Author Topic: Dante's 2011 BMW 328i xDrive Black Unicorn  (Read 6917 times)

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
Dante's 2011 BMW 328i xDrive Black Unicorn
« on: December 27, 2021, 08:16:16 pm »
Long overdue but I thought I would still do a S&S for my not so new anymore BMW.

It's a 2011 238i xDrive 6MT, Black exterior on Chestnut Brown leather interior with piano black trim and Premium Package (heated steering wheel, alarm, exterior auto-dimming mirrors, compass rear view mirror, Dakota leather).

This is the exact package I was looking for and honestly it wasn't easy to come by (took me more than one year to find this one). I finally found it hidden somewhere in a small town garage about an hour east of Montreal (St. Mathias Sur Richelieu).

When I started looking for this car my ideal was not only to find one in the exact spec I wanted, but also with mint interior, 1-2 owners, no accident, no body rust, in decent mechanical condition, mileage between 160K-180K km and last but not least, ideally between $5000-$6000. The idea was to buy low and fix it up to my liking with the rest of the budget.

It appeared to be utopic what I was looking for and some members here called me out on it (rightfully so I guess), but I was under no pressure to buy so in the end the patience paid off. The target price I was shooting for was the most unrealistic criteria as the asking for most decent units was in $9K-12K range. I looked at few units with alternative color combos I considered as a backup (Black/Grey on Saddle Brown) but they were $11,000-$12,000 because of lower mileage (around 120K km). However, none stuck with me as they not only were into $11K-$12K range, but also required some work irrespective of lower mileage and higher price.

Anyhow, few pictures of the car before I bought it. The pictures were taken by the guy from the local company I hired to do a PPI on my behalf but they are indicative of the car at the time of purchase.

So, this is a 2 owners car, leased in Ottawa (Dec 2010-Dec 2013), then registered in QC by the same owner until 2016 (I assume lease buyout) and registered in QC again in 2016 by the second owner until 2021. No reported accidents in the Carfax report and the paint thickness measurements done by the PPI guy and other visual checks show no indication of any panel being mounted/dismounted or repainted. The usual oil leaks (valve cover gasket and oil filter gasket) have been done, suspension is solid (suspect some work has been done), engine runs smooth....

Asking was $6,000 but because A/C wasn't working I got it for $5,500 rather than having the garage to fix it for asking. Really wanted the car, the PPI report was good and it was already in my target range so went for it right away so I don't lose it.

Right after I brought it home (drove the car back home - about 700 km trip) I've done new A/C compressor, all fluids, filters, alignment, drive belt/tensioner/idler, front brakes and few other bits that needed immediate attention (one wheel dust shield, a ground cable and a rear sway bar).

In hindsight, three months and 7,000 km later, some sweat and $$$ invested in it, I'm pretty happy with the purchase.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 08:43:02 pm by Dante »

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
Re: Dante's (aka CarCrazy) 2011 BMW 328i xDrive Black Unicorn
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2021, 08:37:18 pm »
Pictures don't work.

Glad you found the one and you're happy with it :) Has the water pump, thermostat and oil pan gasket been done? Those are my next big ticket items - not sure if I should do it or not, those are big $$$ jobs.

By the way, I think I can see the car at the dealer on Google street view.  :D
« Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 08:39:26 pm by 1FGC »

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2021, 08:59:01 pm »
Pictures don't work.

Working on it...
« Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 09:27:16 pm by Dante »

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2021, 09:50:15 pm »

Glad you found the one and you're happy with it :) Has the water pump, thermostat and oil pan gasket been done? Those are my next big ticket items - not sure if I should do it or not, those are big $$$ jobs.

Water pump does not look too rusty given its location so I assume (hope maybe?!) it has been replaced at some point. I know about the oil pan gasket and what's involved to replace it but will wait for it to go before I do it. So far no leaks but will check again in spring/summer.

Still want to do some "small(er)" ticket items in the meantime while nothing else is pressing. I have an annoying whining noise at low speed which was there from day one and would like to get rid of... It appears to be related to something on the drive belt but nothing I've done so far helped - recently I replaced the alternator and power steering pump pullies but the noise is still there. I was told it's from the alternator (internal bearings) and not to worry about it but I have an alternator on order anyway.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 09:52:01 pm by Dante »

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2021, 10:36:15 pm »

Water pump does not look too rusty given its location so I assume (hope maybe?!) it has been replaced at some point. I know about the oil pan gasket and what's involved to replace it but will wait for it to go before I do it. So far no leaks but will check again in spring/summer.

Still want to do some "small(er)" ticket items in the meantime while nothing else is pressing. I have an annoying whining noise at low speed which was there from day one and would like to get rid of... It appears to be related to something on the drive belt but nothing I've done so far helped - recently I replaced the alternator and power steering pump pullies but the noise is still there. I was told it's from the alternator (internal bearings) and not to worry about it but I have an alternator on order anyway.

How about that thing that tries to set the car on 🔥 ?
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2021, 11:57:44 pm »

How about that thing that tries to set the car on 🔥 ?

Yeah, still need to deal with that after the holidays. I've been using the car since I picked it up from the dealer last week and it hasn't happen again. Will replace that connector anyway and fight if necessary with BMW to pick up the bill on goodwill. I think I have a good case as that $hit shouldn't happen since the recall was done on the car. Maybe just bad luck with a faulty updated part?! Will see....

Still love the car.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 10:08:41 am by Dante »

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-404
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2021, 12:17:42 am »
I was confused for a second. New name?
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2021, 12:21:25 am »
I was confused for a second. New name?

🙂 Yes... 

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2021, 12:45:49 am »
Pictures don't work.

Can you see the pictures now? I can see them on my end...

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-404
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2021, 02:05:52 am »
Pictures don't work.

