Author Topic: RRocket's 2008 Porsche Boxster RS60  (Read 26296 times)

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
Re: RRocket's 2008 Porsche Boxster RS60
« Reply #160 on: December 07, 2022, 10:02:59 am »
Keep in mind with any six-cylinder Macan, they're known to have bore scoring, connecting rod failure and requiring rebuild/replacement. I didn't actually know much about this before starting to work where I do, and I'm baffled at the sheer number of Macans we see coming in needing engines. Motors aren't cheap either - many used motors are already knocking/timing chain slap. I love the idea of the Macan too, but I wouldn't touch one with a ten-foot pole knowing what I know. Same goes for earlier V8 Cayennes.
So that means the same thing is happening with Panameras? Same engine and all.

Having spent plenty of time on the forums I do read about the occasional engine repair being required...but really no different than my time in the Boxster or 911 forum (apart from IMS talk) It is perplexing how bore scoring can even be possible in a modern engine. But for whatever reason it's an issue for Porsche. No rhyme or reason either. Some get it some don't.

IIRC the Cayenne problem was the normally aspirated V8 got a Alusil cylinder coating, not quite as good as the Nikasil found in the turbo engines.  Ethanol fuels cause some problems too.

Good info here: https://lnengineering.com/products/watercooled-porsche-cylinders-sleeves-and-pistons/bore-scoring.html?limit=all
Mr Pickypants