Author Topic: Need some advice on my next car. Help!!!  (Read 8008 times)

Offline Mike-NB

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-2
    • View Profile
Re: Need some advice on my next car. Help!!!
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2019, 07:09:57 am »
Personal opinion Don't get a VW.

LOL!  Yeah... I know...  But my experience is good.  I've owned a bunch of VWs and when I add in family and friends who have had or do have VWs the total number is probably near 30 and not one person has ever had a problem.  Besides, I trade in every three years so there is a reduced risk.  Though, admittedly, if I do opt for the Si, Honda has a golden reputation for quality and resale value.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2019, 07:44:34 am »

LOL!  Yeah... I know...  But my experience is good.  I've owned a bunch of VWs and when I add in family and friends who have had or do have VWs the total number is probably near 30 and not one person has ever had a problem.  Besides, I trade in every three years so there is a reduced risk.  Though, admittedly, if I do opt for the Si, Honda has a golden reputation for quality and resale value.

Just to let you know that you are replying to a spammer. A crappy one at that.

Offline G.Bombay

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2019, 08:51:14 am »

FWIW, I haved owned both an Si (2012) and a Jetta with optional sport suspension, the VW had a much more better suspension IMO. I grew tired of The Si suspension harshness on even small road imperfections. The VW seems to have a better mix of upgrading the handling while not sacrificing all comfort on our crappy roads. Take a long test drive.

Also not sure if you care but since 2015 Honda took out any spring tension on the clutch. Now it feels like you are pressing on a wet noodle. I understand it might be easier on your leg but I hate not feeling when the clutch engages/disengages.

Offline Mike-NB

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2019, 08:20:23 pm »

Just to let you know that you are replying to a spammer. A crappy one at that.
[/quote]

Thanks for that warning.  I didn't know that.

Offline Mike-NB

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2019, 08:31:55 pm »

FWIW, I haved owned both an Si (2012) and a Jetta with optional sport suspension, the VW had a much more better suspension IMO. I grew tired of The Si suspension harshness on even small road imperfections. The VW seems to have a better mix of upgrading the handling while not sacrificing all comfort on our crappy roads. Take a long test drive.

Also not sure if you care but since 2015 Honda took out any spring tension on the clutch. Now it feels like you are pressing on a wet noodle. I understand it might be easier on your leg but I hate not feeling when the clutch engages/disengages.
[/quote]

Thanks for those bits of information.  I think at this point the leading contender is the GTI but I will take a long look at the Si.  The R is still in the running but it's probably waaaaaay more car than I'd ever use.  The streets and roads around here are in poor shape so I think any serious contender will need a long test drive to see how it handles that. 

I wasn't aware that Honda had removed the tension spring on the clutch.  That must feel really weird.  I have to confess that the last Honda I owned was an '82 Accord that I bought in '85.  Even then Honda showed what superior engineering could provide.

While it doesn't have the performance bent of the Si or GTI I've been looking at some information on the new Mazda3.  It's a strikingly beautiful car.  My wife and I both had 2006 versions.  Her's was a Touring Edition with the 2.0L and mine was the GT with the 2.3L.  Both were 5-speed manuals.  I loved both of those cars and each had a distinctive personality.  That made me a Mazda fan.  What I can't tell is whether Mazda will offer a manual transmission in the GT trim with the 2.5L engine.  It appears that they may do so in the US but maybe not in Canada.   ???

As an aside, holy crap manufacturer websites are terrible for anyone with an interest in technical specs.  I can easily find out about connectivity and touchscreen size but if I want torque numbers I have to google it and find a site that reports that.  And for Mazda to be vague about something as important as a transmission is odd.  Then again, maybe a transmission isn't important to most drivers these days - as long as it's an automatic.  I read old car brochures regularly and I'm often astounded by the depth of information that some of them have.  I've seen cylinder firing order listed.  Now I can't find transmission availability... 

Offline Mike-NB

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2019, 07:18:34 am »
It looks like my choices have become both easier and more difficult at the same time...

