aftermarket leather package.  No big deal, they should just disclose what it really is.

H20ski

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2004, 03:12:56 pm »
Another question to ask yourself is leather important? You could move to the GS with the V6 and get the GFX package that will come with 8 way power seats, sunroof, 6 disc cd player(a most have for kids), ect.. There are still allot of 04's out there from what I've heard from Mazda, we just made a deal for an 04 Mazda 6 Sport Wagon, with GFX pakage delivery is in 4 weeks... On a side note this is the same plant the New Mustang will be built...

Blacksquishee

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2004, 12:41:24 pm »
Hi,

I work in sales in the auto industry and can get deals on almost any car.  If you want, send me an email and we can discuss this in further detail.

Thanks

Wellesley

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2004, 12:42:26 pm »
This is not funny anymore....please stop.

Yamahar6_rider

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2005, 03:53:17 pm »
I have a 04 mazda6 GS, yellow, just hit 23,000km and i love every min of it... BUT you may have better luck with mazda then me... that's why im thinking of selling her.. nothing to do with the car it self, the mazda we have in london sucks ass  ...