Can you see the pictures now? I can see them on my end...

Nope. Just use Imgur.com to host them... easy enough even Ron can figure it out!  ;)

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Re: Dante's 2011 BMW 328i xDrive Black Unicorn
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2022, 08:41:21 pm »
The car turned 194,000 km tonight so almost 16,000 kms added over 14 months of ownership.

Still enjoying it to the max every day as it's now my DD.

Lots of time and money went into it over the past year to make it my own, but absolutely no regrets (to date at least).

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2022, 12:03:04 am »
The car turned 194,000 km tonight so almost 16,000 kms added over 14 months of ownership.

Lots of time and money went into it over the past year to make it my own, but absolutely no regrets (to date at least).

Certainly appreciate a car when you put that much care into it!

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2022, 01:13:24 pm »

Despite the name change that I find a little irritating trying to keep track of who is who around here, I congratulate you on a sweet unit.  As long as you keep the rust out of it (Krown or similar I hope) the cash you have spent is not out of line in the least.  If you knew the cash I spend on vehicle payments you'd feel totally vindicated in your purchase.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2022, 03:12:11 pm »

Despite the name change that I find a little irritating trying to keep track of who is who around here, I congratulate you on a sweet unit.  As long as you keep the rust out of it (Krown or similar I hope) the cash you have spent is not out of line in the least.  If you knew the cash I spend on vehicle payments you'd feel totally vindicated in your purchase.

I changed my alias a year or so ago (formally "CarCrazy") because it coincided with a post count status (16+ years ago when I joined the forum I didn't know this is a thing as no one had that status back then).

Yeah, I acknowledge that at this age, the rust is one of the biggest concerns I have.

Part of the work I've done this fall was a thorough cleanup of the undercarriage in preparation for rust proofing.

I completely removed any detachable part - bumpers, side skirts, wheel liners and every plastic cover under the car (lots of them :)) to see what's what and what's hiding underneath. With everything out of the way, I thoroughly degreased, washed, brushed, chipped off any lose coating and rust to a clean surface... Took some sweat and time but it was something I chose to do and enjoyed it for the most part...

Once all the gunk was removed I could see the status of everything underneath the car, check for oil leaks (none found  :banana:), learnt a thing or two about the age and condition of the suspension parts, etc... It was a good exercise after all as now I know what I'm dealing with and what to expect in the future (e.g. front suspension is mostly original  ;D  but still in good working order and minor rust).

Fortunately the car was in pretty good shape. While there is rust on the underbody, the bulk of it is on the f/r frames but it's surface rust; didn't find any weak spots or signs of perforation. The only significant rust on the underbody itself is contained on the fuel tank cavities as well as around front water drain plugs but again, it's surface rust. The rest of the underbody is pretty clean and rust-free. The factory coating did a pretty good job at protecting the metal from what I could see. What struck me is the condition of the exhaust and muffler which is very, very good for the age and mileage...The only rust on the exhaust is on the flanges. I assume the exhaust is made out of pretty good quality material (?!) The good part is that there is no rust at all on the painted body panels so far.

While the car was still naked and clean, I had it professionally sprayed with Corrosion Free stuff (https://corrosionfree.com/). Hopefully this will keep the rust in check. Planning to stay on top of the rust as much as I can with annual rustproofing.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 03:32:19 pm by Dante »

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2022, 04:26:20 pm »
Same age and similar mileage as my unicorn E91. I think mine has 204k on it now.  :)

Looks good, I really like that interior colour. I think the black interior I have is fine but I'd prefer saddle brown.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2022, 05:10:24 pm »
I have to say it is refreshing to see someone love a modern vehicle as much as you.  I know it’s a decade old and all but typically it’s 20+ years before someone really appreciates a vehicle like this.  Hope it stays relatively reliable for you and you can fully enjoy it.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2022, 06:03:04 pm »
I think everyone here like/liked their E9x, E8x cars.

For me it's a project-like car which I bought used (a first for me) with the intent to do some work on it myself. It just happened that I got to like it more than I expected to....

Now that I brought it up to par with all the preventive maintenance I've done on it, I hope to just enjoy it from this point on.

I'm sure there will be stuff down the road that will need to be done given the age but like ArticSteve said, it beats new car payments (which I will not escape anyway as one old/used car in the stable is enough for me).

Just for kicks, here's a summary of the mechanical work done:
- new A/C compressor (broken when I brought the car)
- new alternator and battery
- new starter
- new water pump, thermostat, cooling hoses
- new radiator
- new spark plugs and ignition coils
- new power steering pump and hoses
- new rear wheel bearings

Also did some cosmetic work outside::
- repainted front bumper
- replaced rubber seals around f/r glass
- replaced wiper arms
- replaced side markers
- repaired few dents
- touched up few paint chips (surprisingly few given the age/mileage)

Still haven't done a paint correction (it's definitely in need for one) but will wait till spring.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 06:08:06 pm by Dante »

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2022, 07:38:14 pm »
I changed my alias a year or so ago (formally "CarCrazy")

Ha ha.  OK, I know who you are now.

I had it professionally sprayed with Corrosion Free stuff (https://corrosionfree.com/)

Went to the site and the only thing that gives me pause is that it's drip less.   They say it creeps, but it doesn't drip ??? 

BMWs of that era and prior were made with insane quality exhausts.  Mind you you will never break it apart.  If you do a clutch job expect to remove the entire exhaust in one piece from the headers back and then install back.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2022, 08:10:00 pm »
Based on what I've seen so far, my impression is that most parts are of high quality. Sure there are weak points/parts as we all know but generally speaking I think these have been quality cars.

Most of the parts I replaced were original and still functional when I replaced them (except for A/Compressor and wheel bearings).

« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 08:35:00 pm by Dante »