Author Topic: First Drive: 2019 Subaru Forester  (Read 4344 times)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Re: First Drive: 2019 Subaru Forester
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2018, 02:47:46 pm »
Subaru is still using the full time AWD - so slip/grip.  Yet, anyway.

The RAV's AWD has been changed, and the way it works is like the Subaru system that was used with the four speed AT transmissions.  It engages the rear wheels under a lot more conditions, but unlike the Subaru system, will operate in a FWD only mode in certain instances.  The FWD is used when driving at a steady state on a dead straight road.  Go around a corner, accelerate, etc, and the rear axle is engaged to some degree depending on the need.

The 2019 RAV is a really appealing.  I think it's the best looking RAV yet and the available hybrid is a really good value.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2018, 03:29:52 pm »
The 2019 RAV is a really appealing.  I think it's the best looking RAV yet and the available hybrid is a really good value.
agreed, and i think the Hybrid is the one to get...it uses the new 2.0 system shared with the new Camry.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2018, 03:32:24 pm »
The said AWD version is only available on the "Adventure" trim not across the board. You need to like everything else about that trim if you want the better AWD. This is the catch.....

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2018, 03:42:32 pm »
Why not?

A bunch of reasons.  The Rav has more power, will be better on gas, has a conventional auto, will likely be more reliable.   Resale will be better. They are ultimately both bowls of vanilla ice cream, so to me it makes more sense to get the Toyota for vanilla based reasons.

Granted if you aren't going to be keeping it for more than 6 years the Subaru becomes more compelling.

As for your points:

- better AWD

I am not sure this is true any longer, it appears Toyota put a lot of work into the AWD system.  At the very least, it's going to be a moot point for most buyers.
***Agree, as long as you get the specific trim that comes with the better AWD (constraint) - That's Adventure (Trail trim in Canada)

-higher ground clearance

I assume the Subie will have more but I haven't found the specs for the new Rav.  I did read a motortrend article that said the Rav gained an inch and a half of clearance.  So it's an inch less than the Subie.
*** Subie is 8.7 inch. RAV4 Trail/Adventure is higher than the regular trims so it should be fine, but again constrained to a specific trim

- standard Apple CarPlay/Android Auto and auto-climate control

This is coming to the Rav.
*** CarPlay only. No Andriod Auto (which is what I use)

Out of the two, I would go with the RAV4, but I can see reasons for people to buy the Subie.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 03:46:48 pm by carcrazy »

Offline ericcc

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Legacy
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2018, 10:12:11 pm »

A bunch of reasons.  The Rav has more power, will be better on gas, has a conventional auto, will likely be more reliable.   Resale will be better. They are ultimately both bowls of vanilla ice cream, so to me it makes more sense to get the Toyota for vanilla based reasons.

Granted if you aren't going to be keeping it for more than 6 years the Subaru becomes more compelling.

As for your points:

- better AWD

I am not sure this is true any longer, it appears Toyota put a lot of work into the AWD system.  At the very least, it's going to be a moot point for most buyers.

-higher ground clearance

I assume the Subie will have more but I haven't found the specs for the new Rav.  I did read a motortrend article that said the Rav gained an inch and a half of clearance.  So it's an inch less than the Subie.

- standard Apple CarPlay/Android Auto and auto-climate control

This is coming to the Rav.

Fuel economy is in no way a certain win for the Rav4. The old Forester beat the old Rav4 AWD by 4 MPG highway and city, while powering all wheels all the time. Even if the new Rav4 beats the new Forester, difference likely won't be notable.

AWD capability isn't moot point for people considering Subarus. It's literally the #1 reason people buy them in Canada, northern US.

Here are some reasons for the Forester. Its practicality and ease of access to rear seats and cargo must be top or near-top of the segment. Outward visibility is fantastic as always. Go look outwards the rear windshield of the current Toyota products -Rav4 and NX- and they are friggin horrendous. New rav4 looks to be an improvement, but very likely won't best the Forester. If you have small children, Subaru's are fantastic with multiple carseats; old Rav4 average to below average.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 10:14:54 pm by ericcc »

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2018, 06:53:03 am »
Subaru is the  Japanese  equivalent of FGC
Great if under warranty, pricey out of warranty

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2018, 06:10:30 pm »
Nearly 8 years with our Fozzie.  Total out of warranty costs are about $400 for an O2 sensor.

Brake job was easy to do.  Wife loves Subaru.... It'll be hard to get her into something different, but the kids of the turbo hurts and I'm not buying the 2.5i.

Agreed that the Rav is more compelling, though the CX-5 2.5T is even more so.

Offline chignectohead

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +31/-195
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda6 2.5t
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2018, 12:31:24 am »
Who said they went to slip and grip? Daddy Warbucks? No change so far as I know - three years ago, they dumped the VTD system on the higher-end cars. It had an actual centre differential. Perhaps that's what you mean. If not, well show me your reference - they cling strongly to tradition  at Subaru to have always -on AWD.

So far as this new Forester is concerned, it'll be just great for bumbling down to the farmer's market Saturday morning, dog in tow, mind out of gear. Then on Sunday, a death-defying clamber across the muddy dirt parking lot at the local provincial park walking trail. Nice tailgate to sit on for putting on genuine brand name hiking boots for a challenging two km workout.

Yawn. Next. CX-5 turbo? Oh yeah! The superior replacement for the old XT. Already on sale in Japan.