Author Topic: First Drive: 2020 Genesis G90  (Read 4540 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
Re: First Drive: 2020 Genesis G90
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2019, 05:16:14 pm »
I dunno - I see lots of S class and 7 series in the GO parking lot and they have snow tires on in winter.  More likely to see econoboxes running on all seasons year round, because cost is more likely to be a factor.  Merc dealership probably throws in a set of snows, and if not, the cost including dealership storage is pocket change next to the cost of the car itself.

My insurance company offers a discount if you run snows.....not sure if this is true for everyone.  Which...in a small way..can help offset the cost a touch.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2019, 06:03:41 pm »
I dunno - I see lots of S class and 7 series in the GO parking lot and they have snow tires on in winter.  More likely to see econoboxes running on all seasons year round, because cost is more likely to be a factor.  Merc dealership probably throws in a set of snows, and if not, the cost including dealership storage is pocket change next to the cost of the car itself.

My insurance company offers a discount if you run snows.....not sure if this is true for everyone.  Which...in a small way..can help offset the cost a touch.

Same here. They actually asked me if I used winter tires. Don't know the discount but even if it's only 50 bucks it adds up.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2019, 06:04:29 pm »

Same here. They actually asked me if I used winter tires. Don't know the discount but even if it's only 50 bucks it adds up.

Yea, I'm guessing....5% perhaps?

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2019, 06:06:26 pm »

The number rings a bell.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2019, 07:11:51 pm »

yea, that's what ours is too...it may only be about $60/year, but after 7 years, that's $420...that's a good chunk of change towards the cost of the tires.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12418
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2019, 07:23:32 pm »
I'm frankly not at all sure where this notion that luxury car buyers are less inclined to use winter tires even comes from.  ???

I mean, I get that people are broadly misinformed about awd obviating the need for winter rubber.  But awd is hardly the exclusive province of luxury car buyers.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2019, 08:34:27 pm »
In my wealthy burb there's no shortage of Audis on summer tires year round.  Audis seem to be the worst offenders, but high end car drivers do seem resistant to using winter tires around here.  DKaz is right, Edmonton is developing a lot more use of winter tires, but high end car owners seem more resistant.  No clue as to why.  I wonder if the outrageous dealer priced winter tire packages are part of it?  When I bought the Mercedes, the dealer acted like if I mounted anything other than an OE wheel with a tire supplied by them, the car would burst into flames in meters.  They wanted about $5K for a winter tire and wheel package.