Author Topic: Test Drive: 2018 Dodge Durango SRT  (Read 3713 times)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: Test Drive: 2018 Dodge Durango
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2018, 02:21:37 pm »
I drove an R/T for a couple of days.

While the V8 was nice (V8 FTW, always! ), overall it was nothing special. It wasn't particularly quick, it didn't ride or handle particularly well, the interior wasn't particularly good...

It was "meh" city.

Looked nice in black though!

But thats pretty well all SUVs, save the Trackhawks/AMGs/Ms of the world, meh. At least this is a good looking meh with a V8.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2018 Dodge Durango SRT
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2018, 02:45:30 pm »
For example, it didn't handle as nicely as an MDX. It wasn't as nice inside as an MDX. And the perception of quality wasn't as high as an MDX. It also didn't feel appreciably quicker than an MDX.

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2018, 02:50:48 pm »
Considering how many MDXs you see on the road in Edmonton versus how many Durangos of any trim level, maybe I'm not unique.

The MDX and Durango aren't really competitors. And the MDX has seven seats too.

Uhhh, how are they not competitors?? The Durango seats 6 or 7.

Because the Durango is a mainstream nameplate RWD platform vehicle and the MDX is a premium brand FWD platform vehicle. I doubt there's much cross-shopping going on between the two.

This. I'd look at the durango if I was going for more of a mainstream rig like a Tahoe or a Traverse, Explorer, etc. MDX I'm cross shopping with the other luxury brands.

Durango is a fine vehicle but more of a truck than say a MDX or Q7, etc.

Depends on the application as well. For cross country travel, I'd like a Tahoe. For city, MDX. Apart from interior trim, I'm not sure what else is superior in an MDX over a Tahoe.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2018, 03:13:07 pm »
Easily the most bad ass SUV, that you don't have to be a Hong Kong drug lord to afford, on the market. The SRT is an awesome piece of kit, but even the R/T.....mmmmm  :drool: :drool: :drool: I don't know how people buy MDXs, Pilots, Acadias and crap when you can have a bad ass V8, 7 passenger, great looking thing like this instead.

Maybe I'm unique in this regard, but I would take an MDX over this thing 10/10 times. Some of these reasons are subjective and personal, some are objective. Much more reasonable pricing, I have no need for a bad-ass V8 in my SUV (I already have a wagon with one) and I like the idea of using less fuel while still getting all the performance I need out of an engine, I have no need for 7 passenger space, I find the styling of the Durango not to my liking, I hate the idea of how quickly my money would depreciate if I bought an SRT or R/T, I prefer a more reliable vehicle.

Considering how many MDXs you see on the road in Edmonton versus how many Durangos of any trim level, maybe I'm not unique.

Or, maybe people are boring and unimaginative.

ANYWAY, My biggest plus in for the Durango R/T is its ability to tow 7400lbs.  You won't get that out of an MDX or a Highlander.  Plus, it really isn't that much more expensive than an MDX.  A moderately optioned R/T is $60k.  A mid-trim MDX is $61k.  The two are priced comparably.

X100. For $60k, to me, its a no brainer.

Haha! You guys are adorable! "Boring and unimaginative" - I guess that's what I am. I won't argue one iota over that. Does a 2012 Caravan qualify as interesting and imaginative?

ANYWAY, for me, for $60K, it's also a no-brainer. I wouldn't even walk into a FCA dealership if it's my money. That's why it's a wonderful world. There are perfect rides for you guys, fulfilling your needs and wants. And there are rides that are much more suited to what I need and want. And we can all still live in beautiful harmony. Beautiful, interesting, imaginative harmony.

No, a Caravan does not qualify as interesting and imaginative, although it was the vehicle that met my needs and budget at the time.  And, one could argue, I use it in an interesting and imaginative way.

^^THAT, btw, is what I would do with a Durango R/T, but with a bigger trailer. 

