Author Topic: CD Article: 2007 Saturn Outlook XE FWD  (Read 8288 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
CD Article: 2007 Saturn Outlook XE FWD
« on: July 23, 2007, 12:01:29 am »
Today's First Drive:
2007 Saturn Outlook XE FWD

2007 Saturn Outlook XE FWDThe new Saturn Outlook offers a "surprisingly sophisticated V6 powertrain" but fuel economy is not great, says contributor Laurance Yap.  The interior is roomy, but poor sightlines make it hard to park, he reports.

More...

Read the article | View the photos | All The First Drives

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
Re: CD Article: 2007 Saturn Outlook XE FWD
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 06:41:23 am »
I'm in the market for a new vehicle sometime this year and have looked at several of these new larger CUV's (Veracruz,CX-9,Outlook etc). I'd have to say that for my tastes they're all just a little too big and a little too "vanlike". They're so long that when you look back from the driver's seat the cabin almost appears narrow in proportion.
  I also find the trend in interiors lately to be unrelentingly dark and stark. Everything seems to be either black w. silver plastic trim or black w. faux titanium.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 11:45:04 am »
I'm in the market for a new vehicle sometime this year and have looked at several of these new larger CUV's (Veracruz,CX-9,Outlook etc). I'd have to say that for my tastes they're all just a little too big and a little too "vanlike". They're so long that when you look back from the driver's seat the cabin almost appears narrow in proportion.

Why are you looking at large crossovers then if you find them too big? There's lots of compact and some mid-sized ones out there too.

Think the Outlook offers good value for a large SUV-ish crossover, even up against a Sienna AWD minivan it seems reasonable.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 11:48:19 am by sirAQUAMAN64 »
AQUAMAN64 also posts on DriverBlogs.com!

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 02:08:11 pm »

Why are you looking at large crossovers then if you find them too big? There's lots of compact and some mid-sized ones out there too.

I didn't decide they were too big until I'd looked at/test driven them. I started to consider them after deciding Santa Fe,CX-7 and the new VUE were just a bit small. I feel a little bit like Goldilocks....so far nothing is "Just Right" :)

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 05:51:13 pm »

I didn't decide they were too big until I'd looked at/test driven them. I started to consider them after deciding Santa Fe,CX-7 and the new VUE were just a bit small. I feel a little bit like Goldilocks....so far nothing is "Just Right" :)

Maybe the new Highlander will be good enough?

Offline sirAQUAMAN64

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +8/-54
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2001 VW Golf TDI 3Dr 5MT, 2007 VW Golf GTI 6MT, 2008 Saturn Astra XR 5Dr 4AT, 2010 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6MT, 2014 Chevrolet Orlando 2LT
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 10:05:55 am »

Tribeca or Murano?

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 10:54:23 am »

Tribeca or Murano?

Can't stand Tribeca's interior. The swoopy jet fighter twin cockpit thing does nothing for me. Looks to me like a 1960's "space age" concept car.

Murano's a nice vehicle but the styling just leaves me cold.

I'm beginning to think what I really want is a brand new 2004 Pathfinder LE ??? I wish they'd never done the 05 redesign.

Greg B.

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 03:57:24 pm »
I saw one of these in the flesh today for the first time. The one unshakeable impression it left on me was that it was just humungously big. The way the greenhouse sits on top of the body reminds me of some housecats you see that are overfed, so the head is too small for their bodies. I can't understand why GM felt the need to make the thing so big and heavy. The irony of it was that it damn near ran over an old S-series Saturn sedan while merging in front of me onto the expressway... I think it might not have even been noticeable by the Outlook's driver if she had done that, sort of like those stories you hear of container ships running into sailboats in the fog and nobody on board realizing it. The size difference between the two is astounding.

As for the looks of it... not great, not bad. The front end looks vaguely 18-wheeler-ish, with a tall, bluff nose that accentuates the size of the vehicle. The rear suffers a bit from ugly-taillight syndrome with the plastichrome disease, though not as bad as some cars like the Altima and the Fusion.

I have to think a 5000-pound, $50,000 Saturn is going to be a tough sell.

Mitlov

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 04:21:37 pm »

They're selling like hotcakes down here, along with the Acadia.  I see them all over.

Offline G0dspd

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +11/-4
  • Vroum Vroum
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 07:54:47 pm »
They're selling like hotcakes down here, along with the Acadia.  I see them all over.

More Acadias than Outlooks around here.  Also, they are a more sensible proposition than the Trailblazer/Envoy they "replace" (I know they're still available but they will die-off or become more specialized).

"General Motors is expected to introduce a new crossover SUV based off the new pavement-oriented Lambda chassis. Because of this, the TrailBlazer is expected to be refreshed in a manner similar in size and price to the Nissan Xterra, creating a niche off-road vehicle that will slot under the Tahoe in price range. It is likely to retain the GMT360 platform and continue production at its Moraine, Ohio assembly facility"
"Can we make this quick? I have to give a banana to Annie's Boobs."

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2007, 11:31:03 am »
... ::) a 5,000lb HOTCAKE....no wonder there is an Obesity Epidemic..... ;D can I SUPERSIZE IT?....
Time is to stop everything happening at once