Author Topic: What you Buy or DIY show off thread  (Read 1745013 times)

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
Re: What you Buy or DIY show off thread
« Reply #8860 on: September 20, 2024, 02:04:35 pm »
Our AC packed up this week.  New one is $4k.  We're not going with anything super high end, just a basic 14.5seer unit.  Can't afford to go more expensive after all the damn dog surgeries this summer.

Also replacing our hot water heater - our current one is 15 years old, and I think it's a disaster waiting to happen.  We're going with a new power vented model, so no pilot light!

Still kinda the best time of year for this to happen.  All the Cooling companies have big sales on AZ. Units right now.

That sucks! What's heating like in Winnipeg? Gas? What is the cost for an equivalent Heat Pump? (just asking out of curiosity, until I'd left Atlantic Canada for a job I hadn't realized how prevalent gas heating is in this country...)

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: What you Buy or DIY show off thread
« Reply #8861 on: September 20, 2024, 02:20:50 pm »
Heating is primarily gas, and gas is cheap here.  We replaced our furnace 8 years ago with a new high efficiency model.  We didn't replace the AC as it was still sort of working and didn't want the additional cost if we didn't need it.  That being said, it was dying a slow death the entire time.  The entire time we had the house it would have difficulty maintaining the set temperature on very hot days.  We had it looked at by techs who recharged the system, but to no avail.  But technically, it was cooling the house, so we deferred the expense. 

Time has caught up with us now.  But at least we'll have a fully functional system, so that'll be nice. 

I looked into heatpumps, but one sized for our house would cost about $10k.  The Government rebate on heatpumps expired in February.  That rebate would have knocked off $5 from the price, bringing it more in line with an AC unit.  Winnipeg isn't really the ideal location for a heatpump, either.  They work efficiently down to about -10C, any lower than that, and they start becoming less efficient than just heating with gas.  They're great for locales like the East Coast or Southern Ontario, but here in the prairies, they're little better than glorified air conditioners.