Author Topic: Added an air-cooled...  (Read 13137 times)

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
Re: Added an air-cooled...
« Reply #80 on: April 01, 2021, 01:24:19 pm »
A bunch of work later, I actually drove the darn thing! The car is so seriously raw to drive, it's vastly different from anything I own and have driven extensively. It's decently comfortable, but very loud, smelly and also just plain awesome.

:bow: :bow2: :drool:
Pure awesome.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 01, 2021, 06:42:44 pm »
That 911 is pure awesomeness.

...and exactly what Jeff is looking for  :stick:

for 20 grand.   ;D
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #82 on: April 06, 2021, 12:02:32 pm »

for 20 grand.   ;D

Yeah... ask TheHire what he paid for that one..    :'(
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #83 on: April 06, 2021, 12:14:32 pm »

for 20 grand.   ;D

Yeah... ask TheHire what he paid for that one..    :'(

Don't think you'll even find a decent air-cooled Beetle or K-G for that budget...
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #84 on: April 06, 2021, 10:20:33 pm »
Fixed the relay issue, replaced the ignition switch, and replaced some other bits and bobs. Still getting an intermittent no-start, but managed to take it out for a spirited run tonight. Gave Mrs. Hire her first ride in it... right into the sunset!

Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #85 on: April 06, 2021, 11:00:18 pm »
Gave Mrs. Hire her first ride in it... right into the sunset!

You just make it too easy  :rofl2:

Great pics of a great car!

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #86 on: April 07, 2021, 01:08:01 pm »
Fixed the relay issue, replaced the ignition switch, and replaced some other bits and bobs. Still getting an intermittent no-start, but managed to take it out for a spirited run tonight. Gave Mrs. Hire her first ride in it... right into the sunset!

:thumbup: :thumbup:
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Online Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 07, 2021, 02:59:27 pm »
Nice! Lovely shots.

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #88 on: April 07, 2021, 10:50:50 pm »
Fantastic pics of a gorgeous car.
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #89 on: April 07, 2021, 11:13:05 pm »
^Looks good. 
It's hard to tell in those photos, but is the front end kind of high?
American cars were raised relative the European versions to meet the bumper height rules of the era, perhaps it's still raised?

There were spacers on top of the struts that had to be removed.  There are some ways to measure, but basically in front it has to do with how much the lower control arms are tilted down.  If you just want the front end down a bit all you need is a 11mm wrench, there are adjusting screws.   A good alignment, height adjustment and corner balancing is in order if you want to get fancy.  Negative camber is your friend. ;D
Mr Pickypants

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 07, 2021, 11:28:08 pm »
^Looks good. 
American cars were raised relative the European versions to meet the bumper height rules of the era, perhaps it's still raised?

There were spacers on top of the struts that had to be removed.  There are some ways to measure, but basically in front it has to do with how much the lower control arms are tilted down.  If you just want the front end down a bit all you need is a 11mm wrench, there are adjusting screws.   A good alignment, height adjustment and corner balancing is in order if you want to get fancy.  Negative camber is your friend. ;D

Yep.  He need to do RoW ride height.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #91 on: April 08, 2021, 09:13:10 am »
^Looks good. 

Wonderful, I'll get that taken care of today. I drove it to work, and we have an excellent alignment rack.  ;D

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #92 on: April 08, 2021, 12:22:26 pm »
^Looks good. 

Wonderful, I'll get that taken care of today. I drove it to work, and we have an excellent alignment rack.  ;D

Hopefully the torsion bars don't have to be re-indexed, they probably don't.    As for the alignment, don't go with factory specs unless you like a lot of understeer, get as much negative camber as you can get out of it and go from there.  IIRC I'm running -1.5 degrees in front and -2 at the rear.   I also  run zero toe in front for autocrossing, YMMV, you probably want a little more stability.   

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 08, 2021, 08:32:32 pm »
^Looks good. 

Hopefully the torsion bars don't have to be re-indexed, they probably don't.    As for the alignment, don't go with factory specs unless you like a lot of understeer, get as much negative camber as you can get out of it and go from there.  IIRC I'm running -1.5 degrees in front and -2 at the rear.   I also  run zero toe in front for autocrossing, YMMV, you probably want a little more stability.

Thanks, this would work. I'm going to be auto-crossing it a bit and taking it to the track as well.

Also, how am I THIS bad at remembering what sort of 911 you have?

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 08, 2021, 08:41:21 pm »
^Looks good. 

Thanks, this would work. I'm going to be auto-crossing it a bit and taking it to the track as well.

I have a 911SC.   
The biggest difference is mine is a 1983 so has the K-Jetronic-Lambda CIS system, yours is before they added the O2 sensor, so no Lamda for you.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 08, 2021, 08:42:20 pm »
^Looks good. 

I have a 911SC.   
The biggest difference is mine is a 1983 so has the K-Jetronic-Lambda CIS system, yours is before they added the O2 sensor, so no Lamda for you.

Brilliant. Also, it's now riding a bit lower in front thanks to you.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 11, 2021, 09:42:26 am »
Her name is officially "Christine" because she is friggin' cursed. Had her out for a spin, was pulling back into the driveway at the shop, hit the brake to make the turn and my left headlight (WITH bezel!) went flying into the street and got smashed into smithereens by an oncoming school bus.

One new headlight later, should be on the road again tomorrow...