Author Topic: Test Drive: 2014 Fiat 500c  (Read 5259 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2014 Fiat 500c
« on: July 16, 2014, 06:28:30 am »

The 2014 Fiat 500c is perfect for a Canadian summer.

Read More...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: Test Drive: 2014 Fiat 500c
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 07:59:44 am »
Why do you show the car with a crash helmet instead of an engine in the engine compartment?    ;)
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 08:03:02 am »
What a ugly little car  :P

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 11:48:11 am »
Nailed it Jacob!

I wonder how difficult it would be for Fiat to engineer an unpowered steering system for this, and if they could get it's weighting to a reasonable level.

One of the very few cars I'd be willing to ignore the reliability stats and purchase anyway, especially the Abarth. Hugely entertaining inspite of their somewhat uncoordinated handling. The Abarth has the best soundtrack of any econobox ever.

The navigation solution that Fiat came up with is just so very Italian. We need to have a navigation system, but don't have room on the dash. Tell you what, we'll just stick a socket on the dashtop, slap in a TomTom and bam! done!. Don't want to use it? Throw in in the glove box.   
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 11:50:10 am by Sir Osis of Liver »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 11:57:24 am »
Nailed it Jacob!

I wonder how difficult it would be for Fiat to engineer an unpowered steering system for this, and if they could get it's weighting to a reasonable level.

One of the very few cars I'd be willing to ignore the reliability stats and purchase anyway, especially the Abarth. Hugely entertaining inspite of their somewhat uncoordinated handling. The Abarth has the best soundtrack of any econobox ever.

The navigation solution that Fiat came up with is just so very Italian. We need to have a navigation system, but don't have room on the dash. Tell you what, we'll just stick a socket on the dashtop, slap in a TomTom and bam! done!. Don't want to use it? Throw in in the glove box.

I did exactly that - ignored all the warnings and all the reliability stats - and unfortunately mine was a DISASTER. In a spam of 6 months, my ex-Fiat visited the dealer 4x for various problems - suspension, turbo, etc....NEVER MORE!

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 12:22:28 pm »
The speedo is also hard to read – too much form, not enough function here.
I agree.
the heated seats – a must have for any Canadian summer car.
This is mandatory for convertibles.  In Hawaii, my favourite thing to do in our Mustang Convertible rental was to drive with the top down in ANY weather, and use the climate control/heated seats to deal with temperatures.  We drove through POURING rain with the top down, but at 100km/h, no water entered the cockpit and with the heat blasting from the vents and under our bums, it was bliss.
Actually that’s only half true; in that only half the car has good visibility. Looking forward is great, looking out the driver’s side or passenger side window no drama at all
Disagree sooooooo bad.  I find the B-pillar blocks your blind-spot view terribly in the 500.  Maybe because you sit closer to the steering wheel it wasn't right there, but for my driving position, it was literally beside my face and I had to manoeuvre my head around to check my blind spot.  Uncool.
happy, happy, joy, joy

Northernridge

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 12:30:38 pm »
I like the design of the Fiat 500c. It's fresh, different, small, urban and cool. I see a lot of them in Winnipeg. It's disappointing to hear about its reliability problems but like a few others, I still think it's interesting. And the Abarth version is really intriguing. Promotion for the 500c has been refreshingly different too.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 12:49:50 pm »
I like the design of the Fiat 500c. It's fresh, different, small, urban and cool. I see a lot of them in Winnipeg. It's disappointing to hear about its reliability problems but like a few others, I still think it's interesting. And the Abarth version is really intriguing. Promotion for the 500c has been refreshingly different too.

I'm in Winnipeg as well...and see them a few times a week. Mostly the basic version and ladies. I don't know how these drivers survive in the winter! The one I had was a nightmare, I got stuck in a Starbucks parking lot, which honestly was shameful LOL....T/C on/off wouldn't make a difference.

Northernridge

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 02:17:38 pm »

I'm in Winnipeg as well...and see them a few times a week. Mostly the basic version and ladies. I don't know how these drivers survive in the winter! The one I had was a nightmare, I got stuck in a Starbucks parking lot, which honestly was shameful LOL....T/C on/off wouldn't make a difference.

I acknowledge and note your experience with the Fiat. But let's face it, last winter even snowmobiles would've had a hard time in our parking lots.  :P

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 08:25:38 pm »
Why do you show the car with a crash helmet instead of an engine in the engine compartment?    ;)

LOL! Well said! There is a photo of the new engine compartment though!

