Author Topic: Comparison Test: 2014 Ford Fiesta ST vs 2014 Mini Coopers S  (Read 20061 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile

The new Mini Cooper S is put to the test against the charmingly wild little Fiesta ST. Both are massively fun, but which will win the hearts of our Autos.ca drivers?

Read More...

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
Re: Comparison Test: 2014 Ford Fiesta ST vs 2014 Mini Coopers S
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 09:09:18 am »
the Fiesta is the darling of the hot hatch segment right now, so that tells you how good the new MINI is to best it in a comparison

well done MINI

although I still maintain the most terrier-like MINI was the old R53 generation, that car was closer to the Fiesta in power delivery and sense of occasion

might have to take it for a drive...
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-626
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 09:29:24 am »
Bah… eat healthier and the Recaros will fit just fine.  I drove for hours in those seats and loved 'em. 

PS… geez, I love these two cars.  So much fun and character.  These cars remind me of why I'm a driving enthusiast -- they bring back the fun of motoring without doing ALL the work for you.  Plus they're cheap and reliable enough to be used as a daily driver. 

:drive: :love:
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 09:32:19 am »
Bah… eat healthier and the Recaros will fit just fine.  I drove for hours in those seats and loved 'em. 

PS… geez, I love these two cars.  So much fun and character.  These cars remind me of why I'm a driving enthusiast -- they bring back the fun of motoring without doing ALL the work for you.  Plus they're cheap and reliable enough to be used as a daily driver. 

The ST was good, but the Mini was just better. The ST you'd date for a while, the Mini you'd marry.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 10:32:09 am »

The ST was good, but the Mini was just better. The ST you'd date for a while, the Mini you'd marry.

Hey you two, you should both post your complete notes (at least the ones that are PG)... there are some gems in there that also really capture the spirit and joy of these cars.
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 10:45:34 am »
For me it would come down to which one can be optioned with an honest to goodness mechanical limited slip. Car and Driver proved that on the bigger Focus the fake, electronic, brake actuated "LSD" on the Focus absolutely destroys the front brakes in one track day, that for me is a no sale.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 10:52:30 am »

Eat healthier?  I am a Boston marathon qualified runner with a resting heart rate in the 30s.  I pretty much don't have any fat to lose...and I found the seats pretty snug.  God help the average couch potato.

Speaking for the average couch potato crowd, I fit in them just fine. I have yet to find a Recaro my tuchus doesn't like.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 10:59:56 am »

Eat healthier?  I am a Boston marathon qualified runner with a resting heart rate in the 30s.  I pretty much don't have any fat to lose...and I found the seats pretty snug.  God help the average couch potato.

Speaking for the average couch potato crowd, I fit in them just fine. I have yet to find a Recaro my tuchus doesn't like.
agreed, even in my 17 year old Alfa, the Recaro seats are amazing. Supportive and supple at the same time.

Offline Ace

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +11/-61
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 14' Hyundai Santa Fe Sport , 06' Nissan XTrail
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 11:58:41 am »
The Mini is the hot hatch champ  ???  No way, what have you been smoking. Time for another Comparo test with the Golf GTI

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2014, 11:59:29 am »

The rear end is not the problem...it's the side bolsters.  But I recognize that seat comfort is a pretty personalized issue.

Not even there, my love handle...I mean six pack, fits perfectly.  ;D

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 12:07:49 pm »
For me it would come down to which one can be optioned with an honest to goodness mechanical limited slip. Car and Driver proved that on the bigger Focus the fake, electronic, brake actuated "LSD" on the Focus absolutely destroys the front brakes in one track day, that for me is a no sale.

If you do track days, you add the Quaife LSD. Problem solved. For everybody else, the basic setup is fine.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2014, 12:09:40 pm »
I'd still take the Fiesta. The seats fit me fine. It's got more doors and handling is so close to the mini as that it comes down to preference. It'll also be less likely to spend time in dealer service bays.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2014, 12:13:01 pm »

If you do track days, you add the Quaife LSD. Problem solved. For everybody else, the basic setup is fine.

