Author Topic: Suzuka GP  (Read 3174 times)

Offline Drivesideways

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +0/-12
    • View Profile
Suzuka GP
« on: October 07, 2004, 12:08:14 pm »
I wonder what kind of tire and aero set-ups we'll see this weekend? Sails and outriggers??

FIA monitoring typhoon progress in Japan
Gearing up for the heavy rains...

The FIA, said on Thursday that it was monitoring a typhoon heading towards Japan because of fears it could disrupt this weekend's Japanese Grand Prix.

Forecasters have predicted that heavy rain and high winds will hit the Suzuka circuit, one of the most testing on the 18-race calendar, on Saturday and could disrupt the Saturday qualifying session or even Sunday's race. There is also the possibility of prolonged rain into race day.  

"We were hit by a big typhoon a few weeks ago and all of turn one and turn two was completely flooded," said local hero Takuma Sato. "We don't want to see that, because we would have to stop the race completely and that would be sad."

Suzuka is a high-speed track with one of the most notorious corners in Formula One, the left-hand 130R, taken virtually flat-out and the FIA could be forced to delay or cancel proceedings for safety reasons. The circuit is one of the long-standing venues on the Grand Prix calendar and some drivers believe its ageing facilities and run- off areas could become dangerous if there is too much rain on the track.

"It is never nice to be racing in wet conditions, especially here in Japan at Suzuka," stated Jarno Trulli who makes his debut for Toyota this weekend. "It is an old-fashioned circuit, it probably needs more run-off areas. We have been quite committed during this season, trying to improve what we have but we are a little bit limited, there is not much space we can gain." Jaguar driver Mark Webber added: "Normally the spray is a big problem for the drivers and if it rains very, very heavily the aquaplaning level is the thing that stops us from running."  

Visibility will not be the problem for qualifying, which is run with one car on track at a time, but cars can easily aquaplane out of control even on wet weather tyres and the FIA is currently considering their options. If qualifying is cancelled, the most likely solution will be for the drivers to line up on the grid in the order they finished the last race, which would put world champion Michael Schumacher down in 12th position.

"It would be good if we lined up in the order we finished the last race," said Juan Pablo Montoya. "P5, yeah, I would go for that. Michael starts 12th or so. Let's do that! If the typhoon comes, I would be surprised if we go out, to be honest. The winds are pretty fast, if you get 40 mph winds I don't think you would want to go through 130R in the wet. If we have to go out, we would go out and see what happens. I'm good for anything. If everyone decides not to go out then it's reasonable, but if two or three cars go out and nothing happens then I would go out and do the same."

"But I believe if it gets to the point that it is dangerous to drive the FIA will stop it."

E.A.
Source AFP  
"PC Load Letter...what the f_ck does that mean?"

Offline neil

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-68
    • View Profile
Suzuka GP
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2004, 01:58:39 am »
JPM is still a champcar driver at heart eh?  Screw it raining? Bring it on!!

Watching Practice2 on Speedchannel right now, it is real wet.  REally wet.  Chin is still dominating.  Horsepower aint everything, skill has some play.  I'm not a Chin fan but you can't argue his unbelieveable abilities.  I vote F1 rules next year just puts 300 lbs of balast in his car.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Suzuka GP
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2004, 10:42:20 am »
Wow, the race wasn't all that exiciting now was it?  When you lap almost everyone on the track.....

Mdxtasy

Suzuka GP
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2004, 10:47:41 am »
I didn't even watch 1/3 of it.  Start to finish...Mikey did his thing.  Too bad they didn't show what happened to Barichello and Coulthard.  Jacques failed to impress again.  That really re-confirms to me how far back he is and how much he's got to improve when he starts for Sauber.  Ferrari engine or not, he's going to be a backmarker.  Funny how he was supposed to come in and help Renault as well as Alonso.  

Offline cloud7

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Suzuka GP
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2004, 01:37:06 pm »
Jacques needs the time to adjust... after 1 year of not driving competitively and then jumping into a new car, it is not easy for him... I know from the start that he wouldn't be competitive and I thought it was a mistake for him to accept the ride... but that was before the Sauber deal was announce.  Right now, he is all signed for next year and got nothing to lose.