Author Topic: Lincoln LS vs Millenia any thoughts?  (Read 8125 times)

Offline superukr

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +17/-34
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia
Lincoln LS vs Millenia any thoughts?
« on: January 18, 2005, 03:04:37 pm »
Hello guys.
Ok, there is my 1-st post here :-) I've been reading this board for a while.

going after 2000 year models, love inside and out both but haven't drive yet.
wont go for European and other Japan cars. Dont ask me why :-)

Millenia - love Millenium edition trim, scared by people saying - trany is crap, parts hard to find and long to wait, lots of electrical problems.

LS - sometimes trany problems, rear windows motors, nothing special.

Do you  have anything to add?

Ericthejet

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 06:11:54 pm »
Welcome.  I'll get right to the point.  I'm sure both of your choices will do OK over time but why limit your choices?  There is so much more to consider out there that would be better in the long run. ie. cost and relaiability come to mind.  I would pick the Mazda if your dead set on these two choices.  I would pick anything else if you were not.  Come on, a Lincoln that's 5 years old?  Are you a sucker for punishment 'cause that car will remind you more often then you would like. Just MOpin.  Good luck.

Offline Bullet Blue

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 BMW 128i & 2008 Volvo C30
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2005, 06:23:03 pm »
Welcome Superukr

You have chosen two interesting vehicles and I like both of them. They are both good used car buys for sure. My only real advice is to test drive them both and see what you like. I assume the LS would be an automatic? The only thing I can add is that you may wanna watch out for the LS as I believe 2000 was this models first production, so it may have had some problems that would have most likely been corrected on later model years. Otherwise, I really liked the look of this car. Very elogant lookign in my view.

The Millenia is a great car too. Very underated vehicle. Top of the line Mazda and they are selling for dirt cheap. This car seems like the best buy of the two, however I am told that in order to really get your money's worth, you should really be looking at the Millenia S. I'm sure saffy will come along and offer more details on this.

Both vehicles are very unique. My personal preference would be the mazda, but I wouldn't be complaining a whole lot if I ended up with an LS either. Like I said, take the test drive and see which appeals to you.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2005, 09:37:41 pm »
Francis has real world experience with the Millenia.
Francis?
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Saint11

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2005, 10:37:38 pm »
the lincoln LS is RWD i believe. thats kinda important

Offline superukr

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2005, 11:08:34 pm »
I'll try to answer to all :-)
2 Ericthejet : man, I have had hard time before I've choose those two.
here is some coments
Imports:
Personaly I dont like Honda cars coze of crappy design inside (IMHO), Toyota - I hate these cars - I call them "zero personality", Nissan - only car I like it's Maxima but I had it before, so I want some changes :-) Mazda - u know :-)
Infinity,Lexus, Acura - I believe they overpriced.
Domestic:
Aurora - 2001 - looks not bad but I dont like: 1.dash, price, 4L engine eats oil like a fuel 2. car is no more exsist
Caddy - like them but to pricy
Impala SS- 95-96 : fun car but to old and insurance  "like" owners :0) new models looks good  from outside but inside better to close ur eyes.

about LS, information is very controversial and I'm realy confused about quality coze MSN says that this car doesnt have any mech problems at all, only  small (they might finance by Ford (?) :-)). Even Millenia looks not so good if compare that info.
so that's why I'm trying to collect as much info as I can before and after test drive.

2 Saint11 :
yes, this one has RWD and stick(!!!) but very hard to find, people saying that it has character of BMW 5xx, yes I love bimmer but wont buy '98 528 with 200k clicks on it for the same price.

So saturday going to be day of testdrives :-)

Winson

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2005, 11:49:12 pm »
I believe the Cadillac Catera is not very expensive. They are based on an Opel sedan in Germany and they're also RWD. So it's a great European sedan with 200 hp!

Barrie1

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2005, 11:56:47 pm »
Welcome to the Forum Superuku, Depending on your driving style the Lincoln Ls might be a bit underpowered for you. My understanding of these cars is they only came with the 6 cyl engine with the standard tranny. They are not a sporty car at all. Parts are somewhat pricey on these cars as well. The Mazda is a nice car but parts can be expensive also.

