Author Topic: German Car Owners: You need this.  (Read 2972 times)

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
German Car Owners: You need this.
« on: October 30, 2018, 05:51:08 pm »
Since IQ purchased the Audi TT, I knew I'd likely be using my OBD II reader...a lot.  Now I have a basic ELM327 bluetooth reader that I use with TorquePro, but I knew I'd need increased usability.  Vagcom is hideously expensive.  So I stumbled onto Carista.  And I have to say, at this very early stage...I'm wildly impressed with the capabilities for German cars. 

One of the best things is it allows you to change all of the "personalization" settings you'd otherwise need to make a dealer visit to change.  And on the TT, the list is extensive.  Pages worth! Now I didn't take a screen shot, but have included a Youtube video below which shows this.  Just fast forward to the 3:40 mark.  It also has one button "service reset" if you need to clear that message. And delaer level diagnostic code reading with explanations.  It also showed the hex files, so I'm guessing if you knew how to code for German cars, this would be helpful.

The price for the Carista reader is a very fair at $26.99 since a generic ELM327 reader is about $20 anyways.  The Carista reader also works on my Lexus..but doesn't give the personal settings capability you get in German cars.  You get 3 months free use of the app for that price.  After that its $39 a year IIRC.

Check here to see if your car is supported and for more info:  https://caristaapp.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K0rP6p1bKs
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
Re: German Car Owners: You need this.
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 06:01:07 pm »
Never heard of the Carista, but I finally sprang for an obdeleven reader last month. Higher upfront cost ($150, IIRC) but no annual fees (I think/hope.)

Yeah, these things are pretty cool with all they can do. I bought it to check how much my timing chain had stretched, so I’d know if it was worth spending the dollars to replace it. There’s some data block in there that registers the cam phase angles (or something) and from that you know exactly how much the chain has stretched.

But I haven’t used it for anything since. Seems like the newer cars have more performance settings that can be changed (steering, throttle) but mine is mostly lights and door locks and stuff. I’ve been thinking I might turn off the Xenon DRLs and use the fogs instead, but haven’t done it yet.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 06:02:31 pm »
Never heard of the Carista, but I finally sprang for an obdeleven reader last month. Higher upfront cost ($150, IIRC) but no annual fees (I think/hope.)

Yeah, these things are pretty cool with all they can do. I bought it to check how much my timing chain had stretched, so I’d know if it was worth spending the dollars to replace it. There’s some data block in there that registers the cam phase angles (or something) and from that you know exactly how much the chain has stretched.

But I haven’t used it for anything since. Seems like the newer cars have more performance settings that can be changed (steering, throttle) but mine is mostly lights and door locks and stuff. I’ve been thinking I might turn off the Xenon DRLs and use the fogs instead, but haven’t done it yet.

I had considered OBDEleven.....but the high initial cost put me off.  Also, with Carista you can pay $10..which gets you a month only when you need it.

Most DRL use the high beam...which typically aren't Xenon.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 06:08:47 pm »
Yeah, wish I’d known about the Carista. Might have made more sense for me, given the limited amount I’ll probably use it.

And I guess my GTI is unusual in that both high and low beams are Xenon. Still, not really a huge deal. I was worried about the Xenons wearing out too soon, being that they’re always on for the DRLs, but they still lasted 6 years or so. And bulbs were only $70-80 IIRC, so no big deal to just replace them when they burn out.

But I use the fogs basically never, so what the heck, may as well put them to use as DRLs.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 06:13:01 pm »
Doesn't do anything on my Cayenne that I can't already do with Torque.  :(
Mr Pickypants

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2018, 06:15:12 pm »
Doesn't do anything on my Cayenne that I can't already do with Torque.  :(

Yea...I'm guessing older cars have limited capability.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2018, 06:16:18 pm »
Vagcom is hideously expensive.

I don’t know about you and IQ, but I found that, long term, vag  is very expensive indeed. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2018, 06:26:20 pm »
Ha!

I just borrow Pi's OBDEleven and give him some beer (or skiing lessons) as payment.

I'll look into Carista though.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2018, 06:28:47 pm »

I don’t know about you and IQ, but I found that, long term, vag  is very expensive indeed. 

:o    :rofl2:

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2018, 06:32:37 pm »
Vagcom's  interface cable is indeed expensive AND it gets upgraded every so often.   There is always a trade in deal on the cable...but still expensive.    The software is free with regular updates.      I have seen it in use in dealers.   One VAG data machine that is used to print out 'official' stuff for warranty and every tech has vag com for daily use.  Mine is mostly uptodate I think cable wise  certainly.  If I bought another Audi I would check on that.

Carista was promoted on Audiworld.  When it was new it was very picky about exactly which adapter it used...probably better now.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2018, 07:09:49 pm »
I might turn off the Xenon DRLs and use the fogs instead, but haven’t done it yet.

I had this done a long time ago when I got my tune done. Was great until a rock took out one of my fogs which I still need to replace. At least I know the warning light on the dash works and even tells me that my fog light isn't working.

I also have the FTP (flash to pass) setup to use my halogens instead o the Xenons. So when lights are off, just halogens come on, when lights are on, halogens + Xenon high beams come on.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2018, 10:19:37 pm »
Carista looks pretty cool. Pricing is really decent too. I paid just under $140 so I'd have to use my device for four years to be cheaper than carista... seems possible.

Doing some cursory research it looks like the obdeleven device does a bit more than the carista for VAG cars, such as the long coding features.

Looks like it supports iOS which would have been nice for me, especially now that my old android phone is acting up  >:(

Definitely lots of fun to analyze the data and make changes. My friend has a similar device for Ford/Mazda cars and he can do things like bleed the coolant (he's installing a diesel heater in his EV but that's a whole other story...)

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2018, 10:22:06 pm »
Carista looks pretty cool. Pricing is really decent too. I paid just under $140 so I'd have to use my device for four years to be cheaper than carista... seems possible.

Doing some cursory research it looks like the obdeleven device does a bit more than the carista for VAG cars, such as the long coding features.

Looks like it supports iOS which would have been nice for me, especially now that my old android phone is acting up  >:(

Definitely lots of fun to analyze the data and make changes. My friend has a similar device for Ford/Mazda cars and he can do things like bleed the coolant (he's installing a diesel heater in his EV but that's a whole other story...)

Yea, I can bleed the brakes with my Toyota Techstream.....it's pretty cool!