Author Topic: What would be your ideal garage right now?  (Read 1663 times)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
What would be your ideal garage right now?
« on: September 05, 2020, 03:26:24 pm »
Cars:
My Daily: Electric Truck of some sort for me, for hauling coffee and dirt bikes (on the cards for 2022, trading in GTI)
Her Daily: Electric SUV (ID4?) for the Mrs (on the cards for 2021, trading in Tiguan)
Realistic Grail Car: Factory 5 Cobra build with a 5.0 Ford V8 (maybe 5 years from now, need a bigger garage first)

Bikes:
Adv - Triumph Tiger 900 (got)
Dirt - KTM 300 XC-W (got)
Resto - Triumph Speed Triple (got)
Super Sport - Honda RC51 SP2 (got)
Grail - Ducati Desmo (maybe 5 years from now)

I somehow seem to have managed to get pretty close to my dream garage so far, which is very fortunate.  A few more years...

Yours?

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
Re: What would be your ideal garage right now?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 03:55:50 pm »
My Daily: Lexus GS 450h, or Maserati Quattroporte 4.7, or Jaguar XJR

Her daily: 2021 Toyota Venza

My summer car: Alfa Romeo GT Autodelta 3.7, or Masersti 4.7 Coupe manual with Gransport bits

Her summer car: 69 Camaro SS or Olds 442
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 04:03:43 pm »
I've gone back and forth on a GranTurismo 4.7 so many times... Really want one, don't want to have to fix it.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2020, 04:06:51 pm »
I've gone back and forth on a GranTurismo 4.7 so many times... Really want one, don't want to have to fix it.
They actually are solid buys, as far as Italian cars go. The 4.7 is solid except the cam phasers, easy to spot and fix, and electrics are good. Friends with a Maser tech who told me this.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2020, 05:05:13 pm »
Happy with what I’ve got.

Zero desire for the hassle of a driveway full of stuff I hardly get a chance to drive. Same with bikes, dirt bikes, and even bicycles. I still have a bit of a ski problem, but am thinking I might even be able to whittle that down without too much pain.  :)

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2020, 05:38:08 pm »
The Volvo works well enough. The downside it that the dealer is in Waterloo.   Nothing much enthuses me.   Maybe a Tesla Y.  We do so few miles nowadays and that won't go up I think.

A last 2020 Fit for Mrs TPL  as they are not going to sell the 2021 in Canada... if only someone would put the magic rear seat into something.     I suppose we could look for a walker that folded up thinner/smaller.   That Kona Railton  for his daughter would be just right if it had the magic seat.

No bikes of any sort .   I am finally giving up shovelling and buying a snowblower this year....that will fill up a bit of garage this winter.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 05:43:18 pm by tpl »
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2020, 05:48:45 pm »
Daily: a manual, awd wagon of sorts, a Toyota Sequoia for trips, and some sort of pre 07 GMC crew cab truck for truck things. A BMW GS800 for longer trips and my current Versys 300 for commuting.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2020, 07:15:28 pm »
So far the RX is exceeding our expectations, so that is good as is. I guess the hybrid would have been ideal

For a second vehicle am thinking that replacing the old Vibe and CRV with something of a similar size to them, so smaller and narrower than the RX. Nothing really jumps out at me now, but thinking the Corolla Cross might work if it gets here.

That or maybe a used Ridgeline to haul stuff when needed

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2020, 07:21:53 pm »
2020 F150 or 250
Sasquatch
Mach 1
Bobber Black but modded a bit for extra coolness.
Super Duke
Warrior 1700
Gotta have a V Max

But...what I got is good too.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2020, 08:36:10 pm »
For daily driver's I am not interested in swapping out the old Caddies....Both are perfect for their respective duties, and are still in great shape. Mrs.Firm has been adamant that her DD will always be a white Escalade, so if anything every happens to this one, we'll just replace with another. I really enjoy the DTS, and there are not a lot of options for big cushy V8 sedans out there...So I'll run it for as long as I can, then probably replace with another big Caddy of some sort.

Pretty pleased with the set of toys I have now too, so I don't really have any intent to sell anything else, or add anything permanently to the fleet until we can find a house with more parking. At which point, I'll be seeking out a late GMT400 Pickup, ext cab Z71 (something like te black one Rev bought a few weeks ago) and a C4 (LT1s only) or C5 Corvette.

