Author Topic: Toyota, Mazda to form technology-sharing partnership  (Read 2980 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Toyota, Mazda to form technology-sharing partnership
« on: May 13, 2015, 03:44:31 pm »
No ring yet, but the relationship sounds promising
Read More...

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
Re: Toyota, Mazda to form technology-sharing partnership
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 04:26:38 pm »
I don't understand how that iA is any bit a Toyota - it looks Mazda through and through.

Either way, let's see how it unveils itself - the partnership with Toyota getting better ICEs sounds really, really great.

...and if Toyota keeps it up, maybe we'll see an HCCI boxer 4-banger ;)

Offline Danno001

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +13/-45
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 09:32:17 am »
Must be a very difficult technology to master for consumer use. There are videos on YouTube from 2007 showing a GM animation of their HCCI engine design.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 10:20:48 am »
Interesting and innovative to see a small company like Mazda becoming a leader in the combustion engine tech.

I get the sharing somewhat but don't really see hydrogen as being a viable fuel source option considering hydrogen fuel infrastructure requirements.

Wonder if there will a be some three way sharing with FHI considering Toyota's part ownership of Subaru.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 10:56:14 am »
Wonder if there will a be some three way sharing with FHI considering Toyota's part ownership of Subaru.
Like I said - D4S Boxer with HCCI, hybrid synergy drive and symmetrical AWD.

...all in a car that MSRPs for under $30k :)

Offline Danno001

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +13/-45
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 11:18:29 am »

I get the sharing somewhat but don't really see hydrogen as being a viable fuel source option considering hydrogen fuel infrastructure requirements.

From what I see, it goes beyond infrastructure to where it costs more to manufacture hydrogen that the net end result in BTU finished product. That is a very difficult obstacle to over come, and then there are the infrastructure issues to deal with.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 12:35:52 pm »
I understand it takes 130,000BTUs to strip 100,000BTUs of H from H2O.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 01:22:29 pm »
That's the issue - electrolysis requires the input of energy to split the water particle, and when Hydrogen is allowed to react with Oxygen, it's an exothermic reaction (releases energy).  You obviously need the latter to power the drive battery in FCEVs, and so, unless hydrogen gas is naturally occurring in quantities that are necessary for the demand, it has to be made by splitting water (which takes energy to accomplish).  Those factories will invariably use some form of energy to run - be it coal, hydro, nuclear, etc.  Based on energy demands, it won't be wind.

I think making ICEs better, along with hybrids (more so range-extended BEVs) are the way of the future.  The more I read into HCCI, the more I wonder if perhaps the best thing to do is to make a very, very small generator ICE with HCCI rather than a traction engine since HCCI's main disadvantage is that it doesn't work well at low or high RPMs.  You could therefore use the HCCI engine to generate electricity at the optimum efficiency when necessary to recharge the battery.

Or perhaps that's Toyota-Mazda's ideal - to create a better RxBEV?  To out-Volt the Volt?

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 12:45:26 am »
That's the issue - electrolysis requires the input of energy to split the water particle, and when Hydrogen is allowed to react with Oxygen, it's an exothermic reaction (releases energy).  You obviously need the latter to power the drive battery in FCEVs, and so, unless hydrogen gas is naturally occurring in quantities that are necessary for the demand, it has to be made by splitting water (which takes energy to accomplish).  Those factories will invariably use some form of energy to run - be it coal, hydro, nuclear, etc.  Based on energy demands, it won't be wind.

I think making ICEs better, along with hybrids (more so range-extended BEVs) are the way of the future.  The more I read into HCCI, the more I wonder if perhaps the best thing to do is to make a very, very small generator ICE with HCCI rather than a traction engine since HCCI's main disadvantage is that it doesn't work well at low or high RPMs.  You could therefore use the HCCI engine to generate electricity at the optimum efficiency when necessary to recharge the battery.

Or perhaps that's Toyota-Mazda's ideal - to create a better RxBEV?  To out-Volt the Volt?
Another option: They could make the engine only operate in HCCI mode once up to speed/cruising/light loads.  Use spark ignition for other conditions.  Mercedes Benz had a prototype engine running in a car that did just that.  It's basically running like a diesel, but on gasoline instead when on HCCI mode.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 10:36:21 am »

Another option: They could make the engine only operate in HCCI mode once up to speed/cruising/light loads.  Use spark ignition for other conditions.  Mercedes Benz had a prototype engine running in a car that did just that.  It's basically running like a diesel, but on gasoline instead when on HCCI mode.
:popcorn:

Offline CSH

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +71/-102
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Telsa Model 3 SR+, 2009 Honda CRV, 2015 Honda CBR500R
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2015, 12:54:57 pm »
Well maybe the next prius will have a skyactiv engine to improve the fuel economy even more and Mazda will offer a 3 or 6 hybrid using toyota's system. dont know how much will the FE improve. Toyota needs bits and pieces of skyactiv and mazada can do with toyota's hybrid knowledge

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 01:02:05 pm »
Well maybe the next prius will have a skyactiv engine to improve the fuel economy even more and Mazda will offer a 3 or 6 hybrid using toyota's system. dont know how much will the FE improve. Toyota needs bits and pieces of skyactiv and mazada can do with toyota's hybrid knowledge
Didn't Nissan use Toyota's HSD in the Altima (the V6 hybrid), and then later developed its own 2.5L supercharged Hybrid for the QX60 and Pathfinder?

Offline northsparrow

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-27
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2015, 08:07:36 am »
What is the Automotive World coming to when Toyota can no longer bother to build their own engines or cars?

It sounds like they are stealing a page from 1980s GM's book and we know how that ended.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2015, 08:12:26 am »
What is the Automotive World coming to when Toyota can no longer bother to build their own engines or cars?

It sounds like they are stealing a page from 1980s GM's book and we know how that ended.
Apple has no factories, they appear to be doing OK