Author Topic: Hyundai reveals images, tech details of Ioniq EV  (Read 2531 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Hyundai reveals images, tech details of Ioniq EV
« on: January 08, 2016, 08:23:45 pm »
Hybrid model will be first to market
Read More...

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
Re: Hyundai reveals images, tech details of Ioniq EV
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 10:04:53 pm »
interesting that they seem to shy away from CVTs...while many do get panned, it does seem to offer the most efficiency, which is what a vehicle in this class is all about...i suppose a decent twin clutch is better than a poorly designed CVT, but i would have thought a CVT would be simpler to engineer and build than a decent twin clutch...after having a ride in a friend's Mits Lancer Ralliart, i'd pass.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 09:33:44 am »
I see Hyundai is trying to out-Prius the Prius.  Good luck with that one...leave the split window to Toyota.

Under the hood, Hyundai will bolt in a new engine exclusive to the Ioniq that boasts 40 percent thermal efficiency and generates 104 hp and 109 lb-ft of torque. It’ll work alongside an electric motor good for 43 hp and 125 lb-ft, and both power sources will be put to work through a new six-speed dual-clutch transmission
I'm wondering what the combined output will be, but 40% thermal efficiency seems high for an ICE, but low comparatively for an electric-only motor.  I'm not sure what the TE is for other hybrids out there, but if Hyundai is the first to publish a combined number, it may be more marketing hype than actual engineering primacy.  I'm interested to know the answer.

As for the tranny, new 6-speed DCT - why not use the 7-speed unit, especially when hybrids tend to do a bit worse at highway speeds?  Most people still don't like traditional CVTs, but the way that Toyota integrated the eCVT in the Hybrid Synergy Drive is actually excellent...I absolutely love the planetary gear shift Power-Split Device.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Hyundai reveals images, tech details of Ioniq EV
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 10:42:53 am »
40% thermal efficiency is only in relation to the engine (i.e.  gasoline engine).  You usually only relate thermal efficiency to an engine (heat being converted to mechanical work) and not electric motors (electricity converted to mechanical work).

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 11:00:51 am »
40% thermal efficiency is only in relation to the engine (i.e.  gasoline engine).  You usually only relate thermal efficiency to an engine (heat being converted to mechanical work) and not electric motors (electricity converted to mechanical work).
I thought otherwise, but if true, that's an incredible figure for an ICE!