Author Topic: Test Drive: 2015 Honda CR-V Touring  (Read 8571 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2015 Honda CR-V Touring
« on: March 04, 2015, 06:28:51 am »

New driver-assistance active safety features on the 2015 CR-V Touring can automatically brake, accelerate and even steer to avoid a collision ' but there's a downside.
Read More...

Offline bombastic

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +14/-261
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda 626, Mazda MPV, Toyota Camry, VW Tiguan, VW Passat, Dodge GC
Re: Test Drive: 2015 Honda CR-V Touring
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 10:02:22 am »
While is not a bad CUV but "Price as tested: $38,435" - is quite a lot. At this level I would opt for a Highlander. A much better car in every way.
Bombastic

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 10:29:44 am »
While is not a bad CUV but "Price as tested: $38,435" - is quite a lot. At this level I would opt for a Highlander. A much better car in every way.

I agree somewhat. It does depend on how the vehicles are packaged. Any loaded smaller vehicle will start to approach the entry level of it's bigger brother or similar competitor, but that may not be what the buyer is looking for.

I'm still not comfortable with the variant of AWD used by the CR-V. Good money deserves a good system and my reasoning stands.
If Subaru and Mitsubishi can do it at the same price point why can't Honda deliver a better more competent AWD system.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 01:24:06 pm by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 10:54:31 am »

In every way except having features and amenities and safety features at that price. And fuel economy. And it's more difficult to park.

I don't understand why this comes up in every thread. We all know that loaded versions of small cars overlap base versions of large cars.

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 11:11:37 am »

In every way except having features and amenities and safety features at that price. And fuel economy. And it's more difficult to park.

I don't understand why this comes up in every thread. We all know that loaded versions of small cars overlap base versions of large cars.

I totally agree with you, you can bet the base price of its own 2016 Pilot will start at a lower price than this.  This is the case for virtually every manufacturer out there on many of their models.  Some people simply do not want a large vehicle, but want a smaller one with many features - hence the reason the manufacturers build these vehicles to try to accommodate as many variations as possible.

the previous comment referred to the Highlander, you can get close to the price of this tested CR-V with the RAV4, so no different.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 01:13:15 pm by conwelpic »

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 11:28:36 am »

Or a Pilot.....$38K for a vehicle with a highly suspect "awd" is a lot of coin.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 11:51:13 am »
What is a reasonable price then for this class of vehicle with that amount of technology? 

The crap AWD system gets brought up by the same posters in every CRV thread and many others.  Yet they have zero experience with it.  I have never been left for wanting for a better AWD system in ours.  If your lifestyle has you needing to get to a trail head in very poor road conditions like John, then buy yourself something with a better AWD system.  If your the average owner toting kids around and making the usual family trips, the system will be more than adequate for when things get ugly.  It's mostly a reactive system, like most others in this class.

Yes the system could be better, it can always be better.  I guess Honda has decided that at this level it's good enough.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Northernridge

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 11:56:10 am »
I'm pretty sure the loaded CRV is priced with its piers, e.g. I think you can get a Ford Escape over $40k. HL, et al are a different class of vehicle.

I'm really digging the illuminated front end of the new CRV, the driving lights are cool.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 12:28:52 pm »
Hard to go wrong in this segment.  Revised CRV, CX-5, Rogue are the latest.  Hard for the consumer and manufacturers to keep up.  Is now a good time, or do we wait till next year, when something else is added..

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 01:07:38 pm »
I'm pretty sure the loaded CRV is priced with its piers, e.g. I think you can get a Ford Escape over $40k. HL, et al are a different class of vehicle.

I'm really digging the illuminated front end of the new CRV, the driving lights are cool.

Yup, these small CUVs cover a huge price range - from $23k to $40k....things get confusing in the Ford line up though, as soon as one jumps to the Escape Titanium, the price difference between it and an Edge Titanium with the same engine is very small - like 3k. That tells me the Edge is more competitively priced than the Escape Titanium.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2015, 01:43:00 pm »
What is a reasonable price then for this class of vehicle with that amount of technology? 

The crap AWD system gets brought up by the same posters in every CRV thread and many others.  Yet they have zero experience with it.  I have never been left for wanting for a better AWD system in ours.  If your lifestyle has you needing to get to a trail head in very poor road conditions like John, then buy yourself something with a better AWD system.  If your the average owner toting kids around and making the usual family trips, the system will be more than adequate for when things get ugly.  It's mostly a reactive system, like most others in this class.

Yes the system could be better, it can always be better.  I guess Honda has decided that at this level it's good enough.

The crap AWD system gets brought up by the same posters in every CRV thread and many others.

Yes, simply because it's a CRV with AWD thread and this is an autos web site forum where major points related to the vehicle in question get discussed and brought up.

...then buy yourself something with a better AWD system

It was a deal breaker for someone like us coming out of a Subaru, we did look and test drive new CRV. Could not go with newer vehicle that had an inferior AWD system than our older vehicle. The Swedish test was convincing, although not necessarily real world, nonetheless a fail from a standstill. We thought the issues of reactive systems were mostly issues once in motion. http://www.autoblog.com/2014/10/24/honda-cr-v-fails-swedish-awd-test/

It's mostly a reactive system, like most others in this class. Yes the system could be better, it can always be better.  I guess Honda has decided that at this level it's good enough.

