Author Topic: Online new car purchases during the virus.....  (Read 983 times)

Offline John

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +31/-709
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Toyota
Online new car purchases during the virus.....
« on: June 29, 2020, 05:56:23 am »
I came across a dealership website that has "online" purchasing of a new car where the paperwork is done online and they deliver the car to your door.  It also said that for these online purchases there is a "money back guarantee", presumably because you have to sign all the documents and email them back before they deliver the car and you get to see it.

I'm just wondering if anyone on this forum has bought a car this way, and how did it go? 

Offline Shorlaw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +17/-85
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Corvette GS, 2013XKR, 2018 Macan S
Re: Online new car purchases during the virus.....
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 08:14:26 am »
I did almost this last summer with the Vette and it was the smoothest car buying experience I've ever had.  We finalized the trade in amount based on pictures, and I did the dreaded Business Office Upsell meeting by phone (she sounded as gorgeous and well dressed as I'm sure she was!).  The only difference was the paperwork wasn't signed until he showed up with the car.

If it's a reputable dealership and you KNOW it's the car you want, I wouldn't have any concerns doing it.  I wouldn't be relying on that "money back guarantee" for anything other than the car wasn't was as represented, not because of something like "oh, the back seat isn't as roomy as I expected"

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 09:26:23 am »
I came across a dealership website that has "online" purchasing of a new car where the paperwork is done online and they deliver the car to your door.  It also said that for these online purchases there is a "money back guarantee", presumably because you have to sign all the documents and email them back before they deliver the car and you get to see it.

I'm just wondering if anyone on this forum has bought a car this way, and how did it go?
Yes, in 2013 we purchased Mrs. Railtons Infiniti FX37 from Newmarket Infiniti without actually setting foot in the dealership.
The complete transaction was done via e-mail and attachments and phone. The vehicle was delivered to our driveway and we signed the paperwork in our living room.
We really enjoyed the process and there were no issues.
We knew exactly the model, options and color we wanted and as a brand new car there was no issue with warranty or drive ability issue that  would not be dealt with by the dealership.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline haven_seeker

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Buick
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 08:41:15 pm »
I've seen the offers. I'm leery about them just as much as the next guy - maybe more so.

I'm waiting til the dust settles and we can buy cars normally again...I'm a weirdo; I actually don't mind going into dealerships!

(is that sucker for punishment instead of weirdo? :rofl:)