Author Topic: Looking for recommendations based on my own set of criteria  (Read 3769 times)

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
Re: Looking for recommendations based on my own set of criteria
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2020, 09:48:49 am »
I just do not understand the objective of these spam posts. They must take time to make, even if half assed. What do they hope to accomplish?
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2020, 10:37:08 am »
OP is out looking at Suburbans.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2020, 10:43:38 am »
OP is out looking at Suburbans.
HD of course, right?

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2020, 11:05:32 am »
I am surprised no one said recommend Tesla model x or a Buick
He would be making money on both of them  ;D

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2020, 11:14:11 am »
I am surprised no one said recommend Tesla model x or a Buick
He would be making money on both of them  ;D

That's right, I don't know what we were thinking.  Tesla's pay for themselves and Buicks are just the most perfectly designed cars ever with unmatched reliability.  ;D
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline erich

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-125
    • View Profile
  • Cars: current: 2023 Genesis G70 2.0t,2019 Infiniti QX50, previous:2017 Subaru Legacy, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2012 Genesis Coupe 2.0T, 2010 Subaru Forrester, 2004 Honda Civic, 2000 SAAB 9-3, 2000 Dodge Caravan, 2000 VW Golf, 1996 Suzuki Baleno, 1990 Subary Justy 1.0GL
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2020, 02:25:40 pm »
Top Gear's James May recommends the Dacia Sandero  ;D

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2020, 02:49:52 pm »
Miata Is Always The Answer ;D
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline mckenziepiping

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda Cronos, Nissan Quest, Honda Civic, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Honda Fit
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2020, 06:14:09 pm »
Maybe you guys can compare all your answers to their other post.

The other post mostly got troll responses. This forum seems to have been the better option for getting some meaningful input. With the exception of your post, that is.

Offline mckenziepiping

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2020, 06:16:09 pm »
18 posts and the OP has not been seen. This might just be SPAM.
However it is so nice to see how nice people on this forum are and ready to help with good, bad and unrealistic suggestions (not referring to this this posts, generally speaking)

I've seen them. It's unfortunate I can't just upvote like on Reddit to acknowledge the helpful ones

Offline mckenziepiping

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2020, 06:18:12 pm »
Since you value longevity and durability (the two vehicles you praise have/had about 400,000km), I think a Honda HR-V or CR-V are where you should start, since you like Honda.  Then look at Toyota CHR and RAV4.

VW can be a total gamble when it comes to reliability, but the Golf has a high level of fit and finish.

Thanks for the input... I was thinking about checking out those Toyots. But yeah, staying away from VW as I've seen too much unpredictability in their quality. Also, I'm so used to performing routine maintenance myself on my previous Japanese cars, I don't think I'd be up for the challenge of learning German tech.

Offline mckenziepiping

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2020, 06:20:49 pm »
Assuming a new car:
You cannot buy a car without TPMS and a rear view camera so you'll get a screen like it or not.  Auto manufacturers will of course put other stuff you probably don't care about on that screen....just too tempting for them.   You will note that good old conservative Consumer reports no longer gives its highest ratings to any car without all the safety nannies so it might no be easy to find one without...and you cannot turn them off!

As you say maybe a small SUV/CUV would be the choice.  Mrs tpl has had two totally trouble free Fits ( mk1 and mk2) but as a low mileage driver she doesn't have a problem with the seats!     The small suv/cuv class from the Asian manufacturers obviously would be worth a look as there are plenty to choose from.   If they were within your price range I'd suggest a VW Golf wagon if you could find one.

Good hunting.

Definitely looking for a new vehicle, or at least something from within the last 1-2 years. That's disappointing to learn that you can't buy cars without all the integrated tech. I was recently driving a Toyota Vitz in New Zealand and I loved how bare the console was. I'm all about mounting my iPad and my phone so the less clutter in the way of me doing that, the better. Besides, integrated electronics gets outdated really fast, while the rest of the car can be good for decades.

Offline mckenziepiping

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2020, 06:21:26 pm »
If I read your requirements right, a Prius or a Prius V ought to be on your list.

Thanks, I'll make a note of that before making the rounds at dealerships

Offline mckenziepiping

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2020, 06:22:26 pm »
- Good fuel economy (anything worse than 9L/100km or 26MPG is a dealbreaker)
- The most possible cargo space
- Seats that can be fully lowered to the floor, forming a perfectly flat platform like in the Honda Fit

Limiting your choices with those requirements there. Rav4 gas or hybrid, Mazda CX-30, Honda CR-V

- "Bucket" style floor mats or some sort of design that prevents excessive snow/salt messes in winter or at least facilitates cleaning

You can get all weather liners for any car from Weathertech, Findway, Maxpider, etc.

Vehicles I've owned in the past were:

- Mazda Cronos (fell apart after 200 000km, so now I have an aversion to Mazda)

Modern Mazda’s are built to last and are affordable luxury premium cars. My 2012 Mazda 3 is at 173,000km and still going strong, knock on wood. My sister has a Lexus NX200T and her transmission blew up. Not sure why. As they say, YMMV.

Assuming a new car:
You cannot buy a car without TPMS and a rear view camera so you'll get a screen like it or not.  Auto manufacturers will of course put other stuff you probably don't care about on that screen....just too tempting for them.

TPMS and rear view cameras are not the law in Canada. You can still get economy cars without them.