ANYWAY, you are absolutely correct.  There are a multitude of vehicles out there for all tastes and desires.  I DO find the MDX to be a very desirable, and I would pick it 10/10 times over a V6 Durango.  However, when you add a V8 to the Durango, then that changes things considerably. 
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 03:15:13 pm by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2018, 03:19:27 pm »

looks like you are putting quite the load on the rear end of that thing.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2018, 03:21:24 pm »

looks like you are putting quite the load on the rear end of that thing.

Yeah.  I installed airbags to keep the van level, but the damn things started leaking halfway through our trip.  I'm replacing them with Timbrens this spring.

Offline Wildsau

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +32/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Honda Civic, '17 MB B250, '14 MB B250. Past: '20 MB E53 wagon, '15 Porsche Macan Turbo, '14 MB E63 Wagon, '07 Honda Odyssey, '06 Audi S4 Avant, '05 Chrysler Pacifica, '03 Kawasaki ZRX 1200R, '98 VW GTI, '98 Jeep Cherokee, '91 Audi 20V quattro coupe
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2018, 03:51:23 pm »
Easily the most bad ass SUV, that you don't have to be a Hong Kong drug lord to afford, on the market. The SRT is an awesome piece of kit, but even the R/T.....mmmmm  :drool: :drool: :drool: I don't know how people buy MDXs, Pilots, Acadias and crap when you can have a bad ass V8, 7 passenger, great looking thing like this instead.

Maybe I'm unique in this regard, but I would take an MDX over this thing 10/10 times. Some of these reasons are subjective and personal, some are objective. Much more reasonable pricing, I have no need for a bad-ass V8 in my SUV (I already have a wagon with one) and I like the idea of using less fuel while still getting all the performance I need out of an engine, I have no need for 7 passenger space, I find the styling of the Durango not to my liking, I hate the idea of how quickly my money would depreciate if I bought an SRT or R/T, I prefer a more reliable vehicle.

Or, maybe people are boring and unimaginative.

ANYWAY, My biggest plus in for the Durango R/T is its ability to tow 7400lbs.  You won't get that out of an MDX or a Highlander.  Plus, it really isn't that much more expensive than an MDX.  A moderately optioned R/T is $60k.  A mid-trim MDX is $61k.  The two are priced comparably.

X100. For $60k, to me, its a no brainer.

Haha! You guys are adorable! "Boring and unimaginative" - I guess that's what I am. I won't argue one iota over that. Does a 2012 Caravan qualify as interesting and imaginative?

ANYWAY, for me, for $60K, it's also a no-brainer. I wouldn't even walk into a FCA dealership if it's my money. That's why it's a wonderful world. There are perfect rides for you guys, fulfilling your needs and wants. And there are rides that are much more suited to what I need and want. And we can all still live in beautiful harmony. Beautiful, interesting, imaginative harmony.

No, a Caravan does not qualify as interesting and imaginative, although it was the vehicle that met my needs and budget at the time.  And, one could argue, I use it in an interesting and imaginative way.

ANYWAY, you are absolutely correct.  There are a multitude of vehicles out there for all tastes and desires.  I DO find the MDX to be a very desirable, and I would pick it 10/10 times over a V6 Durango.  However, when you add a V8 to the Durango, then that changes things considerably.

Very well put. Total respect for using that thing as more than a taxi. We were an RV-towing family until a few years ago, and I wish we would have had something with enough power to pull the trailer AND enough room for our growing family (at the time) and our stuff. Perhaps I WOULD have considered something like the V8 Durango if we hadn't sold the trailer.

In re-reading my post, I'm sorry if my Caravan note came off as a-hole-ish. It was a joke, not a jab.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2018, 03:55:45 pm »
In re-reading my post, I'm sorry if my Caravan note came off as a-hole-ish. It was a joke, not a jab.

I understood.  No offense taken.  Same goes for my 'boring and unimaginative' comment.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
Re: Test Drive: 2018 Dodge Durango SRT
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2018, 03:50:14 pm »
love that this place actually has people who apologize for any mistaken harshness to words.... heh...

those two vehicles are cross shopped the way a wrangler and santa fe are... they can be compared in many categories, but really have not much in common with targeted audience.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now