Well that would resolve the issues for most FWD cars.....why isnt this a factory thing??

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2014, 12:15:26 pm »
I'd probably take either. Sounds like I'd fit in the mini a bit better though. Not sure I'd buy one here however, while pricing out an Escape I inquired about a Focus ST and the salesperson was quite up front about not allowing any test drives. You want one - drive the regular one and sit in the ST. I seem to recall the pricing not being that far off either between the Fiesta and Focus - I'd likely go with the Focus there is NO room behind the drivers seat in a Fiesta with the seat all the way back.
My other Honda is an MP4-31!

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2014, 12:16:00 pm »

Well that would resolve the issues for most FWD cars.....why isnt this a factory thing??

Dunno. The Focus RS gets the Quaife, the ST gets the electronic setup.

BTW it looks like the new RS may actually make it to NA this time.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2014, 12:17:38 pm »
I'd still take the Fiesta. The seats fit me fine. It's got more doors and handling is so close to the mini as that it comes down to preference. It'll also be less likely to spend time in dealer service bays.

Im with you on that one, the Fiesta seems much more up my alley, I like the 4 doors and hate Mini "reliability".

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2014, 12:50:53 pm »
I'd probably take either. Sounds like I'd fit in the mini a bit better though. Not sure I'd buy one here however, while pricing out an Escape I inquired about a Focus ST and the salesperson was quite up front about not allowing any test drives. You want one - drive the regular one and sit in the ST. I seem to recall the pricing not being that far off either between the Fiesta and Focus - I'd likely go with the Focus there is NO room behind the drivers seat in a Fiesta with the seat all the way back.

That's too bad about your dealer.  I was able to walk into a Ford dealer and go on a test drive no problem. 

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2014, 02:30:29 pm »

In my house, the MINI falls into the same category as say a Miata...both of which I kinda wouldn't mind having (no thanks to the likes of the fans on here I'm sure...oh how you've all influence me!), but then I might have to start seeing other men. If you know what I mean...and my wife (who's not a man) would not likely appreciate that.  Nor would I...but that's another thread...  I'd like the Fiesta meself, too...but I'm sure the Recaros would be on the yoga pants side of things. Sure they might feel good for a while, but eventually you'd feel uncomfortable having everything so squished together. I aint supermodel skinny anymore!  I'd need to procure a set of US spec base model seats, or just grab some from a regular Fiesta at a wrecking yard.  But alas, maybe I'm also too old to be tooling around in a punkass car like a Fiesta ST.                                        So a Mustang then... ;D

You don't have to be seeing other men.  It speaks volumes when at a Porsche Club Autocross event, a Miata ends up with the fastest time of the day...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2014, 02:34:09 pm »

In my house, the MINI falls into the same category as say a Miata...both of which I kinda wouldn't mind having (no thanks to the likes of the fans on here I'm sure...oh how you've all influence me!), but then I might have to start seeing other men. If you know what I mean...and my wife (who's not a man) would not likely appreciate that.  Nor would I...but that's another thread...  I'd like the Fiesta meself, too...but I'm sure the Recaros would be on the yoga pants side of things. Sure they might feel good for a while, but eventually you'd feel uncomfortable having everything so squished together. I aint supermodel skinny anymore!  I'd need to procure a set of US spec base model seats, or just grab some from a regular Fiesta at a wrecking yard.  But alas, maybe I'm also too old to be tooling around in a punkass car like a Fiesta ST.                                        So a Mustang then... ;D

You couldnt be anymore wrong about the Miata.....with a few mods they are unbeatable at a lot of track days and have sent a lot of higher end equipment home with its tail between its legs. 

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2014, 02:58:29 pm »
would take MINI.

but check all the boxes and i'm at 40+k...

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D