Author Topic: Lesson Learned: 2 Mistakes That Turn Your Car into a Ticking Time Bomb  (Read 1666 times)

Offline AutoTrader.ca

• Administrator
  • Carma: +14/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car
It all starts with understanding how to read and measure tire pressure.
Read more...

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
Re: Lesson Learned: 2 Mistakes That Turn Your Car into a Ticking Time Bomb
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2022, 02:29:03 pm »
Employee told me he couldn’t get all the tires to 100 per cent,” said the poster, sharing a photo of all four tires inflated to nearly 100 psi, or about three times the recommended pressure.

That is scary.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2022, 05:00:43 pm »
If you manage to accidentally triple the recommended inflation pressure of one or more tires, treat the tire(s) as a live hand grenade, and stay away. Seek professional help

“You know you really need some help. A regular psychiatrist couldn't even help you. You need to go to like Vienna or something. You know what I mean? You need to get involved at the University level. Like where Freud studied and have all those people looking at you and checking up on you. That's the kind of help you need. Not the once a week for eighty bucks. No. You need a team. A team of psychiatrists working round the clock thinking about you, having conferences, observing you, like the way they did with the Elephant Man. That's what I'm talking about because that's the only way you're going to get better.”

:rofl2:
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2022, 06:28:28 pm »
The winter tires that came with my Fiesta were all cracking at the tread despite being only 2-3 years old. Weird. What I found was one tire was at 29 PSI, one at 32, one at 44 PSI, the fourth at 62.5 PSI. This is after sitting in bags since spring I'm guessing.

Also, don't inflate your tires more than the maximum recommended on the sidewall door jamb sticker unless they're warm. You're just eating away at the centre of the tire faster than the shoulders. Cold at the noted PSI, warm maybe +1 or 2. No more no less.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2022, 03:52:58 pm by dkaz »

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2022, 07:04:19 pm »
The winter tires that came with my Fiesta were all cracking at the tread despite being only 2-3 years old. Weird. What I found was one tire was at 29 PSI, one at 32, one at 44 PSI, the fourth at 62.5 PSI. This is after sitting in bags since spring I'm guessing.

Also, don't inflate your tires more than the maximum recommended on the sidewall unless they're warm. You're just eating away at the centre of the tire faster than the shoulders. Cold at the noted PSI, warm maybe +1 or 2. No more no less.

So ... uhmm .. is the sidewall number good enough for a smooth no bump ride?  :P

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2022, 03:52:33 pm »
So ... uhmm .. is the sidewall number good enough for a smooth no bump ride?  :P

UGH, I meant door jamb sticker. lol.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2022, 05:41:52 pm »
I always overinflate my winter tires by 5 psi or so (yes, cold.)

Partly because I find they handle a little better with more air, but mostly to give me some margin for when it gets really cold. If they start out 5 psi overinflated when it’s plus 10 outside, they won’t be too low when it’s minus 30.

Never had any issues with uneven wear.