Multipath

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2005, 12:02:06 am »
Catera was "the Caddy that zigs" wasn't it?  I thought these didn't sell too well due to quality/reliability issues.

Barrie1

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2005, 12:07:01 am »
They should have been a well built car as they were built by Opel in Germany for the GM Division. Usually they build a pretty decent car.  As all makes the newer ones should be much better then the old ones.

Winson

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2005, 12:07:26 am »
I wouldn't know Multipath. It just sounded good on paper.

Multipath

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2005, 12:30:05 am »
True, sounded like they had a winner when I first hear about it, Winson.  I wonder what really went wrong with it that it was a flop.  Barrie1?  Any insight?

Barrie1

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2005, 12:46:20 am »
They were slightly underpowered to start with. The Moonroofs were noisy and a few other weak points in the beginning. The forerunner of the CTS is what they are which is now a very hot car with the engines now hitting 440HP from the factory. The 6 speed tranny's are a real treat to run with on these cars as well. Like any model they only get better with time.

Ericthejet

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2005, 07:39:11 am »
A customer of mine has a Catera and he would like it to "zig" into the river and float away.  He is unable to sell it for 9 g's.  He would like to get himself into the new Sonata.

S60

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2005, 10:20:30 am »
The driving experience of the LS is its best aspect.  The German-made Getrag gearbox is very smooth and precise.  The manual tranny with the V6 makes it the better(fun) choice over the V8.

Make sure this recall was done -*Front-suspension lower ball joints on some vehicles were not tightened to specifications and could loosen and, ultimately, result in fracture of ball-joint stud.*
Also these TSBs
Engine misfire: Poor engine performance or a no-start condition may be the result of a loose fuel-hose clamp causing an internal leak. (2000)

Steering problems: Replacement steering wheels (on cars shipped with the wrong wheel) may have been installed without sufficiently tightening the locking nut. (2000)

My brother has the V8, and has been please with the car, but he said he should have chosen the V6 with the MT.

Myself I would take the Mazda, IMO its the better car.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2005, 11:49:52 am »
Super forget the CADDY Catera.Maxima V.Good,Millenia S (Supercharged model excellent value)LincolnV6;V8 know nothing about them..can't remember any threads here about them..I like the looks...
  I have a 2000 Mazda Millenium Edition in silver with the grey trim...bought it second hand 2 1/2 years ago with 32,000 on the clock..now 70,000...runs like clockwork..no problems and probably available for $10,000 less than I paid for it.....
   Smaller inside than Maxima's;Altimas:Lincolns
so if yer Shnak sized i.e above 6 foot 1" it could be cramped..back seat is fer 5' 10" and below and there is no folding rear seats..just a pass thru fer skiis....
    THe build quality is superb(wheels excepted they bubble)Supercharged engine is sweet(premium gas tho!!) and handling is good for this class...near luxury...originally $37,000 available for low teens NOW.
     Silver is easy to maintain,white looks cool,Black great but more work...drive a few and see if they fit your profile and needs...a bargain ..JohnX conversed with me and had a friend buy one a few months back maybe he could chime in with that experience....happy hunting...
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2005, 12:34:33 pm »
i know 0 about both but the LS looks are superb to me...

Offline superukr

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2005, 01:06:25 pm »
2 Safristi:
well, Milleniun edition got only two colors - silver and maroon (I believe) last one i like better together with tinted windows :-)

now question about Miller engine. Do you have any problems so far? anything particular what I should look at before buy it? How is ur trany?

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2005, 07:16:16 am »
Re -read my post I answered all yer questions.Yes the Millenneum edition did just come in Silver & a mid Red shade.Not sure of the upholstery in the red model..nice thing about the silver the silver/grey "suede" stays cool in summer,warm in winter even without the seat heaters on and give an extra level of grip when you corner hard.
       To re-iterate no problems..it is a well built(in Japan) machine that was aimed at giving Mazda a step up into Acura/Lexus territory but it didn't fly(wont recap all the reasons again)
      Like any car shopping,don't rush and whichever car you buy look for a well serviced,low mileage one; an extra $1,000 to save
20,000K is well worth it.