Author Topic: First Drive: 2020 Kia Soul  (Read 3175 times)

Offline AutoTrader.ca

• Administrator
  • Carma: +14/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car
First Drive: 2020 Kia Soul
« on: May 31, 2019, 04:54:37 am »
Practical. Fun.
Read more...

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
Re: First Drive: 2020 Kia Soul
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 10:41:36 am »

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 12:54:36 pm »
Kia seems to sell quite a few of these cute vehicles but to me it's missing a key feature that most Canadians crave...they need to add AWD model.  I also wouldn't mind if they carried over the turbo engine option.  Mind you they'll still sell quite a few of these without these features so they must be doing something right.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 01:38:37 pm »
Kia seems to sell quite a few of these cute vehicles but to me it's missing a key feature that most Canadians crave...they need to add AWD model.  I also wouldn't mind if they carried over the turbo engine option.  Mind you they'll still sell quite a few of these without these features so they must be doing something right.
but that would also take away some of its appeal...affordable little runabout...add AWD and Turbo engine and people will either complain about the lack of torque vectoring, locking diffs, higher fuel consumption, higher prices, lackluster figure eight times...or wonder why you didn't buy the RAV4 hybrid.

considering this caused the extinction of its competitors, Kia seems to feel they have a good formula here.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2019, 03:56:30 pm »
but that would also take away some of its appeal...affordable little runabout...add AWD and Turbo engine and people will either complain about the lack of torque vectoring, locking diffs, higher fuel consumption, higher prices, lackluster figure eight times...or wonder why you didn't buy the RAV4 hybrid.

considering this caused the extinction of its competitors, Kia seems to feel they have a good formula here.

+1.  They have their target market and I like that they're not deviating away from it for sales numbers. 

Offline chignectohead

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +31/-195
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda6 2.5t
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 04:08:16 am »
Can't understand why they made the front grille a snow scoop in this new Soul.

My niece has a four year old one and it's not particularly economical, nor does it have much guts. Of course she loves it. It's primrose yellow as befits a dance instructor. Electric door lock modules fail often and randomly. Have for years on Kias and they never get around to redesigning them. When I couldn't immediately fix the thing the first time for her, she got annoyed with me as if it were my fault. So I go online and find that Kia has never corrected the problem. She's on her third module and they're not cheap.

Extra high strength steel is good only for crashes. It's no stiffer than regular steel, but it will deflect further before taking a permanent set, thus absorbing way more energy. So except for the grille, this little beast should be better running into concrete walls than the previous models.

A fashion accessory that does not engage the barf reflex like a Toyota CH-R.

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 01:03:06 pm »
the article shows photos of the high models.  Here is the front on the EX & LX models

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2019, 09:51:55 pm »
when i was at the dealership today, they had a 2020 Kia Soul GT-Line Limited (top trim) in Gravity Grey in the showroom...took a good look around it, sat in it for a while, popped the hood (it has struts instead of the usual prop rod)...all in all, i really like it...it's a very compelling package for $30k (you can get them much less, but this thing was loaded with everything and how i'd buy it myself)...if i were buying one, i'd have to decide between the Gravity Grey (looks great), Inferno Red (also looks great, and i've never had a red car) and Onyx (also looks great, but black cars are so hard to keep looking clean).

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2019, 12:19:18 pm »
when i was at the dealership today, they had a 2020 Kia Soul GT-Line Limited (top trim) in Gravity Grey in the showroom...took a good look around it, sat in it for a while, popped the hood (it has struts instead of the usual prop rod)...all in all, i really like it...it's a very compelling package for $30k (you can get them much less, but this thing was loaded with everything and how i'd buy it myself)...if i were buying one, i'd have to decide between the Gravity Grey (looks great), Inferno Red (also looks great, and i've never had a red car) and Onyx (also looks great, but black cars are so hard to keep looking clean).

that feature came out with the G2 2014 model, a feature I really appreciate on my 2016.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2019, 02:09:49 pm »

that feature came out with the G2 2014 model, a feature I really appreciate on my 2016.
yea, my salesrep mentioned it was on the previous ones too...a nice feature and and rare in this price range.

