Author Topic: Land Rover Launches All-New 2020 Discovery Sport  (Read 1633 times)

Offline AutoTrader.ca

• Administrator
  • Carma: +14/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car
Land Rover Launches All-New 2020 Discovery Sport
« on: May 22, 2019, 01:09:44 pm »
Land Rover today revealed details of the redesigned 2020 Discovery Sport, which introduces mild hybrid and plug-in powertrains for the brand's compact SUV. Based on the new PTA (premium transverse architecture) platform, the 2020 Land Rover Discovery Sport returns as the brand's least expensive model and its smallest seven-seater.

Read more...

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: Land Rover Launches All-New 2020 Discovery Sport
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 01:50:51 pm »
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 02:15:01 pm »
Feels like the first gen model just came out yesterday. Seems like a pretty decent update, even if it is mostly evolutionary.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 02:52:53 pm »
yawn

Online Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 03:26:57 pm »
Evolutionary is good in my eyes and in this case. I liked the Disco Sport from the very beginning, but always felt that it was put together in a rush and from old parts bin. This iteration (I wouldn't call it all-new) addresses all the key points - a heavily revised platform to the point they are calling it "new", updated infotainment (with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto) and tech in general, while keeping the same overall interior and exterior design (which I really like) as well as functionality and capability as an SUV.

What I don't like too much, but can leave with, is all digital IP and center console but this is the trend and there is little to do about it. What can go wrong with all the electronics in a British car?

Still a contender for me for the right price (lease) along the XC60. I'm very curious about the packaging in Canada and of course the price. The current Disco Sport has one of the lowest starting prices in the compact luxury class. I expect this new one to start slightly higher but hopefully not by much.

One interesting thing about the launch of this new model which indicates that JLR was rather desperate to get it out of the door - it was suppose to show its face sometime in summer/fall but here it is. The pictures surfaced the web yesterday and today is already on-sale in UK and the configurator is up and running in full force. I wouldn't be surprised if it shows up in North America very, very soon as well as JLR is hungry for sales and the current one looks dated compared to the competition and the sales most likely are down considerably.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 03:30:00 pm by carcrazy »

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 01:55:36 pm »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Online Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2019, 02:08:17 pm »
Canadian pricing and configurator is live now on landrover.ca site.

The starting price went up quite a bit, more than what I was hoping for - from $43,500 to $47,400 but the standard equipment is pretty comprehensive now. Still lots of a-la-cart options for reasonable prices for the most part.

One good  thing for me is that you can get a premium vehicle with cloth seats (suede), no glass roof and 18" wheels as base vehicle but you can still load it up with additional features, mostly stand-alone, as you please. This is the only premium vehicle that offers such combination.

The only two features somewhat relevant to me that you cannot get as stand-alone on the S trim are the BLIS and the digital instrument panel which are bundled with other things in a package.

I configured the S trim as I would like it (lots of "nice to have" options) and landed under $55K including fees which is not bad at all for the class....

EDIT: I think there is an error in the configurator on both Canada and US sites.....

The cost of the Cold Climate package is $430 in Canada and it includes: heated windshield, headlight power wash, heated wheel (already standard) and Premium LED headlights. All for $430 !!!!.  And no, it does not add the cost of the Premium LED headlight on top of the $430.

If added stand-alone, Premium LED headlights is a $850 option and headlights power wash $200. The heated windshield alone is a $400 option by itself on previous models and even on the new Evoque.
I don't think they would knowingly give away the Premium LED headlights if you buy the Cold Climate package. It must be a mistake/bug in the configurator.....

« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 04:34:12 pm by carcrazy »

ltruong

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2019, 02:27:58 pm »
wish they kept the LR4 in their lineup.  It was my favorite LR, the rest is just meh to me

Online Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2019, 12:32:54 pm »
It looks like Land Rover had the media launch for the 2020 Discovery Sport in Barcelona as the write ups are starting to pop up online.
For the most part they are just echoing the handouts from the event as usual, nothing really new or interesting.

Autotrader.ca is slow as usual to keep up with the news.

Online Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2019, 07:37:16 pm »
Spent some time today at a JLR dealership to take the first look at the new Disco Sport.
Pretty positive first impressions. The interior is high quality, worthy of a luxury car. Soft touch everywhere including the lower part of the doors and center console where usually it's hard plastic even in the luxury cars.

Some things I picked on but nothing major:
- The typical window switches located at the top of the door look like an afterthought.  They are sitting on the door trim rather than flush with it.
- There is only one light in the cargo area, on the right side, rather than one on each side
There are two though on the inside of the hatch, one on each side. This is nice and well thought out so the exterior gets some light too.
- The rear seats bottom is bit too short to my liking  but it's high enough so you don't sit with the knees up. Otherwise you can stretch your legs quite a bit under the front seats and  there is very good leg and head room in the back
- While the cup holders cover is smartly designed to double for small items storage is not sliding under the arm rest; you have to remove it to use the cup holders. I find this annoying and bad implementation of otherwise good idea.
- The sun visor light needs to be manually switched on/off from a switch that looks like it's from the 80s. Come on JLR.... Fix that stupid arrangement already. Learn from the Germans.

Overall I'm pleased with what I've seen. Nothing major to dislike after all. Next step is to take one out for a test drive.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 08:18:38 pm by carcrazy »

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2019, 08:24:10 pm »
My Mom liked hers.  And it was pretty reliable.  But she traded it shortly before the warranty expired, because JLR.  I would say it would be an excellent lease proposition.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2019, 12:47:21 pm »
I'm in a loaded 2020 Evoque this week. Most controls seemed very familiar, as they should - parts bin is shared with iPace.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist