Author Topic: Wet carpets in winter on outdoor lots-- Normal or Bad News?  (Read 2713 times)

Needminivan

Wet carpets in winter on outdoor lots-- Normal or Bad News?
« on: January 27, 2005, 05:26:12 am »
I've noticed that there seem to be many used MPV minivans sitting on dealer lots that have rather wet carpets, some a tad others quite a bit-- that stay wet for a long time. This is even in areas uncovered by mats.

This is on the west coast in the lower mainland. I know these cars are shampooed and remain out in the cold after this. Anyone else notice this also? Should I be concerned that there is some other reason that the carpet is wet or is this common?  

What various things could I check for or ask the mechanic to look for in an inspection to make sure all is OK despite the wet carpet?  

Appreciate any feedback.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +27/-126
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2005, 10:31:15 am »
Is that common to all dealers or just one? Why would so many vehicles have their carpets shampooed at the same time? I'm missing something here.
2022 Mazda CX-5 Signature Turbo in Snowflake White Pearl
and
2012 Toyota Camry SE V6 in Alpine White

Needminivan

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2005, 03:51:53 pm »
Good question. First I should clarify, i said rather wet, it's closer to rather damp. With a vehicle however damp is enough for me to query.

Three different dealers. One had like three very similar lease returns and the carpets were damp in different places. The dealer told me that it was because they were just shampooed. Could be but I think some of the vans were there for months so don't understand if they shampoo every once in a while or what??

The one on the other lot has only been there for about a month.  

One other I don't know how long it's been there.  

The most interesting thing was that 2-3 weeks later the same vans still had a damp carpet. Seats are OK, ceiling of vehicle is totally dry.  

Pretty much all these are eastern province lease returns. I'm pretty sure it's gotta have something to do with the type of vehicle and moisture out here at this time of year, but don't want to be sorry later.  

Anything that i can check for or a mechanic will check for or anyone else notice this on vehicles on car lots?

Ericthejet

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2005, 05:09:04 pm »
Maybe they left the windows down? :-)

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2005, 05:57:34 pm »
I have no basis in fact for this - but think I would pass on a vehicle that had wet carpets for a month, whatever the reason. If shampooed, they s/be dried out long ago. If leaking, walk (not sure how they would be leaking however). I don't think I'd accept excuses, just find another one. Vans are plentiful.

Mdxtasy

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2005, 06:04:28 pm »
Maybe it was from people's shoes?

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2005, 06:45:26 pm »
I think the dealer is telling you the way it is.  My son was a detailer before mechanic at the same dealer and all used cars get a big detailing and they pour the water into the carpets and they leave the bay very damp.

So those will not dry out sitting with the windows closed in winter.

Even though I have rubber "pant saver" mats (type that contain water with a built in ridge) in my winter Saab here in snowy mid central Ontario, after I park it on May 1st the only way the carpet on the driver's side drys out is if I disconnect the battery and leave the doors open for a few good warm dry days.

So in answer to your question it is IMO a result of wet shampoo treatment and insufficent heat, not a water leak from the outside.

Needminivan

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2005, 09:54:37 pm »
Thanks Articsteve. I thought this might be the case cause it was several vehicles and on different lots. Too much of a coincidence for something to be wrong with all these cars.

My wife who is much more an expert at things like moisture, dust, heat, cold etc. just told me that leaving windows closed with dampness inside and no heat, will mean it remains damp.

Offline ovr50

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2005, 10:00:09 pm »
Ok, that's how it got there and why they are still damp. But I still think (maybe wrongly) that I'd rather not buy a vehicle that has sat for a month with wet carpets in it.