Yesterday I was driving by the Honda dealer and knew that they have a Civic Si coupe on the lot so I drove in to see it.  I hadn't really thought of the Si as a possibility until some of you folks suggested it so I wanted to see one in person.  My primary concern was that it would be too over-the-top in looks.  Obviously I saw it in photos and videos but I wanted to see it in person.  I was disappointed that the rear spoiler is as big and prominent as it is.  My first thought was to whether or not it could be removed.

But then, like manna from heaven comes news from the Chicago Auto Show - the return of a decent Jetta GLI.  The Jetta had completely fallen off my radar in the last generation when VW Americanized it.  I hadn't even been paying attention to the new one, especially since there was no performance variant.  But thanks to the news yesterday I've done some digging and I think the Jetta merits some serious consideration.  I hadn't even dug deep enough to know that the latest Jetta is on the MQB platform which, as a Jalopnik author opines is "arguably the best small car architecture in the world at present."  The GLI adds a better rear suspension, brakes from the Golf R and the GTI powertrain.  The power and torque numbers are right in the ballpark for what I was hoping to buy.  And while I'm not opposed to AWD for those who feel it's a necessity (though on cars like the R I understand that AWD isn't there to offer some perceived winter benefits but is part of the performance of the car) I'd really prefer to stick with a FWD car because for how I drive FWD is fine, even in winter (with a good set of winter tires, of course).

So the GLI adds an interesting option.  The VW website isn't updated yet but I'm assuming that the GLI price will be right around the GTI. 

I've also been poking around the new Mazda3 but it looks like Mazda will only offer manual transmissions on base trims in the sedan.  The hatch seems to offer the manual in GT trim but it doesn't appear to be available in the sedan.

Jesus, people... learn the pleasures of having a clutch under your left foot!!!

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2019, 09:31:24 am »
The Canadian GLI is only offered in a loaded model (plus the 35th anniversary model which just has some visual mods) and has features that aren't offered in the GTI at all, like ventilated seats, memory seats, and the digital cockpit. So I'd expect it to be a bit more expensive than a loaded GTI.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2019, 09:38:51 am »

Been there , done that
And really don’t want to do it again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2019, 10:04:09 am »
It looks like my choices have become both easier and more difficult at the same time...

Yesterday I was driving by the Honda dealer and knew that they have a Civic Si coupe on the lot so I drove in to see it.  I hadn't really thought of the Si as a possibility until some of you folks suggested it so I wanted to see one in person.  My primary concern was that it would be too over-the-top in looks.  Obviously I saw it in photos and videos but I wanted to see it in person.  I was disappointed that the rear spoiler is as big and prominent as it is.  My first thought was to whether or not it could be removed.

But then, like manna from heaven comes news from the Chicago Auto Show - the return of a decent Jetta GLI.  The Jetta had completely fallen off my radar in the last generation when VW Americanized it.  I hadn't even been paying attention to the new one, especially since there was no performance variant.  But thanks to the news yesterday I've done some digging and I think the Jetta merits some serious consideration.  I hadn't even dug deep enough to know that the latest Jetta is on the MQB platform which, as a Jalopnik author opines is "arguably the best small car architecture in the world at present."  The GLI adds a better rear suspension, brakes from the Golf R and the GTI powertrain.  The power and torque numbers are right in the ballpark for what I was hoping to buy.  And while I'm not opposed to AWD for those who feel it's a necessity (though on cars like the R I understand that AWD isn't there to offer some perceived winter benefits but is part of the performance of the car) I'd really prefer to stick with a FWD car because for how I drive FWD is fine, even in winter (with a good set of winter tires, of course).

So the GLI adds an interesting option.  The VW website isn't updated yet but I'm assuming that the GLI price will be right around the GTI. 

I've also been poking around the new Mazda3 but it looks like Mazda will only offer manual transmissions on base trims in the sedan.  The hatch seems to offer the manual in GT trim but it doesn't appear to be available in the sedan.

I figured a new GLI based on the current GTI would turn your crank, hence the comment about watching out for the Chicago Auto Show launch.

