Author Topic: First Drive: 2016 Smart ForTwo  (Read 11366 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2016 Smart ForTwo
« on: September 09, 2015, 06:31:26 am »

Street-smart yes, book-smart no.
Read More...

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
Re: First Drive: 2016 Smart ForTwo
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 07:47:29 am »
Looks better, but still wondering why someone would choose this over a Nissan Micra or a lower trim level Honda Fit.  Sure those cars are bigger and maybe you want the smallest car possible, but if you can't manage a Micra in parking lots and streets, you probably shouldn't be on the road.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 08:12:06 am »
RWD.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 09:42:43 am »
From the day this hit our shores I thought they'd messed the pricing up.  This car is meant to compete with the Mirage/Micra/etc crowd but is priced far, far higher.  Yeah, I know about "premium features" blah blah blah, but it still looks to me like what should be a cheap car.

The Smart makes sense to me at $12K.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 09:46:37 am »
From the day this hit our shores I thought they'd messed the pricing up.  This car is meant to compete with the Mirage/Micra/etc crowd but is priced far, far higher.  Yeah, I know about "premium features" blah blah blah, but it still looks to me like what should be a cheap car.

I concur.

Offline pcsp

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +38/-53
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Nissan Juke AWD (current), 2008 HHR SS (current), 1974 Mazda 929, Triumph TR6, VW Diesel PU, 1981 VW Cabriolet, 1987 Dodge Raider, etc.
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 09:53:58 am »

Agreed, $12000 is about right as a starting price. It's really too bad that the Smart has been relegated to the "oddity" status. It's actually a vehicle that would be seriously considered by many if: a.) the price was right, and b.) if the fuel economy was outstanding and better than any other small car (it is not). Really pisses me off that a consumer willing to make some compromises in order to have a nimble, sensible city car is forced to make completely unacceptable compromises in the form of price and economy. It's like an SUV that can't tow much (you hear me Nissan?). Taking the diesel option away from NA customers was the beginning of the end for this niche vehicle.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 10:52:43 am »
RWD.
Seriously?  Is RWD even a factor in such a slow, diminutive box-on-wheels?!?!

I agree with all above that the only draw to these tiny, urban cars is the pricetag.  Hell, even HGTV's Tiny Househunters (the Tiny House movement) exists because folks just don't want mortgages.  There are benefits to having small runabouts, but yes, starting at $17k is absurd for an enclosed motorcycle (golfcart?  MarioKart?).  Add in quirks like a noisy, busy powertrain and you just have too many compromises for what is still a LOT of money.

I'm not saying these cars shouldn't exist - but they're better off being purposefully built for car-sharing programs like Car2Go and Zipcar.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 11:11:37 am »
I totally understand "premium small cars" like an Audi - they're only small in size, but rich on features and driving experience.  Then we have small cars that are meant to minimize operating costs.  One of the keys to this minimizing of costs is not just in a low fuel bill, but in the upfront cost and depreciation.

The Smart is not a Mercedes A or B or anything like it.  The driving experience is economical - barely.  I'm not sure about the gas versions, but the diesel versions were horrible in terms of reliability and build quality was bottom of the heap. 

So, what are you paying for?  Features?  Well, hate to break it to MB, but the economy class cars are now bursting at the seams with features.  Economy?  Once again, despite it's small size, fuel economy is not outstanding.  Many larger more practical cars achieve the same or even better.  Economy of operation?  The high purchase price and terrible depreciation add a lot to the long term costs.  Add in niche dealers and low volume parts prices and your costs are quite high.  Driving experience?  Pretty much every car around save perhaps the Mirage hands down beats it in that regard.

What are people paying for?  The "look at me" factor.  That's it.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2015, 11:38:02 am »
Thats always been my sticking point with these things. Their prices were ridiculous, you could get a real, honest to god car for cheaper than a Smart. I do not see enough benefits to these as opposed to a Festiva, Mazda 2, Rio/Accent to ever consider one of these for more money.

Agreed, $12000 is about right as a starting price. It's really too bad that the Smart has been relegated to the "oddity" status. It's actually a vehicle that would be seriously considered by many if: a.) the price was right, and b.) if the fuel economy was outstanding and better than any other small car (it is not). Really pisses me off that a consumer willing to make some compromises in order to have a nimble, sensible city car is forced to make completely unacceptable compromises in the form of price and economy. It's like an SUV that can't tow much (you hear me Nissan?). Taking the diesel option away from NA customers was the beginning of the end for this niche vehicle.

