Author Topic: Car Inspection  (Read 2626 times)

Ghost

Car Inspection
« on: January 07, 2005, 08:59:06 am »
Ehllo,
   Can someone tell me is Car Inspection a mandatory thing for selling one's car? What is involve with it and how much?

thanks,

Mdxtasy

Car Inspection
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2005, 09:09:49 am »
If I was buying a used car...I would insist on getting a car inspection done.  Depending on what is done and where you go, it can cost whomever is paying $100 to $200.  From what I recall, the person paying gets the results.  Usually seller pays and asks that it be taken to a shop of his/her choice.

Offline dash

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Acura RLX hybrid
Car Inspection
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2005, 09:28:36 am »
Ghost, I'm sure the answer is 'no', but it is a selling feature, in Ont. generally to transfer ownership-auto must have a safety and emission test, it is much easier to sell one's used car if has been tested.
"Why be quiet, and thought a fool, when you can speak up and remove all doubt"

Ghost

Car Inspection
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2005, 10:17:49 am »
i read that the inspection procedure is quite err... simple. so how do one even assess whether the cooling liquid has been changed. or whether the brake pads are almost worn out (however it still brakes)?

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
Car Inspection
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2005, 10:53:02 am »
A good mechanic will look at them Ghost..not coast.The antifreeze can be sampled and tested for freeze ratings,discolouration,particles the brake pads easily seen and measured and so on....well worth the time of a competent mechanic.
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Barrie1

Car Inspection
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2005, 01:54:30 pm »
Any owner who is buying a Car should have a proper mech do a thorough inspection of the vehicle they are looking to purchase. As we all know it can be very expensive to repair a vehicle and why pay more then you have to. Ont does have some good laws to protect the citizens from the crooked sellers.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
Car Inspection
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2005, 09:00:24 pm »
In Ontario at least, no car needs to be inspected, safetied or E-tested to be sold.  You can sell it or buy it as is and it gets registered as "Unfit".  I buy most of my vehicles this way.  For 15 bucks you get a ten day permit to drive the car around providing it was not registered as "unfit" originally.  The mandatory part is the 20 buck package and that really is for sales tax purpose.  Although, it has the lien info which makes it worthwhile cost wise.

E-tests are not mandatory in all parts of Ontario.  Just the overcrowded sections.