Author Topic: Book value  (Read 33098 times)

Barrie1

Book value
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2004, 09:31:30 pm »
Pops, Neil is in the Automotive Business Full time and one of our resident Experts as well.  

Offline neil

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-68
    • View Profile
Book value
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2004, 11:38:33 am »
Hi Pops, I am a finance manager at a dealership on the prairies.  So my experience is part sales side and part bank side.

Just to clarify what I said above, cars out west are generally worth more than easter(n) bunnies, they tend to look better and require less R and R to resell.  But dealers out west don't generally allow for the geographical premium the book publishes.  One primary reason is the banking industry, which (with few exceptions) doesn't allow for it either.  Often the loan to value needs to stay under 170% of CBB, without allowance of the geographical premium.  Many lenders require Capitalized cost to stay under 125% of CBB.

Now Pops, as to your question of rule of thumb, I'd have to say no.  Reason being every used vehicle is different. Assume there are two virtually identical units.  The dealers paid the same to aquire them, but one required an extra $1500 dollars to recondition for resale.  It is impractical to expect to recover the $1500 on the retail market, why would someone pay $1500 more retail for the same truck they could buy across the street for less?  To be competitive, the prices would have to be competitive.  If they both sold for the same price, the dealer who needed to spend more on the unit would realize a reduced profit.  Dealer (a) may have realized a 30% premium over book, but dealer (b) only 10%.

Another factor is stale inventory.  Generally dealers don't pay for their inventory, it is put on a floor plan for financing.  Vehicles in inventory over 90 days become interest charging liabilities.  Dealers are highly motivated to dispose of old stock to alleviate this expense.  Stale units can be liquidated at a loss, which is cheaper than carrying interest on a unit over a long period of time.  Also the capital investment can then be converted into something more salable, which can generate profit to offset the loss.

Car dealers play the lottery with every car they buy.  Some they win on, some they lose, but the volume is high enough, and the odds stacked in favour of the house, that it generally is a profitable enterprise.  The high risk and volatile state of the used car market however makes it unadvisable for a general consumer to play this lottery.  

Tandy1123

Book value
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2004, 10:21:54 pm »
Hi I am Pretty New To This So Any Help Would Be Usefull I Am Interested In A 1997Chevrolet Malibu It Has 85,090 Miles And The Blackbook Value Is 1,975 Dollers It Is In The Auction For This Comming Tuesday  I Was Wondering Around How Much Would You pay For This Car.

Barrie1

Book value
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2004, 10:36:44 pm »
Welcome Tandy to the Forum, I would pay around and up to $3500. for this car at a auction here in Ontario. If the car is really good then maybe squeeze up to $4000. This is the area they are going for here in London at the auctions. Hope you can get it cheaper.

Tandy1123

Book value
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2004, 10:50:28 pm »
Hi Barrie1 Thanks For The Info I Hope That By It Being Around X-mas Time It Wont Be Alot Of People There To Out Bid Me At Any Rate Im Trying Not To Spend Over 1,800 I Still Have My X-mas Shopping To Do I Dont Know Alot About Cars Or What To Look For When I Go, So Like I Said Any Help Or Advice Would Be Great.  

Barrie1

Book value
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2004, 11:46:21 pm »
Have you heard this car run at all. On start up check for any unusal smoke colours and the overall condition of this car. Which engine does it have or have you been able to determine that yet. These are a fairly decent car without too many problems on them. Brakes can be a bugbear but buying aftermarket parts usually solves that problem. Lets hope you are right and are able to get this car for your price.

Tandy1123

Book value
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2004, 01:30:09 am »
Hi Barri No I Havent Heard The Car And I Honestly Have No Idea What Kind Of Engine It Has I Only Went As Far As Pulling Up The Website To The Auction That I Am Going To i Had A 94 Saturn That I Had A Accdent With  It Is No Longer Driveable So That Why Im Looking For Somthing New As I Said Befor Im On A Tight Budget I Dont Really Understand What A Blackbook Is I Know That Here In USA The Bluebook Value Is The Exact Value Of The Car But Im Not Real Sure About This Blackbook Deal Or What It Means Now I Know That 1,800 Is Not Alot To Be Working With But Its The Best That I Can Do Right Now And Im Basicly Looking For Anything Thats Decent Looking And ReliabeThe Website That I Visted is www.4mag.com I Will Be Going To The One In Either Va. Wich Is Tuesday Or The One In Delaware Wich Is Thursday If You Care To Visit The Web Site And Look At Some Of The Cars And Tell Me What You Think I Should Go With I Can At Least Know What I Should Be Looking At And If Im Out Of My Price Range Any Help I Am Trully Gratful For. Thans A Bunch For The Help And The Time That You Have Already Given Me!!!!!}

Tandy1123

Book value
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2004, 01:38:41 am »
By The Way If You Do Visit The Website Fist Click On Search And Bid At The Top Then Click On Auction List Then The City

Sterling

Book value
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2004, 02:18:47 pm »
................................................................................ ................................................................................ ....................................

That should do you for a while.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
Book value
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2004, 07:03:12 pm »

Barrie1

Book value
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2004, 11:05:53 pm »
The Blackbook here in Canada is used about the same as your Bluebook in the US. In Ontario we also have a Red Book which gives us a value to pay tax's on for the same vehicles. The Blackbook here is used by the car trade to know how much to offer on your trade-in or re-sell it to you. They take the figure and add their mark-up and you fight them down from there.

Tandy1123

Book value
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2004, 11:58:34 pm »
Hi Barri Thanks For The Info I Called To The Auction Today And The Pretty Much Explain It To Me Its About The Same Thing Here As It Is Over There Anyway I Decided To Go To The Auction In Delaware On Thursday Hopefully I Will Find Somthing If Anybody Has Any Ideas About What Kind I Should Look For Please Post It Thanks Very Much In Advance!!!!!!!