Offline z973

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +10/-35
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-50 GSL
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2019, 04:20:33 pm »
GT Line Limited 29595+115+200+1795=31705+TX
for a 147 HP and 132  and a CVT what a steal 
needs a TURBO

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2019, 08:52:21 pm »
needs a TURBO
meh...the other vehicles in this class don't have turbo options anyway (CX-3, Kicks and Quashqai, HRV, CHR, etc)...none of them have turbo engines...and when they did have the turbo, the turbo sales were negligible, which is why they didn't bring it back here...even in the US, it only accounted for about 6% of sales, and there were two models to choose from (base turbo, fully loaded turbo)...they dropped the base turbo model in the US this year because of that...as well, the new engine and IVT is a far improvement over the previous two base options.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2019, 09:25:37 pm »
needs a TURBO

It is $10G cheaper than a Miata which also doesn't have a turbo and a lot less room.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2019, 11:22:53 pm »
i took one for a spin tonight...just curious how it actually was...i drove the EX-Limited which is almost identical to the GT-Line..the only difference is flat bottom steering wheel, roof rails and sport bumpers with side sill accents...i was mostly interested in how it drove as well as seeing the infotainment, etc.

it was a short drive, maybe 20 minutes...i went around the block about 3 times, modifying the route slightly to try different things...my conclusions in point form:

-even though the rear suspension is a torsion beam (like my Rio5), it is set up much better...the train tracks don't make a clunk sound like my car does (or, nowhere nearly as pronounced)...not sure if that is the tires, suspension, mix of everything...in any case, definite upgrade.

-not a fan of the cooled seats...maybe it's something you get used to, but to me, felt like i was sitting in a puddle (that type of sensation)...in any case, it's a neat feature, and maybe you just need to get used to it.

-HUD display...thought it was a bit gimmicky at first, but it's actually kind of neat...not only does it show you your speed, but also the speed limit of the road you are on (in an icon that looks like a speed limit sign)...i think there are several things you can display on it, i just left it at whatever it was at by default...also, you can adjust the display to your height (perhaps the straight pipes guys didn't know this).

-engine power...i was prepared to be somewhat underwhelmed, but i didn't mind it at all...i can see why they didn't bother with the turbo...the combination with the IVT makes this "peppy" i guess i'd say...i think it's 0-60 time is about the same as my Rio5, and i find it zippy around town if i want to drive it that way...i'm sure this new 2.0L engine is a definite improvement over the base engines used in previous models.

-IVT...never owned a car with a CVT, but i wouldn't hesitate getting this one...in regular mode, it operates much like you'd think it would...it also "seems" slow, only because you can't hear the sound you are used to hearing (the engine revving up the range, then a gear change, and the cycle repeats)...i did a couple of "give 'ers" from a stop in normal mode and it doesn't feel overly peppy, but the speed increases faster than it feels like...it's a weird sensation, honestly...my guess is it likely does zip around just as fast (if not faster), but it doesn't feel like it...in sport mode, it simulates a conventional auto, and "shifts" using preset gear ratios...it feels peppier in this mode, but i'm not sure if that's simply because it feels and sounds like how we'd expect it to.

-tech...being a top trim, there's lots of it, and it's quite impressive...full suite of safety gear, full LED lighting, 640W, 10 speaker Harmon Kardon sound system with sub, 10.25" HD display (it's a nice screen), heated and cooled front seats, heated rear seats, heated steering wheel, wireless charging dock, ACP/AA, NAV, power front seats and power lumbar for driver, smart key and sunroof.

summary...if i was going to buy a vehicle right now, it would definitely be high on my list...it's got all the features i'd want, is reasonably priced ($30k), has a ton of space inside (for it's exterior dimensions) and looks very good in and out...i can see why so many people buy them, and the new model seems to better still...factor in the long warranty, decent interest rate (for a new model) and i'm sure Kia will have no problems selling them.