Author Topic: Parting out  (Read 2626 times)

Gpw11

Parting out
« on: December 13, 2004, 08:38:12 pm »
So, I have an 89 tercel sitting in my driveway, and I kind of have to do something with it pretty soon.  My options as of now are:

a.) Get a service someone to remove it and possibly pay by the pound for it.  Pro: free towing, maybe a tiny bit of money.

b.) Donate it to the kidney foundation.  Pro: Tax break, free towing, giving to charity.

c.) Sell it for parts.  Pro: more money.

Option C would be ideal, but realistically I don't know if it'll work.  Considering the car, it's probaly not worth the time and effort to part it out.  I also lack the skill neccesary to do it well.  Are there services that may want to buy it?  The interior and body is in good condition (well, the rear 3 quarters), and the majority of the mechanical parts are in excellent shape (save the radiator and airblower).  

Do people ever buy cars like this?}

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
Parting out
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2004, 10:31:20 pm »
i dont know why someone wouldnt buy a car like this...
try private sale, but i dont hve any idea of how much u should ask...

Barrie1

Parting out
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2004, 10:57:59 pm »
Any Car that will pass safety and the e-test here is worth up $1500. used. What is the main problems with this vehicle?

Gpw11

Parting out
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2004, 11:49:17 pm »
Heh.  I totally forgot to post on the actual problem with the car.  When I say the body is in good shape and the mechanical parts are in excellent shape, I mean the ones that didn't suffer damage when it hit a pole going about 70.  

The hood is dead, the frame is bent, and the radiator and airblower are done.  As far as I can tell, there's no damage to the engine block, and I got it home after the accident, so the engine and transmission definitly work.  

It's either scrap or a part car.  It would be fixable, but it'd be more then the value of the car to do it.  Mainly I'l be looking to sell it to someone who would want it for parts completely.  The Carb, the doors, windshield, seats, muffler, that kind of thing.  That's why I'm wondering if people actually buy cars like that or they usually just head to a scrapyard.

Buy and Sell maybe?

Barrie1

Parting out
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2004, 01:17:26 am »
Look under the name www.canoe.ca which is the Sun daily newspapers. In the things for sale section I read about 8-9 to-day alone. They are cars to be done with as you see fit, parts or fixer uppers for a low as $300. This is just the London Free Press which is part of their chain. Bent frame is bye-bye so push the drivetrain for around $400. and the whole car for $500. is my suggestion. Somebody will have use of that engine and tranny.