Author Topic: Comparison Test: 2015 Toyota Camry V6 vs 2015 Honda Accord V6  (Read 19177 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile

Beat the neighbours.
Read More...

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
Re: Comparison Test: 2015 Toyota Camry V6 vs 2015 Honda Accord V6
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 07:55:51 am »
Of course, showing off to the neighbours isn’t what buying a well-contended Japanese mid-size is really about; no, for that you need a leased four-cylinder Mercedes with a badge like a manhole cover.

:rofl: Excellent!!

Instead, leather seats and a non-premium badge speak to a far less showy demographic. Maybe the kids are finally out of the house and the reduced monthly internet/laundry/food bill meant you could move up a peg when you traded the old girl in. Er, your former car I mean.

You've been reading my thread?
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 08:45:36 am »
You know,  I'm sure the top trim specs of these cars are indeed beautiful.

BUT, have you sat in the base/near-base trims of this model?  I sat in a 2015 Accord Sport recently and I wasn't really impressed.  Mostly by the seat fabric.  It was this cheap-looking and cheap-feeling but probably quite durable cloth.  I don't know about you, but even in a cloth interior car, the material that makes up the seat plays a HUGE part in my perception of the interior quality of a vehicle.  That Accord just felt...well, cheap. 

The same goes for the base model 2015 Altima that my brother rented when he was here a couple of weeks ago.  Nice car, but man, the seats felt as cheap as possible. 

Compare this now, to my Altima from a few years ago.  The seat material, while still cloth and not leather, is this nice little microfiber material that is very soft to the touch.  The entire interior is swathed in this material and it feels and looks very nice.  I'm sure the Accords of a few years ago had similar materials on their base models. 

It just seems to me that in the last couple of years (the last redesign of the major models) that car manufacturers are going through some major cost cutting efforts.  The cars may have more equipment and electronics than before, but we seem to be paying the price with overall interior quality.

Just my 2c.

Offline Kris78

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +28/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Chevy Traverse, 2013 Suzuki SV650SF
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 08:59:42 am »
Another great read Brendan - thanks!

As mentioned, the Accord Sport w/ 6-speed would be my choice, but there was one thing that bugged me, and it wasn't the 60/40 split seat...

I sat in a 2015 Accord Sport recently and I wasn't really impressed.  Mostly by the seat fabric.  It was this cheap-looking and cheap-feeling but probably quite durable cloth.  I don't know about you, but even in a cloth interior car, the material that makes up the seat plays a HUGE part in my perception of the interior quality of a vehicle.  That Accord just felt...well, cheap. 

The interior left me disappointed as well. Perhaps it was simply unrealistic expectations, but I expected everything to be a little nicer than it was. While it is a step up from my Civic, it wasn't the leap above that I thought it would be.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 09:16:26 am »
Recently spent some time around the 2015 Camry XSE a better car in many ways to the previous model, finally matching and exceeding the 15 Accord in many ways.

If I was on the fence the proper folding rear seat on the Camry would be enough to solidify my decision being that's how close these two seem to be. Lack of proper folding rear seat in the Accord really irks me.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 09:23:23 am »

As mentioned, the Accord Sport w/ 6-speed would be my choice, but there was one thing that bugged me, and it wasn't the 60/40 split seat...

I sat in a 2015 Accord Sport recently and I wasn't really impressed.  Mostly by the seat fabric.  It was this cheap-looking and cheap-feeling but probably quite durable cloth.  I don't know about you, but even in a cloth interior car, the material that makes up the seat plays a HUGE part in my perception of the interior quality of a vehicle.  That Accord just felt...well, cheap. 

The interior left me disappointed as well. Perhaps it was simply unrealistic expectations, but I expected everything to be a little nicer than it was. While it is a step up from my Civic, it wasn't the leap above that I thought it would be.

That's the thing.  Go into a base Accord from 2010/2011 and I bet you any money it will have a nicer feeling interior.  There is some serious cost-cutting going on these days.  Probably so they can put more electronics in the cars without pissing off the bean-counters too much.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 09:36:30 am »
I haven't found the Accords of any of the last three generations to be great unless you went with leather.

I find the interior in my Odyssey to be a bit homely.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 09:43:25 am »

That's the thing.  Go into a base Accord from 2010/2011 and I bet you any money it will have a nicer feeling interior.  There is some serious cost-cutting going on these days.  Probably so they can put more electronics in the cars without pissing off the bean-counters too much.

The mouse fur seat fabric on the Accord LX was a surprise. I hadn't seen that stuff since the 1980s or so. There are base cars, then there are base cars. That one pounded home the fact you were in fact driving a base car and deserved punishment. The Passat Trendline was streets ahead in that regard.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 09:49:31 am »
It just seems to me that in the last couple of years (the last redesign of the major models) that car manufacturers are going through some major cost cutting efforts.  The cars may have more equipment and electronics than before, but we seem to be paying the price with overall interior quality.