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 01:34:50 pm »
   Frankly I can't see why this little car would get stuck in snow conditions any worse than others of similar mechanical design. Which includes probably the majority of cars at this point. I like this car and think the looks and nuances are very nice. I would have gone for the Turbo though (non Abarth) if it had an automatic tranny. Cant give a shift in reality...there are others to think about. The lowered turbo gets all of the upgraded mechanical components that the screamer gets and may be a bit less brutal.
   Anyway, the moment passed and the Micra stole my vote. Bit more of a car and less of a drain on the purse strings. Still, down the road I will probably still be wondering what might have been and dreaming of those bygone...yeah...nuances. I like them.
   I am pretty sure that most folk would find the 'go' in this thing acceptable...not having driven one personally but having the similar power in the Micra. Which is just fine for me. It was more the stronger drive components of the 'T' model that made me favour it. Oh, I think it had equal length drive shafts to reduce torque steer also. Maybe this aspect might be the reason why there is no automatic...perhaps the space remaining is not sufficient.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 02:27:33 pm by Rupert »

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 01:58:02 pm »
   Frankly I can't see why this little car would get stuck in snow conditions any worse than others similar mechanical design. Which includes probably the majority of cars at this point. I like this car and think the looks and nuances are very nice. I would have gone for the Turbo though (non Abarth) if it had an automatic tranny. Cant give a shift in reality...there are others to think about. The lowered turbo gets all of the upgraded mechanical components that the screamer gets and may be a bit less brutal.
   Anyway, the moment passed and the Micra stole my vote. Bit more of a car and less of a drain on the purse strings. Still, down the road I will probably still be wondering what might have been and dreaming of those bygone...yeah...nuances. I like them.

I don't know...I felt like I didn't have enough ground clearance...example was driving in my unplowed back lane, my other vehicle would just plow through it without hitting the bottom but the Fiat would often be scraping like crazy...

Offline chignectohead

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +31/-195
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda6 2.5t
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2014, 08:11:44 pm »
I like these cars for the reasons the author states.

But it doesn't have a live rear axle, retro or otherwise- live means powered. A pickup has a live rear axle.

The 500 has a torsion beam like a Cruze, Jetta until they recently woke up, etc, etc. The usual fare on cheaper FWD cars.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2014, 05:39:16 pm »
My wife got her Fiat last December
here's a few replies on some comments

I did exactly that - ignored all the warnings and all the reliability stats - and unfortunately mine was a DISASTER. In a spam of 6 months, my ex-Fiat visited the dealer 4x for various problems - suspension, turbo, etc....NEVER MORE!
So far we've had NO unexpected dealer visits, zero mechanical issues.   
There is a slight rattle that has started from the driver side door which we'll complain about this week as she's due for an oil change.

The speedo is also hard to read – too much form, not enough function here.
When we first got the car, I really agreed and was cursing the design.  However now that I've driven the car long enough, I'm used to it and have no problem.

Actually that’s only half true; in that only half the car has good visibility. Looking forward is great, looking out the driver’s side or passenger side window no drama at all
Disagree sooooooo bad.  I find the B-pillar blocks your blind-spot view terribly in the 500.  Maybe because you sit closer to the steering wheel it wasn't right there, but for my driving position, it was literally beside my face and I had to manoeuvre my head around to check my blind spot.  Uncool.

my wife at just over 5 feet has no visibility issues.  Her seat position puts her in a great place and the B-pillar doesn't bother her.
me, at 5'9" have the seat in the worse position for the B-Pillar, an over the shoulder check is pretty much pointless.  The partial convex mirror helps a ton but it's no 100% solution and I don't trust having to nearly rely on it.

We had the worse winter in a decade.  My Matrix got stuck 3 times (2 of them I eventually got myself out)
The Fiat however never had any issues.   In a parking lot on one storm my wife warned she might need my help after work, she was certain the car would get stuck.  Two sedans and a Ford Escape got stuck but she drove out of it all with no issues. 
There is definitely an issue with ground clearance, when our road hadn't been plowed yet she'd scrape the snow but still managed ok. 

Offline Calbrez

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +2/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2014, 01:14:42 pm »
2.5 for performance? Bah.. you must have anti-italian car bias.. drive this car in Europe... wonder car, excellent performing automobile... the 4 door is our next car...

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2014, 12:20:34 pm »
2.5 for performance? Bah.. you must have anti-italian car bias.. drive this car in Europe... wonder car, excellent performing automobile... the 4 door is our next car...

he drove the 500, not a turbo or Abarth.  I'd say 2.5 is fair.
while it's a fun little car to drive, it's not fast and furious.  You're not going to be winning any drag races that's for sure.