My guess is, based on years of VW pricing comparisons between GLI and GTI, current sedan sales generally, and HB vs. sedan pricing by other manufacturers, that VW will have to price this marginally below a loaded GTI despite having a bit more content.

Which makes it $ 10k + tax more than my car. Yes it might have better performance, maybe a half second better 0-60 (as the current GTI is), and probably better NVH, but for me that would be a big value stretch in thinking to spend $ 10k extra. I must admit it has me thinking a little. :-\

And note this isn't a small car. Its longer than a Mercedes C class, longer than a BMW 3 series (and much longer than a 2 series), and about the same length as an Audi A4 (and much longer than an A3, Golf R etc. etc.)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 10:12:20 am by dougjp »

Offline G.Bombay

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2019, 10:39:29 am »
New GLI looks decent but I'm sure it will be substantially more than an Si.

I still think the base GTI is the best value in the sporty compact segment.

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2019, 10:42:07 am »

Yeah but the Si doesn't come close to the amenities that the GLI offers. In the U.S. there will be a base GLI that has cloth seats and no digital cockpit (among other things) but it doesn't sound like a similar model is coming to Canada.

Offline G.Bombay

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2019, 10:55:41 am »

Yeah but the Si doesn't come close to the amenities that the GLI offers. In the U.S. there will be a base GLI that has cloth seats and no digital cockpit (among other things) but it doesn't sound like a similar model is coming to Canada.
Absolutely. But the in the GLI is still a Jetta and therefor gets cross shopped as OP is doing.

Do you think VW Canada will price the GLI above the GTI Autobahn?

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2019, 11:05:07 am »
Hard to say. A top of the line Jetta is less than a top of the line Golf, but I'm not sure what the equipment differences are. I'd guess a GLI will be in the ballpark of the GTI Autobahn.

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2019, 11:37:46 am »
Have you looked at a WRX (non-STI).  They don't have the large wing that puts off a lot of people.  Also, certain trims of the STI have no wing or are available with a small trunk lip spoiler.

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2019, 01:35:40 pm »
Have you looked at a WRX (non-STI).  They don't have the large wing that puts off a lot of people.  Also, certain trims of the STI have no wing or are available with a small trunk lip spoiler.

This would be my pick....and I recall last year the lease rates were VERY attractive (although I believe you are looking to purchase this time around). 

Offline Mike-NB

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2019, 11:05:43 am »
The Canadian GLI is only offered in a loaded model (plus the 35th anniversary model which just has some visual mods) and has features that aren't offered in the GTI at all, like ventilated seats, memory seats, and the digital cockpit. So I'd expect it to be a bit more expensive than a loaded GTI.

Agreed.  I hadn't clued in to the fact that there is a 'regular' GLI and a 35th anniversary model as well.  But in doing some research last night it really does sound like a loaded GLI will fit the bill quite nicely for me.  One thing I know that I'd miss from my MKZ are the cooled seats.  I see that the top-trim GLI offers 'ventilated' seats which, while not as good as actual cooled seats they'll still be welcome.

One thing that does concern me is that on the VW Canada page announcing the GLI they say this: "Extremely limited, the 2019 Jetta GLI promises to move fast. Stay ahead of the pack with in-dealer dates, test-drives and the latest news."  This could just be manufacturer hyperbole.  I can't really imagine that the 'regular' GLI will be limited in any way.  It'll be limited to however many they can sell.  I'm hoping the only thing that is 'extremely limited' is the 35th anniversary package.  That seems to make sense.

Offline Mike-NB

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2019, 11:09:37 am »

I have.  Thanks to some comments here I'll put this on my list.  It's probably the oldest design of the cars I'm considering but I don't have an issue with that.  Like the Si, I hadn't even taken notice of the WRX until recently so I need to see one in the flesh soon.

Offline Mike-NB

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2019, 11:12:06 am »
Thanks to all who weighed in on my most recent comment.  The last time I spoke to the salesman I've dealt with since 1997 he asked what I was cross shopping against a potential R lease or purchase.  I think he was happy to hear that all I was cross-shopping was the GTI and the Alltrack.  Add the GLI to that now.  Plus the Si and WRX now though.

Thanks again to all!