Author Topic: Nokian WRG4 vs. Michelin Cross Climate  (Read 15655 times)

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +10/-10
    • View Profile
Nokian WRG4 vs. Michelin Cross Climate
« on: September 15, 2019, 02:49:54 pm »
Looking for set of all-weather tires for sister's 2016 Golf. The stock Continentals are only at around 4/32nds so would like to get new tires before winter. Doesn't make sense for her to run winters and summers since her commute is less than 5 km, and no where to store them in the apartment.

Right now cross shopping the Nokian and the Michelin. Consumer Reports rates the Cross Climate very well, and it ranks above the Nokia WRG4. Some have indicated the previous WRG3 was better in rain, which is more of a concern here in Vancouver than snow. Couldn't find a lot of reviews about the Cross Climate as they look like a new tire here.

Any suggestions on which to go for and if possible any real world experiences with either of these? I don't expect either to be great in every condition, but just to have a  more margin of safety when driving in the occasional snowfall compare to a regular all-season.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
Re: Nokian WRG4 vs. Michelin Cross Climate
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 11:01:32 pm »
I had budget Nordman WRs before and really liked them in Kelowna, I also had WR G2 in Vancouver and was amazed by the hydroplane resistance.

Offline Bulkley

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +13/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Crosstrek, 2023 Leaf
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 08:00:41 pm »
Have you considered Goodyear's Assurance WeatherReady?  We've been using them for about a year and like them.

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +10/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2019, 08:30:51 pm »
So she ended up going for the CrossClimate+. Will update with their performance as we head through winter.