Author Topic: Gladiator is getting closer  (Read 7989 times)

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
Gladiator is getting closer
« on: January 08, 2019, 10:29:21 am »
This Jeep looks like fun. Perhaps a replacement for both the ridgeline and LR4 lol.

https://carbuzz.com/cars/jeep/gladiator

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
Re: Gladiator is getting closer
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 10:42:36 am »
The diesel with the slushbox might not be a bad option... especially since it will come with the AWD transfer case vs. just the part time 4x4 one that comes with the manual.
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 10:51:50 am »
I will take a base, base, manual Sport...just in time for the kids to start driving in a few years...:)
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 01:01:51 pm »
 :drool: :drool: :drool:

Gimme a V6 auto, fully loaded Overland por favor, this will cover all the bases I need covered. Compact truck with solid axles and convertible....whats not to like?!?!?!
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 01:08:55 pm »

Gimme a V6 auto, fully loaded Overland por favor, this will cover all the bases I need covered. Compact truck with solid axles and convertible....whats not to like?!?!?!

Not much. With my people schlepping days rapidly falling behind me I can make due with 4 proper seats. This thing looks like a ton of fun with some character. Just enough space for a couple of dirt bikes.  The isolation tombs with a giant ipad glued to the dash is just boring.. It the NVH levels are acceptable enough for a 3 hour run to the mountains I am sold. diesel/auto/loaded for me.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 01:10:56 pm »

Not much. With my people schlepping days rapidly falling behind me I can make due with 4 proper seats. This thing looks like a ton of fun with some character. Just enough space for a couple of dirt bikes.  The isolation tombs with a giant ipad glued to the dash is just boring.. It the NVH levels are acceptable enough for a 3 hour run to the mountains I am sold. diesel/auto/loaded for me.

If its anywhere the levels of the new JL, it should be more than acceptable. Rode in a buddies Sahara and damn thats a nice ride.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 01:21:22 pm »
Now I just need Jeep to offer it in Gecko green because that is what the son loves lol.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 02:57:19 pm »
If its anywhere the levels of the new JL, it should be more than acceptable. Rode in a buddies Sahara and damn thats a nice ride.
yea, that's what i've read too...with the increasing number of people buying these as family sedan replacements, they improved the daily driver characteristics of it (especially the Sahara model, which also comes with auto 4x4 i believe)...a brilliant move by FCA honestly.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2019, 03:03:57 pm »
yea, that's what i've read too...with the increasing number of people buying these as family sedan replacements, they improved the daily driver characteristics of it (especially the Sahara model, which also comes with auto 4x4 i believe)...a brilliant move by FCA honestly.

Thats a really nice touch by them with the auto 4wd. If its like the old NP242 transfer case that worked really well for conditions like we have here where there is glare ice and dry pavement.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2019, 04:45:08 pm »

Thats a really nice touch by them with the auto 4wd. If its like the old NP242 transfer case that worked really well for conditions like we have here where there is glare ice and dry pavement.

My 2002 Quad Dakota had full time AWD (with low range). I believe it may have been a NP 242. I loved that setup. In AWD the transfer was not locked so if you really mashed the gas it was donuts and RWD spin galore. Let off the gas a smidge and the front began to bite.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2019, 04:46:21 pm »

My 2002 Quad Dakota had full time AWD (with low range). I believe it may have been a NP 242. I loved that setup. In AWD the transfer was not locked so if you really mashed the gas it was donuts and RWD spin galore. Let off the gas a smidge and the front began to bite.

Dad had a 90 Cherokee with it, was a great daily transfer case, all the benefits of real 4x4 with none of the downsides.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2019, 05:50:23 pm »
My only wish with the Wrangler line is for a base unit with the Rubicon off-road goodies.  I'd feel a lot better about going up those "roads" into eastern BC into the Columbia drainage with something that didn't knock on the $60K price point.

But, I suppose guys like me buy a used older one and drop in some lockers and other mods, so Jeep plays the smart business move and makes the Rubicon expensive and loaded.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2019, 05:51:47 pm »
My only wish with the Wrangler line is for a base unit with the Rubicon off-road goodies.  I'd feel a lot better about going up those "roads" into eastern BC into the Columbia drainage with something that didn't knock on the $60K price point.

But, I suppose guys like me buy a used older one and drop in some lockers and other mods, so Jeep plays the smart business move and makes the Rubicon expensive and loaded.

Buying a used lower model and stuffing lockers, some skidplates, tires and throwing a winch at it is a much better deal than a $60k Rubicon.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +257/-777
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2019, 06:34:18 pm »

The Rubicon doesn't actually add that much equipment over the base model. The vast majority of what is optional on a Sport is also optional on a Rubicon.