For projects, both E-types and the yellow MGB have recently departed, so I am on the hunt for the next one (or two). Nothing in particular in mind, more MGBs, an MGA would be nice, another E-type, etc. I am currently chasing a lead on an Austin Healey, but not feeling too confident that it's going to pan out. 

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2020, 08:54:22 pm »
I would love a GMT400 but all the ones around here are straight up rez rockets with no sills or cab corners. Its sad really

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2020, 09:14:28 pm »
I would love a GMT400 but all the ones around here are straight up rez rockets with no sills or cab corners. Its sad really

Same here. But this would be a 'lifetime' truck, so I'll bring one either from BC or Southern US. I don't even bother looking locally because there's literally nothing here that isn't rotten, especially the 4x4s (which would be a must for me).

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +171/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2020, 09:44:07 pm »
My ideal garage? One with two doors, tandem parking and enough clearance to add at least one lift. I'm just tired of parking outside in winter.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Acura Integra Type S, 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si (sold but not forgotten)2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2020, 04:54:23 pm »
The Volvo works well enough. The downside it that the dealer is in Waterloo.   Nothing much enthuses me.   Maybe a Tesla Y.  We do so few miles nowadays and that won't go up I think.

A last 2020 Fit for Mrs TPL  as they are not going to sell the 2021 in Canada... if only someone would put the magic rear seat into something.     I suppose we could look for a walker that folded up thinner/smaller.   That Kona Railton  for his daughter would be just right if it had the magic seat.

No bikes of any sort .   I am finally giving up shovelling and buying a snowblower this year....that will fill up a bit of garage this winter.
You do know that Honda put the magic seats in their HR-V, but that doesn't mean the next generation will get it.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2020, 05:39:17 pm »
My ideal has certainly changed from ludicrous super cars (okay, I'd still love a Singer Porsche, but hey, let's be real here...) to something that is hopefully attainable within the next 3-5 years..

Me (cars):  987 Cayman S (with a few notable mods so it sounds as good as my Boxster does now, but just drives better), Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon
Me (bikes):  Triumph Speed Twin (I'll enjoy my Bonneville until the Speedies come down in price), and something cheap, light and easy to throw around off-road.

GF (cars):  Whatever she wants, but I suspect she'd be delighted to simply keep her WRX and restore her TJ to tip-top shape. 
GF (bikes):  Her current ZX-6R, Z900 (she still laments that I didn't "sell" mine to her) and probably something to rip around in the dirt too. 
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2020, 08:23:11 pm »
My ideal has certainly changed from ludicrous super cars (okay, I'd still love a Singer Porsche, but hey, let's be real here...) to something that is hopefully attainable within the next 3-5 years..

Me (cars):  987 Cayman S (with a few notable mods so it sounds as good as my Boxster does now, but just drives better), Jeep JL Wrangler Rubicon
Me (bikes):  Triumph Speed Twin (I'll enjoy my Bonneville until the Speedies come down in price), and something cheap, light and easy to throw around off-road.

GF (cars):  Whatever she wants, but I suspect she'd be delighted to simply keep her WRX and restore her TJ to tip-top shape. 
GF (bikes):  Her current ZX-6R, Z900 (she still laments that I didn't "sell" mine to her) and probably something to rip around in the dirt too.

I still can't believe how good the Speed Twin looks. It's like someone got every classic bike, and hand picked all the absolute best bits, and then wrapped them up in modern tech.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2020, 02:27:01 pm »

I still can't believe how good the Speed Twin looks. It's like someone got every classic bike, and hand picked all the absolute best bits, and then wrapped them up in modern tech.

Exactly!  And beyond that, it rides so well.  Best way I can describe it is that it's easy speed.  It's comfortable, the power is usable (and not terrifying), yet it still has the brakes, suspension and tires to handle well too.  Is it a track bike?  No, but for street riding, it's the best of all worlds to me.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7218
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2020, 03:03:42 pm »
Daily: Lexus GS-F

Weekend car: modded  Cayman/Boxster S

Bike: 2022 KTM 490 SM
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2020, 03:22:17 pm »

Exactly!  And beyond that, it rides so well.  Best way I can describe it is that it's easy speed.  It's comfortable, the power is usable (and not terrifying), yet it still has the brakes, suspension and tires to handle well too.  Is it a track bike?  No, but for street riding, it's the best of all worlds to me.

Not the fault of the motorcycle (or rider) but Motorcycle.com's Speed Twin test didn't go entirely as expected:

https://www.motorcycle.com/editorial-2/why-ill-never-ride-without-a-motorcycle-airbag-again.html