Couldn't agree more. The seat fabric in quite a few new vehicles I've explored is sub-par and disappointing compared to older vehicles. All too often I find it's slippery, shiny, vinyl-infused, everything-proof pseudo-fabric. Maybe it's a way to move people up in to higher trim levels with leather interiors? Of the affordable brands, Mazda seems to have escaped this trend with comfortable fabric seats in the 3 and 6.

As for the cars in the comparison, I just can't get over the looks of the Camry. The design is disjointed - bland from some angles, overly aggressive from others. To my eyes, it's just not well thought-out. But then, I also prefer more understated designs, often employed by the European brands. The Honda is clean, elegant, and will stand the test of time. Design alone would sway me towards the Honda, and from what I understand the 'sportier' driving experience would seal the deal.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Comparison Test: 2015 Toyota Camry V6 vs 2015 Honda Accord V6
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 10:33:48 am »
I miss the velour in my dad's 1983 LeSabre.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 10:43:20 am »

Say what you will about American cars of that era, but I don't think there is anything more comfortable.  Soft, floaty suspension, and seats that make you feel like you're sitting in an overstuffed couch at home.  They were pretty good road trip cars for that reason.  Everything else about them was crap, but at least they were comfortable.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 11:34:53 am »
Thanks for the pic, it reminds me that we've come a long way and full circle.

I hated the interior smell of most of these cars back in the day. The levels of VOC's they gave off especially on hot days was enough to make one  :hurl:

« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 11:48:23 am by redman »

Offline caretaker007

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2015, 11:40:28 am »

Say what you will about American cars of that era, but I don't think there is anything more comfortable.  Soft, floaty suspension, and seats that make you feel like you're sitting in an overstuffed couch at home.  They were pretty good road trip cars for that reason.  Everything else about them was crap, but at least they were comfortable.
....COULD'NT AGREE MORE...JUST LOVED THOSE 79-83 GRAND PRIX'S ..FOR THE COMFORT ANYHOW. ;)

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2015, 11:47:46 am »
I find the seats on this Mazda6 comfortable with the look of quality.  Also more sporty than the 1st gen Mazda6.  I also find with this material that they show dirt easily, and harder to clean...

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2015, 11:53:59 am »
:rofl: those dice!

I always say it, but reviewers tend not to.  Even here, everyone else is harping on the Accord for not having a split rear seat.

...but, Brendan, in all his glory, wrote:
Also, no split-folding rear seat? What is this – North Korea? We demand our split-folding rear seats! 60/40 or fight!

to

MUCH appreciated, Brendan!  No split rear seat in a mid-size sedan?  Where's the utility of the beast?

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2015, 12:05:06 pm »
This has been mentioned before.  The Accord probably has one of the worst trunks in the segment.  Not only does it not have the 60/40 split, but it is not very square, like in german vehicles (Passat), even the 6 is pretty square. 

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2015, 12:08:16 pm »

Okay, fine, someone needs to point out the obvious.  You are misinformed.  That was a picture of the 2005 LeSabre interior.

Nope, seems like '83 as my '78 summer beater LeSabre had the same IP. Mine was as basic as they came, no a/c, nothing electric, and a massive one-piece vinyl bench up front. Got 21 l/100km on a good day. 23 most of the time.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2015, 12:11:07 pm »
Can't believe the old style trunk hinges are still being used...

Offline Steve C

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Mazda 3 Sport
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2015, 12:14:05 pm »
The light grey seats in the base Accord LX have to be the worse seating material currently offered in a new car. The colour is so light they are showing stains on the dealers lot. (true story), the fabric looks incredibly cheap. I think the Accord LX with the 6 speed manual is a great deal otherwise, and I have considered it, but I cannot see me living with that crappy material long term. The Sport trim fabric looks like a Rolls Royce interior by comparison of it's material.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2015, 12:15:11 pm »

The mouse fur seat fabric on the Accord LX was a surprise. I hadn't seen that stuff since the 1980s or so. There are base cars, then there are base cars. That one pounded home the fact you were in fact driving a base car and deserved punishment. The Passat Trendline was streets ahead in that regard.

Shopping an Accord right now, and though I haven't seen the interior of an LX since the current car's lauch, I seem to remember that it's actually better than the heavy-duty (?) fabric in the Sport.  As posted above, I love the Sport but the interior is a bit bland. The base Hybrid probably has the best cloth option for the Accord sedan range.

When the current Passat launched, the cloth in the base car was awful. There were no seatback pockets, and very visible sewing lines as a result. The seatback material looked like the stuff that goes underneath furniture. The re-packaged Trendline now has much better cloth, but still pretty basic.