Author Topic: 1FGC's New Addition...  (Read 8276 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
Re: 1FGC's New Addition...
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2022, 11:07:55 pm »
I should have added an asterisk. Most times tires of that age that come in are showing dry rot, cracking, uneven wear, etc.; it's not a blanket statement.

Any of these things should fail a safety.

Also, if you want to challenge tire age, two words: Paul Walker.

Ahh yes, cracking and wear is indeed a failure.  And it sounded like a blanket statement!   :rofl: :rofl2:

Uhhh...and Paul Walker's death wasn't tire related.  Although the tires were older, the cause of the accident was excessive/unsafe speed. 

Nice try though!!   :rofl: :rofl2:

Okay, Mr. Know It All. I didn't say it's the direct cause; it was 100% a factor that's undisputed.

https://www.thedrive.com/article/5189/the-truth-behind-what-caused-paul-walkers-fatal-crash
https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/03/paul-walker-s-death-highlights-dangers-of-aging-tires/index.htm

The winters on my LS460 (Toyo GSI5) are 2016 date coded. They have less than 15,000km on them, but I'm going to be changing them this fall anyhow. I don't f*** around with safety for the sake of saving a few bucks.

I'm only going by the official reports.  I read the reports (and the autopsy reports).  The report mentioned the tires were 9 years old (and that Porsche recommends tires be replaced at the 4 year interval).  And the report said the tires MAY have been a factor.  Not WERE a factor.  MAY have been a factor.  Big legalese difference between "WERE a factor" and "MAY have been a factor".  So yes, definitely disputed.    ;D

What isn't disputed it the cause of the accident as listed by the investigating department: unsafe speed. 90+ MPH in a posted 45MPH.  Unsafe speed for the road conditions.  Not MAY have been the cause.  But WAS the cause.  Also...from one of the articles you list to support your claim of tires (Matt Farah?  :rofl: :rofl2: ) said: "The cause of the crash was still ruled “unsafe speed for the conditions.”

But I think we can both agree that on a vicious car like a Carrera GT, using old tires is dumb and as you point out...not worth the risk.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 12:10:13 am by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline PoweredSilenceGT

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-75
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2022, 08:47:46 am »

I'm probably the only guy in Ottawa with 2 RWD, manual sports cars  :rofl2: The 128i will be for winter and long distance "practical" duties. It does have 4 seats and a roof after all.  ;D

What a legend, everyone buying boring azz CUVs and you have these 2 cars...

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2022, 11:20:26 pm »
Yikes well the new tires are installed and are night and day with grip, noise and ride comfort!

Shop said he wouldn't advise me on selling the old tires, but since there are no cracks and tread is excellent, he said it would be ok. Just be upfront in the ad about the age.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2022, 11:23:16 pm »
Yikes well the new tires are installed and are night and day with grip, noise and ride comfort!

Shop said he wouldn't advise me on selling the old tires, but since there are no cracks and tread is excellent, he said it would be ok. Just be upfront in the ad about the age.
Nice!!

Yea...be up front with sale of used tires.

Someone is always looking for a cheap set.