Author Topic: quick q: are there things like CarFax for motorcycles?  (Read 975 times)

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
quick q: are there things like CarFax for motorcycles?
« on: April 23, 2018, 01:39:31 pm »
i thought about motorcycling for a long time, but never took the plunge.  now that i'm older, my interests are waning a lot on riding in general, but i feel like a small bike or scooter to toot around my neighborhood in might be fun, with my SO on the pillion.   ;D

but i digress, looking at some used ones online, they are 2500~6000 range, some of which are literally $200 less than brand new on dealership sites.  i'm assuming the MSRP for bikes don't include "Freight&PDI" type charge????  or do bike dealerships have that?

anyway.  since we hear so many instances for poor financial decisions from our esteemed dealer sales person tooscoops, i'm sure some of these cheap bikes are financed too.

is there a way to check that there's no liens on bikes?  i would assume it was free of liens if it were like, 5 years old or so, but so many bikes are literally 6 months old..

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
Re: quick q: are there things like CarFax for motorcycles?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 01:48:52 pm »
There are freight and PDI/Assembly fees on new bikes.

Not sure about any Carfax service. Haven't heard of one.

Prices are a bit stiffer this time of year, of course. The best deals are usually in the fall before stock gets sent to storage.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 02:51:29 pm »
In Ontario, the UVIP shows liens...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 06:51:02 pm »
You can go to the registry and ask for lien/active title status. That will tell you its has been rebuilt or has a loan pending on it. I suspect most accidents like drops don't get reported especially to write off status.

For new bikes they have GST, freight and usually a new dealer prep. Seemed to me freight ran around $300-600.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 07:33:30 pm »
I did a Carproof on my CB300F. Not that I didn't trust Wing but it was purely due diligence.