This is a trove of info, thank you!

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2020, 07:37:50 pm »
This is interesting, and you have gone into more detail than most upcoming buyers, however in a way that, for your benefit, begs you to narrow things down and rate things within your lists to narrow down where you bother looking in real life.

Just a guess how that might appear, to you, but its obviously your choice what in the end is more important and less important:

- I wouldn't even look any more at "things that don't matter to me at all". Especially features, you are going to get some mix of extras regardless and you don't care - done deal. 

- "Things that are most important" - Your choice to not have a car and instead get an SUV may mean the fuel economy requirement may not be automatically 'quite' meet within your price - a sedan or coupe at that price would get better than 9L automatically and therefore be a non issue. I'm not sure if people who don't own Fits could know if their answer was good enough about seats going flat down, I wouldn't despite my wife's Elantra GT hatch having power seats that lower a lot. Your requirement to have the most possible cargo space eliminates all hatches - too bad, maybe reconsider how much you need? Other than Fit, what else does Honda make that works for you, as you seem mostly decided on them regardless.

- "features that are important but not absolute musts" - I suggest you may reconsider and move the first one about Japanese and Korean up to Most Important, and maybe add Mazda back to your lists. The Cronos was last made 18 years ago, things have changed. It seems to me that psychologically there is no way for you to own North American or European. Floor mats already covered in a previous post - I like WeatherTech over Findway, I own both. Seats, where armrest is, cupholders are solely personal preference items but you can get a good idea from reviews and forums and pictures before venturing out.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 07:41:41 pm by dougjp »

Offline mckenziepiping

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2020, 09:50:12 am »
This is interesting, and you have gone into more detail than most upcoming buyers, however in a way that, for your benefit, begs you to narrow things down and rate things within your lists to narrow down where you bother looking in real life.

Just a guess how that might appear, to you, but its obviously your choice what in the end is more important and less important:

- I wouldn't even look any more at "things that don't matter to me at all". Especially features, you are going to get some mix of extras regardless and you don't care - done deal. 

- "Things that are most important" - Your choice to not have a car and instead get an SUV may mean the fuel economy requirement may not be automatically 'quite' meet within your price - a sedan or coupe at that price would get better than 9L automatically and therefore be a non issue. I'm not sure if people who don't own Fits could know if their answer was good enough about seats going flat down, I wouldn't despite my wife's Elantra GT hatch having power seats that lower a lot. Your requirement to have the most possible cargo space eliminates all hatches - too bad, maybe reconsider how much you need? Other than Fit, what else does Honda make that works for you, as you seem mostly decided on them regardless.

- "features that are important but not absolute musts" - I suggest you may reconsider and move the first one about Japanese and Korean up to Most Important, and maybe add Mazda back to your lists. The Cronos was last made 18 years ago, things have changed. It seems to me that psychologically there is no way for you to own North American or European. Floor mats already covered in a previous post - I like WeatherTech over Findway, I own both. Seats, where armrest is, cupholders are solely personal preference items but you can get a good idea from reviews and forums and pictures before venturing out.

Yeah I did notice that people who haven't owned Fits or HRV's seem to not readily understand why the whole "seats folding flush with the floor" is so important. I can't imagine functioning without it. It's enabled me to go on long road trips with a mattress in the back of the car so I can comfortably sleep there for 10 days at a time. It's enabled me to move many times from apartment to apartment, without having to rent a U-Haul.

I would have gone for a minivan since I don't care about my aesthetic, but it would be difficult to park a longer vehicle in my city and it seems like overkill since my "household" involves only my partner and I; there will never be any kids.

I'm not sure why you say "your requirement to have the most possible cargo space eliminates all hatches"? Seems to me that hatchbacks will always beat out sedans for cargo space? And you're right, I am mostly decided on Honda. Well, torn between Honda and Toyota. But I honestly don't know much about what's out there and it's not always easy to tell from various manufacturer's websites whether their products hit all my checkpoints or not without physical going to the dealership. And even then I'm a little nervous about going into a dealership with such an overly specific list because they'll surely be annoyed. But yeah, maybe Mazda could go back on the list. Although I recently drove one of their subcompact cars (Mazda Demio) and it was garbage compared to the Toyota Vitz (I think it's similar to the Yaris)... reminded me of the craptacular Mirage.

As far as how much cargo space I need.... the Fit was great for me when I was a student, but now I regularly find myself needing about 30% more.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2020, 10:08:19 am »
"As far as how much cargo space I need.... the Fit was great for me when I was a student, but now I regularly find myself needing about 30% more."

Which I why I figured a Golf estate would be the right size... a pity that no-one else sells a small, economical wagon in Canada.  Or of course that Honda doesn't stretch the Fit or even put the magic seats into a CRV. 
Mrs Tpl doesn't car about the flat floor, she cares about being able to put her walker in the car without having to lift it and tip it sideways , just fold and slip it behind the drivers seat.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2020, 10:33:12 am »
"your requirement to have the most possible cargo space eliminates all hatches"? Meant to say that this requirement eliminates hatches in comparison to SUVs/Minivans, not cars.

Mind you, it should be possible to get 30% more than a Fit, despite how good its space packaging is. A significantly larger and longer hatch might get there, ie; not a subcompact hatch. For example using Hyundai, not an Accent, instead an Elantra GT.