Author Topic: Tire (Track) Review: Firestone Firehawk Indy 500  (Read 1361 times)

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
Tire (Track) Review: Firestone Firehawk Indy 500
« on: February 07, 2022, 06:23:03 am »
I am sure that there are tires out there that will out perform these Indy 500s on the track. I am sure, because I've driven them and on this same car and on the same track: Michelin Pilot Super Sport, Continental ExtremeContact Sport and others. The math is simple, the Indy 500s are about half the price, last twice as long under hard track use and grip at least 90% when compared to those other 300 and above treadwear rating tires. The large shoulder blocks close up under hard cornering and don't chunk like the other tires mentioned even after leaning on them hard, lap after lap. Yes, they get a bit greasy after extended track time but by that time it's probably time to give your car's other systems a bit of a breather. Those other tires mentioned get greasy, too. Don't let people tell you otherwise. In the rain, they grip reasonably well, but this is the sole clear downside relative those other tires. The Michelins and Continentals are wet weather champs.

As for cold weather, the Firestones grip well in that use case, too. In all operating areas I would say that the characteristic (other than outright grip) that stands out with these tires is how communicative they are. You know *exactly* when the traction is ready to give up as they talk to you. When the traction goes away, they break away progressively and smoothly. I run them at the Audi factory specified pressures as a baseline and reduce pressure incrementally until I find the sweet spot. This, of course, is going to vary depending on the ambient air pressure, track surface, etc.

For street use, these are quiet and responsive tires. They look good (and this is important) they retain all the good characteristics you want from a good high performance summer tire even after having flogged them at the track.

In summary: great tires even without factoring in the price differential to the big name competitors. Best track/street tire ever (LOL!) when factoring in the price.

Online rrocket

• Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
Re: Tire (Track) Review: Firestone Firehawk Indy 500
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2022, 08:01:37 am »
I remember the IS-F guys liked them quite a bit saying pretty much what you said.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
Re: Tire (Track) Review: Firestone Firehawk Indy 500
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2022, 08:44:12 am »
I had them on my Alfa and Lexus. Loved them, performed very, very well. Very highly recommended especially for the price.

I will be putting them on the Jag in spring, as I destroyed what was left of the Michelin PS4s last year. Lets see how they handle 620hp.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.