My point being that for the money there are better systems and Honda can and should do better. Good enough is individual. Recently there was a blog here indicating distance traveled at highway speeds before reactive AWD kick in. Not good enough to justify the AWD vs FWD variant for me. I doubt most bloggers here are comfortable with adequate, but given by the CRV sales most buyer are. Making the CRV AWD system little more than a moot point beyond auto forums.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 01:55:09 pm by redman »

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 04:38:34 pm »
I recently drove this exact model. The only comment I will make re: the AWD system is that I have seen MANY stuck CRVs on in the snow, and the torque-steer is more pronounced than in any other AWD car I've ever driven. IMO, it's worse than in my Corolla.

It's a really, really good car, with the best transmission in the segment, but the torque-steer, button-happy HMI system, and lack of options (HIDs, more powerful engine, ventilated seats/heated steering wheel) keep me thinking that the$38k list price is too high.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 04:52:39 pm »

The vehicle is great and the slip and grip is fine for the intended customer.  The only thing it lacks and it's fairly significant is a diff lock for under 20 km/ph

Offline Minou

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-26
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Mazda 3 GS, 2016 Ford Edge SEL, 2016 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2015, 10:03:04 pm »
"However, we noticed that when the engine is idling, the idle speed is so low that the whole vehicle vibrates slightly – enough to feel it through the driver’s seat. I’m guessing this was a problem with my particular test vehicle and not a vehicle-wide phenomenon."

I've noticed all 06+ Honda Civics doing this.  Very noticeable in underground garages or adjacent to your house making the dishes rattle in the cupboards.

And what is it with Honda's version of Blind Spot Monitoring only working on the right side?  I happen to flash on the left as often as to the right...  I prefer the more simple "bilingual" BSM on my Mazda.

Offline G.Bombay

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2015, 12:35:00 am »

I have always valued the opinion everyone who posts on auto.ca forum however AWD is so overrated here it's kind of funny. the CRV is a family hauler that is more than capable when weather comes into play, sure it's not the best in extreme elevation changes or if you live in areas where they don't plow the roads but other than that I'm sure you will be fine. don't get me wrong I used to drive a Subaru and the AWD is fantastic but it also can give a false sense of security as a good set of snow tires and some common sense will be more than adequate for the majority of daily drivers in Canada.

Offline SMMN

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2015, 01:15:52 am »
The one thing that I find annoying is that the CRV does not even offer HID headlights as an option although the Touring model offers projector headlights which could be converted to HID.

I just watched a YouTube commercial for the new HRV for Indonesia I think and it offers full LED headlights (not just LED daytime running lights).

Don't you find Halogen reflector lights kind of last century technology? The Escape and CX-5 have HID options for instance.

Offline paul246

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-21
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2015, 05:24:42 am »
I have always equated the AWD system in the CR-V has having two invisible burly guys on call behind the vehicle. When the need arises they are there to give that needed extra push. This is not an off-road vehicle.

My experience when driving CR-V's through heavy snow is how well they maintain their track, they work brilliantly.... much better than my Jeep Wrangler when in 4WD.

Offline Steve C

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Mazda 3 Sport
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2015, 07:34:58 am »
Is it just me or is the CR-V and the other SUVs in it's class overpriced vs sedans in the lineup, ie, the Honda Accord. I looked at a $30,000 canadian 2015 CR-V and a 2015 Accord EX-L which is actually $200 less. I know these are different vehicles and the CR-V has AWD, but when you compare equipment levels in the two vehicles, you see how little you get for your $30,000 in the CR-V SE. For that price you DO NOT get fog lights, a sunroof, the rear cargo cover or the Lnewatch system. The seats are cloth, the adjustments are manual, the steering wheel is the cheap urethene type, the stero system is the 160 watt base model, no dual zome climate control, no seat back pockets, no illuminated vanity mirrors no Sirrus XM etc.

The Accord EX-L is pretty much loaded to the point where it seems like the deal of the century in comparison. It really lacks nothing. Now, I don't need many of the features it has, but for the same money, why not? You get leather interior, steering wheel etc, sunroof, all the safety features like multi angle rear viw camera, forward warning control, lanewatch, the 360 watt stereo sytem, electronic seat adjustments on both driver and passenger seats, dual zone climate control, seat back pockets, self dimming rear view mirrors, Sirius XM etc. This is just off the top of my head.

The CR-V SE is pretty base and cut rate for the price, but the Accord is akin to a luxury vehicle in comparison. Yes, you can load a bunch of stuff into the CR-V, but the Accord isn't small either and looks to have more driver leg room. For me it's tough to justify a CR-V over an Accord. I could also look at the much cheaper Accord Sport and have more features than the CR-V SE.

Offline paul246

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-21
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2015, 07:57:14 am »
Posted by Steve C "  For that price you DO NOT get fog lights, a sunroof,"

I don't see those listed as standard on the Accord EX-L either.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2015, 08:30:40 am »
Posted by Steve C "  For that price you DO NOT get fog lights, a sunroof,"

I don't see those listed as standard on the Accord EX-L either.

Both are standard on all Accords minus the base LX.

See: http://honda.ca/accord_sedan/specs