Author Topic: Tire pressure gauges  (Read 9378 times)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
Tire pressure gauges
« on: November 29, 2020, 08:02:50 pm »
I've had a litany of tire pressure gauges and never have been convinced of the accuracy.  I get inline high pressure tank gauges, say 40 bucks, think great, then I'm 4 lbs. off the vehicle's computer.  ???  Are the vehicle tire pressure monitors out of actual range  ???.  I dunno.  Not dissimilar to wheel nut torque wrenches; what's the actual foot/pounds on the lug.  :-\

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
Re: Tire pressure gauges
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2020, 08:31:22 pm »
I've had a litany of tire pressure gauges and never have been convinced of the accuracy.  I get inline high pressure tank gauges, say 40 bucks, think great, then I'm 4 lbs. off the vehicle's computer.  ???  Are the vehicle tire pressure monitors out of actual range  ???.  I dunno.  Not dissimilar to wheel nut torque wrenches; what's the actual foot/pounds on the lug.  :-\
Decent tools used for measurement come with certification. The more expensive ones come with tighter tolerances.

My tire gauge is 2 percent error IIRC. But even if it was 5 percent..thats still nowhere near 4psi.

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline warp

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +23/-40
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 VW GTI, 2024 Toyota Grand Highlander, 2024 VW GLI
Re: Tire pressure gauges
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2020, 09:36:13 am »
I've also noticed that any gauge that I get from Canadian Tire (most expensive that I have is about $15) show a tire pressure lower by about 2-3psi vs the TPMS monitor readout in the dash. That is consistent across all tire gauges, (and I have 4 of them),  and the Yukon and the Chrysler 300 which have TPMS readouts.