I'm a RWD slappy, but yeah, this is not a factor when you are talking about an underpowered penalty box like the Smart.
Lighten up Francis.....

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2015, 11:40:43 am »
My Dad was considering selling his Jeep and getting one of these.  His theory was that he could fit the Smart Car AND his motorcycle inside an enclosed trailer and tow it behind his RV. 

Far as I know, he decided to buy a second motorcycle instead.

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +30/-77
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 BMW 440i, 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2015, 11:47:12 am »

Offline Brendan McAleer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: WRX
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2015, 12:23:16 pm »
RWD.

Traction control can't be defeated, and the tires are staggered to produce prominent understeer. This thing has an amazing turning circle, and is actually pretty fun to drive. As pointed out, it doesn't make a lot of sense. But fun.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2015, 12:25:36 pm »
RWD.

Traction control can't be defeated, and the tires are staggered to produce prominent understeer. This thing has an amazing turning circle, and is actually pretty fun to drive. As pointed out, it doesn't make a lot of sense. But fun.

I think Top Gear called the Smart out for being a sketchy handling car, even the Stig couldn't handle its understeer.

https://youtu.be/aQs4Q6LrZ34

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2015, 12:25:43 pm »
RWD.

How did you find the steering feel?  I haven't driven a Smart in...well...probably 6 years (at the Auto Show test track).  It was not what I'd call 'fun' back then.  Perhaps now?

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2015, 12:28:05 pm »
I totally understand "premium small cars" like an Audi - they're only small in size, but rich on features and driving experience.  Then we have small cars that are meant to minimize operating costs.  One of the keys to this minimizing of costs is not just in a low fuel bill, but in the upfront cost and depreciation.

The Smart is not a Mercedes A or B or anything like it.  The driving experience is economical - barely.  I'm not sure about the gas versions, but the diesel versions were horrible in terms of reliability and build quality was bottom of the heap. 

So, what are you paying for?  Features?  Well, hate to break it to MB, but the economy class cars are now bursting at the seams with features.  Economy?  Once again, despite it's small size, fuel economy is not outstanding.  Many larger more practical cars achieve the same or even better.  Economy of operation?  The high purchase price and terrible depreciation add a lot to the long term costs.  Add in niche dealers and low volume parts prices and your costs are quite high.  Driving experience?  Pretty much every car around save perhaps the Mirage hands down beats it in that regard.

What are people paying for?  The "look at me" factor.  That's it.

I think you are missing the point as totally as my dad, who could not get over why I'd want to drive across the country in a motorcycle vs a nice, comfortable car. 'You'll just get wet' he said. And that was perfectly true, but totally not relevant.

The very shortness of the thing makes a big difference in city driving and parking. Like my buddies old Geo, you can see a parking spot you just turn into to it, bam! Parking is suddenly a pleasure, zipping around in congested areas is a fun game, blind spots are suddenly zero. And really, that's what 95% of Edmonton city driving is about.

Sure it would be better priced if someone other than Mercedes built it, but it's still not an expensive machine. Now it looks less like a baby buggy and has a more normal transmission it may start to sell. An electric version of this new model would be interesting to me as a run around car.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2015, 12:31:56 pm »
And it's quite the drag racer:
https://youtu.be/5zvTGJgGDHM?t=26

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2015, 12:52:34 pm »
I think you are missing the point as totally as my dad, who could not get over why I'd want to drive across the country in a motorcycle vs a nice, comfortable car. 'You'll just get wet' he said. And that was perfectly true, but totally not relevant.

Waitaminute!  I have a Miata and have traveled all over North America on a motorcycle!  I totally get it!!!

I love small cars - but it seems that the ONLY thing the Smart has going for it is size.  That's it.  It's an expensive small car with pretty much no other redeeming qualities that I can find.

Offline jamesautos

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +14/-59
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2015, 12:59:42 pm »
Wait til the sup $200 lease special with no down...like the promo we had on current generation...parents picked one up for second short trip communter...they couldn't be happier as it was much better than TTC

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2015, 01:01:39 pm »
For that kind of money you could buy two Micras and wear them as shoes.

:rofl:
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2015, 01:02:12 pm »
Wait til the sup $200 lease special with no down.

That makes sense.