Author Topic: Strange stuff on Dealer lots  (Read 12025 times)

Morningla

Strange stuff on Dealer lots
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2005, 04:26:44 pm »
yap, I don't see a problem with the government on helping me on what I want.  I do pay them.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2005, 04:40:50 pm »
Well, let me see how this would work.  You would restrict car dealers from buying lease-end returns from auction in Ontario and selling them in Alberta?  Who would this help?  The market for used cars in Ontario would fall even lower thanks to a decreased number of buyers.  Ontario used-car sellers would be PO'ed, but used-car BUYERS would benefit.  Woe betide the person trading in Ontario, though.

What about in Alberta?  Well, used car prices would rise thanks to fewer cars available, which might help used car sellers, but create higher prices for used car buyers.

Who are you trying to help?  Sellers or buyers?  We'll all get it in the end, as we often sit on both sides of the table.

Don't buya  new car if you hope to get a reasonable value out of it after 3-4 years.  It's just not going to happen thanks to a glut of lease returns.  People are no longer scared of a four year old car thanks to increased reliability.  The used market has been flooded thanks to huge subvented leases.  Don't blame dealers at auction, blame yourself.  Stop buying so many new cars.  Consumers have driven the car market in Canada as there is HUGE competition.

I want the gov't to intervene in markets where there is little competition.  The new and used car markets are not such a place.  All we need is consumer protection laws.

Barryk

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2005, 06:29:34 pm »
John,
Noticed you said you bought a used Subaru from out of province (Ontario) I was considering one a couple months back that was the same scenerio, but decided against it after going back and relooking at it.  Any chance it was from that used lot you were referring to before.  I'm still looking for something like an Outback or a little larger like a Pathfinder.  I have seen a couple of good prices at dealerships but then find out (after persistent asking) that it did come from out of province.  Not sure if that should be a deciding factor or not in purchusing a car.